Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

PVP meditation balance

Been thinking about how I might try to rebalance the meditation paths. I wouldn't want to nerf SotG so much as make the other paths PvP viable.

Knowledge:

With the advent of PvE affinities, I'd make PoK protect affinities. No affinity loss in PvP with PoK (9?). That gives PoK a nice PvP-centric bonus that fits the lore, while not actually being a tactical combat bonus.

Other possibilities:

- Bonus to getting PvE affinities

- More effect from Mind Stealer

Love:

Possibilities:

- Favor cost for healing spells is halved

- Cooldown for healing spells is halved

- Difficulty for healing spells is halved

I'm not sure that's enough, but I'm having a hard time lore-wise thinking of anything else to help Love in PvP.

Power:

This path feels like a mage-path to me, so I'd pick some combo of the following (if not all):

- 25% cost reduction on priest spells (would allow high-favor priests to cast the 120 favor spells without needing batteries);

- 25% cost reduction to karma spells;

- 25% increase in power to priest combat spells;

- 25% increase in power to karma spells

Hatred:

This feels like the tactical balance to SotG, yet the level 11 bonus is on a cooldown, while SotG is a passive. I'd make the level 11 attack bonus a passive, and balance its power as needed.

Overall bonuses:

Do the obvious thing with the above paths and parcel out their 11 bonus starting at 7, like SotG.

As a crazy idea, could also be interesting to give a "resonant" path bonus for a follower of the "correct" god (or god using that god's statuette?):

Knowledge - Vyn (additional exp gain)

Love - Fo (additional healing effect)

Power - Mag (additional spell bonuses)

Hatred - Lib (additional attack power)

These bonuses could be 2.5% each at levels 5 and 6. Part of the idea is to give those levels something to look forward to, since right now they do nothing. With the level 11 bonus starting at 7, that would mean nice bonuses starting at 4 and continuing without a stop.

(Although I don't think Insanity needs a bonus to DR... :P )

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

This feels like the tactical balance to SotG, yet the level 11 bonus is on a cooldown, while SotG is a passive. I'd make the level 11 attack bonus a passive, and balance its power as needed.

what?  level 11 hate is a passive spell blocker....  hate dmg boost is from level 7

all these ideas really do is further push the fact you need to be a priest to pvp, so -1

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

all these ideas really do is further push the fact you need to be a priest to pvp, so -1

I couldn't agree more.  As a Sme priest, you already have a significant advantage fighting a non-priest.  This suggestion is a step in the wrong direction.

4 hours ago, MrGARY said:

what?  level 11 hate is a passive spell blocker....  hate dmg boost is from level 7

My bad. :P Still, making the hate damage boost a passive would make hate more interesting.

I don't know what to do about priests and PvP, other than obvious/clunky things like nerfs to priest CR.

How do you fix meditation / priests in pvp without making them useless tho? Priests will always have an advantage and place in pvp(Smeagain is op) but meditation is just completely off because without sotg you can be 1 shot with the amount of damage that is possible now. (if not one shot 2 is very possible even in good gear)

The question of priests' role in PvP is certainly fundamental, but do we really expect that dynamic to change, even with the promised priest update? I wouldn't hold off indefinitely on a med rebalance in hopes of priests eventually being nerfed in PvP.

One way or another, I'd like to see non-SotG med paths be more PvP viable.

How much of a problem are priests in combat, by the way? I can see that being able to cast spells, on top of regular fighting skills, is simply superior. How unbalancing is that? If nothing else, I can see it adding to the time required for a new account to become PVP viable, which does seem bad.

Do the spell-casting armor penalties need to be increased? Should priests be allowed to cast while wearing metal armor, or should priests not be allowed to wear metal armor at all, or even leather? Should priests get a melee CR penalty? Do we want priests to be a combat support class, not front line?

Do we need non-priest champs, who can't cast spells, but just get the DR/stat bonus? Seems odd, lorewise, but if priests in combat are a problem, then champs are that problem tenfold. Or, maybe champs could just get a small subset of combat spells to cast, and a smaller favor pool than priests (rather like the Paladin class versus the Priest class in some games).

Or, do we need different kinds of champion classes? One for warriors, and another for priests?

(While I'm thinking about it, cloth armor providing bonuses to spell-casting could be cool, by the way, especially if we could make moonmetal wire/thread to work into it, with different effects! :P)

Regardless of how you feel about PvP priests, fact of the matter is, 90% of your suggestion provides bonuses to only a priest.

You should not have to be a priest to be able to benefit from Meditation.  PvP or not.

Edited by Wargasm

18 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

How much of a problem are priests in combat, by the way? I can see that being able to cast spells, on top of regular fighting skills, is simply superior. How unbalancing is that?

healing spells in the middle of pvp are the most imbalancing and overpowered things to exist

champs/sotg/beefcakes can take a lot of hits sure, but you can break them.  until they just sit there for 10-30 seconds having a giggle and do some cure spells, aoe heals, or just nearly full heal

i have never been worried about a tough guy in pvp but anyone that can just create potentially infinite health for themselves/group makes you second guess

Edited by MrGARY

13 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

healing spells in the middle of pvp are the most imbalancing and overpowered things to exist

Have to disagree.  Truestrike.

hi

im path of power level 11 and i can only pvp effectively 15 minutes a day

can a dev let me know if i should start switching my path now to insanity or wait for the rework next year. ty

@Retrograde

Remove Sotg, lower damage output overall by a little to compensate (for pvp), then all of a sudden all paths are viable. (PoL for that extra healing, PoK for that stat gain (doesnt really do anything in pvp right there and then, but preparing is also a part of pvp), Power for that extra stam, hate for that spell immunity and damage bonus (lol))

On 1/28/2018 at 8:48 PM, Wargasm said:

Regardless of how you feel about PvP priests, fact of the matter is, 90% of your suggestion provides bonuses to only a priest.

You should not have to be a priest to be able to benefit from Meditation.  PvP or not.

- PoK: affinity protection, better PvE affinity chance, more effect from Mind Stealer. Nothing priest-specific there!

- PoL: boost existing bonuses. Yeah, they're for priests, but I didn't create those bonuses. I'd like to see something different, but I'm still not seeing anything compelling for non-priests given the lore. I suppose we could add more efficient item usage while healing, with shorter timers. A hit point bonus, or better natural regen, or "aura of regen", or 50% stat gain bonuses are non-priest possibilities, too.

- PoP: Sorcery/Spell bonuses. Spells are for priests sure, but sorcery isn't inherently for priests. If someone can think of another way to make PoP more interesting within the "power" lore, let me know.

- PoH: Swap the spell immunity down to the lower bonus, give it a timer, swap the damage bonus up to 11, make it passive (and balance damage down if needed). Also not required to be a priest. (I'll grant some folks may want permanent spell immunity over a permanent damage bonus, but the damage bonus just seems more generally useful, like SotG.)

So, of those suggestions for the four paths, the only one that actually adds anything new for priests is my PoP suggestion, and it's not entirely for priests. Plus, that suggestion also gives people a way to eventually be able to ditch batteries (which it seems a lot of people in PvE would like).

Why not just come up with some bonuses for both priests and non-priests?

If you're a priest you get some extra spells, if you're a non-priest you get some extra passives.  Simples.