Sign in to follow this  
Nobozarb

[Fixed] Unable to launch Wurm Online

A long time ago, I uninstalled Wurm Online because I found it too complicated. Today, I decided to reinstall it again. So on the main website for Wurm Online I clicked the play button and installed the game. But when I tried to launch it, after updating Java and verifying I wanted to run it and all that stuff, the launcher did not open. It created the splash screen, and then just made a white rectangle on my screen instead of opening the launcher. So I uninstalled Wurm Online. I removed it from the Java Control Panel, deleted the .jvlp file, and deleted the entire Wurm directory. Then I reinstalled it. And got the same issue... and the Wurm directory did not reappear in my user directory. Now I am worried I really screwed up by completely uninstalling the directory.

Have you checked to see if your graphics drivers are up to date?  Might be a leap but sometimes it makes the difference.  Also, and you may already know, if your running a 64bit OS make sure you install the 64bit version of java.

Edited by Nomadikhan

24 minutes ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

OS? java version? etc?

I am running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

My Java version is build 1.8.0_161-b12.

34 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Also, and you may already know, if your running a 64bit OS make sure you install the 64bit version of java.

I am pretty sure I am using Java 64 bit. I ran the Java Detection tool on Safari with my Java preferences set to show the Java console and here is what the console contained:

Spoiler

Java Plug-in 11.161.2.12 x86_64
Using JRE version 1.8.0_161-b12 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
User home directory = /Users/maxederington
----------------------------------------------------
c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
o:   trigger logging
q:   hide console
r:   reload policy configuration
s:   dump system and deployment properties
t:   dump thread list
v:   dump thread stack
x:   clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------
Initializing applet
Version: 1.8.0_161
Vendor: Oracle+Corporation
OS Version: 10.12.6
Called setUserInfo
Ending init

I believe the line "Using JRE version 1.8.0_161-b12 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM" means that I am using 64 bit Java.

45 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Have you checked to see if your graphics drivers are up to date?  Might be a leap but sometimes it makes the difference.

I checked and there is no software update for my Mac. I believe that this means there are also no updates for my graphics drivers.

I think I found something in the Mac Console around the time I launched the client, but cannot figure out what it is telling me.

Possibly I need to give wurmclient.jnlp more permissions?

19:53:18.743180 -0500    syspolicyd    assessment denied for wurmclient.jnlp
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.security.assessment.outcome2
com.apple.message.signature2: bundle:UNBUNDLED
com.apple.message.signature3: wurmclient.jnlp
com.apple.message.signature5: UNKNOWN
com.apple.message.signature: denied:no usable signature
com.apple.message.signature4: 3
SenderMachUUID: (this seems like something that could possibly be used to hijack my computer or something so I replaced it with this message)

I also found this:

added rule for wurmclient.jnlp

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.security.assessment.update

com.apple.message.signature2: bundle:UNBUNDLED

com.apple.message.signature3: wurmclient.jnlp

com.apple.message.signature5: UNKNOWN

SenderMachUUID: xxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx

Edited by Nobozarb
Located more information

Nobozarb:  If you are using Mac, just forget it.  I tried 3 Mac (Mac Air, MacBook Pro & a iMac), none worked.  I tried many ways, downgrading java, using different clients,... None work.   Even the developers of Wurm cannot solve it...

On 2/3/2018 at 9:53 AM, Rhinox said:

Nobozarb:  If you are using Mac, just forget it.  I tried 3 Mac (Mac Air, MacBook Pro & a iMac), none worked.  I tried many ways, downgrading java, using different clients,... None work.   Even the developers of Wurm cannot solve it...

I had forgotten it until today when I found the client in my Downloads folder and decided to check back here for any replies. 

Recently, I tried installing it again. I don't know what happened, but it got farther before screwing up, and actually managed to get as far as to open a window telling me that it was unable to launch the application.

Name: Wurm Online [Stable]

Publisher: CodeClub AB

Reason: org.lwjgl.openal.OpenALException

I clicked the Details button. Then the Exception tab. Then I copied the contents of the tab here:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.lwjgl.openal.OpenALException
    at jdk.deploy@9.0.4/com.sun.deploy.security.DeployURLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at jdk.javaws@9.0.4/com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at jdk.javaws@9.0.4/com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmMain.start(SourceFile:206)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$9(Unknown Source)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$11(Unknown Source)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$9(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(Unknown Source)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(Unknown Source)

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can understand what went wrong?

I don't think the developer knows how to solve this problem.  I know they are working on it but it has taken very very very very long time........

For that error message it looks as if you are using Java 9 - there is a notes elsewhere that you need to use Java 8.

But even if you do a clean uninstall of 9, a fresh install of 8 with the correct configuration settings, it still won't work if it is a newer Mac. So, I give up. I think I'm done with Wurm.