Sign in to follow this  
Alexstrasza

Deed planning contest with guaranteed prizes

I love sandbox games, but I totally lack creativity, so that's why I'm looking for creative people to help me with the sketch of my deed.

#1 What I'm looking for

While the deed itself is quite large, the area I want to build on will be quite small (21x21 at most), because I want to preserve the general natural look of the deed and make it look like a small homestead lost in the woods, not a city, a market, a castle, a cathedral or anything else like that.

- looking like a small homestead lost in the woods

- looking as natural as possible

- one living house only (for two people), but can have a few (not many) other buildings - like a barn or a storage area
- being self-sufficient (farm section, animal section, etc) for two people
- having enough room storage for everything two people need
- not having religion dedicated area, not having magic areas (like enchanted grass)
- size 21x21 at most
- the area is relatively flat, you can consider it flat for the contest purpose
- no waterfront section

#2 Contest prizes

- 10 * 3 silver (or 5 euros) guaranteed prizes for the top 10 submissions (or to all submissions if there will be less than 10 submissions)
- 1 * 30 silver (or 50 euros) for the contest winner (will select one only if there will be at least 10 submissions)

#3 Anything else

- the contest will end on February 11th, 23:59 CET, so it will be up for a bit more than two weeks

- if you want to ask for feedback on a submission and revise it later, that is totally ok, as long as you stick with the February 11th, 23:59 CET

- the top ten submissions will be selected by a community poll taking place between February 12th, 00:00 CET and February 18th, 23:59 CET on which will participate all submissions that respect the criteria from 'what I'm looking for" section

- the winner will be selected by me from the top ten submissions, as decided by the community poll, before February 25th, 23:59 CET

- multiple submissions from one person are allowed and even encouraged, but only the submission with most votes from each person will count

- submissions can be made in any form as long as they are easy to understand, comprehend, reproduce; obviously map file and clear screenshots are preferred

- making a private submission so others don't snipe your ideas is also ok; you can send it to me in a PM before February 11th, 23:59 CET, then I will post in the thread on February 12th, 00:00 CET when the polling will start

Edited by Alexstrasza
  • Like 3

Did you want them to have separate homes? Or living in a single home?

Can You plant a deed and export a terrain map so we can work on existing area or it should be planned on random ground?

34 minutes ago, Xor said:

Did you want them to have separate homes? Or living in a single home?

Definitely single house. There may be secondary building(s) for a barn, storage area, etc, but only one real house. Would obviously need more than one room though, ideally each room with its own adjacent bathroom (although from a historical POV it would probably make more sense to have a small one tile outhouse in the backyard).

23 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

Can You plant a deed and export a terrain map so we can work on existing area or it should be planned on random ground?

I will eventually try to see how I can do this since the mentioned area is not the whole deed, but just a part of it, and if I'll manage to, I'll upload it here. But it is really a flat-ish area, with just a few bumps here and there, so for the contest sake, you can just consider it a flat area.

• Like 1

If you wanna preserve the natural look and have a deed fitting to that you need to provide at last an image of the land.

PM sent, if youre not building it - i will! :D

Edit: Aw, crappers. Did@Finndarapply for this? Now im gonna lose bigtime! :unsure:

Edited by Nordlys

Personal notes

I have built 14 deeds so far and I mainly focus on looks, functionality, fit the surrounding area and small places with interesting angles.

I use some common practices but mainly I try to use optimal functionality based on game mechanics (an example is the water tile providing water on any floor I build the source, so I can place a well next to the kitchen or a fountain on a 3rd-floor terrace).

I would also like to have info on terrain, resources you have available, your personal interests or goals and carpentry /masonry skill. But eventually, I used easy materials and considered a rather low carpentry skill (54).

The main building is actually a house I still use so I will provide some pictures from the game how I decorate it. But these are just suggestions, you might have other ideas.

The Orchard

https://pastebin.com/WpgUEi8Z

The area plan consists of the house, it's "nut-gardens" surrounding it, a pen area (I placed barley /oat since you don't want enchanted grass), a farm (7x12 -a very decent size), and a workshop building with cart /wagon parking lot. I enclosed it all so you can leave the rest of your deed open and still not worry about beasties roaming in your yard. The pottery road pavement looks much better in game than in Deed Planner...

nSs8mTD.jpg

2-tile wide pottery brick road. In-game image.

Ground Floor

The ground floor includes a main lounge hall (I use it for weapons-armors racks displays storing my better gear), the tailor's room (also ropemaking), distillery for drinks and beer (also bins with nature items and animal parts), an alchemist's room (with an extra bed for a guest and a "bathroom" basically used to feed dye-making). On the outside, there is a pottery patio. The tapestries in my "suggestions" images are supposed to be amphora & pottery racks. The inverted wardrobe in alchemy room is pretending to be alchemist bench.

EZDsmsO.png

At the corner of the distillery, I use a ladder to connect with the kitchen's barrel racks area, so moving items via "haul-up" is easily used for functionality.

*Following images from my own house:

mQZUf8R.jpg

Entrance to lounge -side view

bIUMuR4.jpg

Entrance to Tailorshop -front view

zY3VkT7.jpg

Pottery patio

UpKYiRi.jpg

Alchemist's Room view1

AJoScxR.jpg

Alchemist's room view2

2RparEg.jpg

Tailor's room & Lounge

JiITtvF.jpg

Stairway to library visible here

xV8HXpi.jpg

Tailor room

2RqCXwr.jpg

and again

GgEG6DT.jpg

Distillery-brewery

1st floor:

Here we find the library, main terrace, and a small but highly functional kitchen with its own herb balcony with racks and trellises, and the barrel storage area for liquids used in recipes. Next to the kitchen is also a well (near the outer stairway) so water is abundantly available.

zZ3RXgc.png

*Following images from my own house:

c6wBY2W.jpg

Herbs balcony

yP5jB3S.jpg

Library

SxW6Nlq.jpg

Kitchen view1

Actually, here's the link with more images (so I can save post bandwidth)

https://imgur.com/a/5RYhk

2nd Floor: 

Easy stuff :)  Bedroom and a private spa-terrace with a working fountain and at the height were walnuts/ chestnuts seclude from view and offer a cozy atmosphere  >.>

QKVL0g8.png

Even more images here

Thank you for your consideration.

For questions /clarifications, you can also contact me in game

-Gavarron  (priest: Menajin)

PS: Naturally, for the well /fountains to work you need to find a water tile 1st and position the house accordingly

In the surrounding area of the main enclosure I suggest nut and fruit trees for 2 reasons:

a) You will need these resources

b ) You will not like looking at all the chopped trees around you, so you will go a bit further usually for lumber trees.

A strawberry field and a field with berrie bushes are also highly advised.

Edited by KalinMenajin

Second submission

"The PastryShop" turned into a villa?

esrg8Zv.png

Why -yes! Why not? Originally intended for a pastry shop, this design is modern, functional, complex and yet simple to use.

With lots of impressive details, at 1st glance, it might even seem small but all areas are spacious and forgiving some excess garbage that always finds its way and lays around >.>

Features a 2-tile bridge entrance, separate entrance to the private headquarters, lots of patio /terrace spaces, big workshop, enclosed horse pens, an office-library, a herbal patio, pottery under the sky and all this-   with just 50 carpentry to plan!!!

Load the Pastebin DPlanner layout and get your design today!  --errm, ok not selling it :D

A few things to consider:

DgHBjiy.jpg

Deed planner only has stone and marble bridges. However, consider making a rendered stone bridge as it's tint fits way better to marble walls than the actual marble bridges do :P

"I entered the house and didn't see the bedroom anywhere:

cFZ23Fr.jpg

Well, this is the backdoor entrance to the couple's bedroom and it doesn't connect to the rest of the house (except that elevator shaft in there) B) 

AOzGBWO.png

The office corner has featured items not in Deed Planner yet: Alchemist's Benches on the side-wall and cupboard as a desk.

But -can you imagine it? ;)

WjjgrdT.jpg

Yet more items not in Deed Planner: Amphora rack and pottery planters are represented here by tapestries :P 

(But name me someone who can work on his /her bowls, dishes, planters, etc for hours -3 stories higher than ground and under an open sky!!)

This is certainly an unusual entry and it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I envision this house as very comfy and spacious even though its design brakes the rural housing norms. Everyone makes a stone house with a wooden roof. But -just look at this beauty of a villa!

Again, thank you for your consideration on  my 2nd submission

and as always -inquiries in game to Gavarron or Menajin  o/

PS: I avoided to say this... (mostly embarrassed >.>) "The Pastry Shop" was planned to use -cough- pink/purple lamps to point out its candy-ness and cookie yumminess (that's not a word -right?)

If you choose this design and you'd like to follow my lighting plan, I'll be happy to provide placement and coloring info.

Edited by KalinMenajin

Sorry for the lack of communication, but I traveled abroad this week.

But thank you a lot for your submissions KalinMenajin!

Just two more days for the submissions part of the contest!

On 1/26/2018 at 6:51 AM, Alexstrasza said:

#3 Anything else

- the contest will end on February 11th, 23:59 CET, so it will be up for a bit more than two weeks

- if you want to ask for feedback on a submission and revise it later, that is totally ok, as long as you stick with the February 11th, 23:59 CET

- the top ten submissions will be selected by a community poll taking place between February 12th, 00:00 CET and February 18th, 23:59 CET on which will participate all submissions that respect the criteria from 'what I'm looking for" section

So... today?

Yes, the submissions phase of the contest has ended since Sunday. I waited one more day because I didn't receive at least 10 submissions, as requested. :(

The submissions I received were:
- from Findar

- from KalinMenajin (submission 1)

- from KalinMenajin (submission 2)

- from Kasumi

- from Nordlys (but he didn't qualify because he didn't respect the requirements - for example, he had two houses instead of one)

Under these conditions, there won't be a voting and a big prize (since, as mentioned in the OP for these there was a requirement of at least 10 submissions), but all four submissions that respected the rules will receive the guaranteed prize (3 silver or 5 euros at your choice).

Findar, Kasumi, and Kalin (twice) please PM me with details of how you want to receive your prizes (IGN if you want silver or PayPal address if you want euros).

Thank you all for your ideas! I won't use any of them as they are, but for sure I will borrow ideas from all of them, so it's all cool. Too bad we didn't have more participants. :(

Since it served its purpose, the thread can be closed now (or not, totally up to you, admins).

5 hours ago, Alexstrasza said:

- from Nordlys (but he didn't qualify because he didn't respect the requirements - for example, he had two houses instead of one)

Under these conditions, there won't be a voting and a big prize (since, as mentioned in the OP for these there was a requirement of at least 10 submissions), but all four submissions that respected the rules will receive the guaranteed prize (3 silver or 5 euros at your choice).

Findar, Kasumi, and Kalin (twice) please PM me with details of how you want to receive your prizes (IGN if you want silver or PayPal address if you want euros).

Thank you all for your ideas! I won't use any of them as they are, but for sure I will borrow ideas from all of them, so it's all cool. Too bad we didn't have more participants. :(

I actually have a screenshot of the OP before you edited it and put in the part about "not having two living houses". I am also ready to post my submission so people can see it fits your set rules before editing them without a notice.

The old OP only mentioned "having enough room storage for everything two persons need" - and did not mention at all that you only wanted one living house.

As theres nothing in any rules about not having two houses, i cannot see how anyone can be disqualified for that.

Not specifying the rules in a contest, like not saying that you only want one living house, and then disqualify any contestants out of the blue is not a good way to do things.

May i also mention that you wrote "- size 21x21 at most" in the rules. I made a 21x21 deed for you, but you turned it down because, i quote: "our deed is actually way bigger (think 80x60)". This is not specified in the rules either, but you suddently decided you wanted to change, without saying so first.

Oh, and its not because i want the 3 silvers, couldnt care less about those. Its just that im being treated like ###### when i actually took the time to help some random new forum user. 

Edited by Nordlys

3 hours ago, Nordlys said:

I actually have a screenshot of the OP before you edited it and put in the part about "not having two living houses". I am also ready to post my submission so people can see it fits your set rules before editing them without a notice.

The old OP only mentioned "having enough room storage for everything two persons need" - and did not mention at all that you only wanted one living house.

As theres nothing in any rules about not having two houses, i cannot see how anyone can be disqualified for that.

Not specifying the rules in a contest, like not saying that you only want one living house, and then disqualify any contestants out of the blue is not a good way to do things.

May i also mention that you wrote "- size 21x21 at most" in the rules. I made a 21x21 deed for you, but you turned it down because, i quote: "our deed is actually way bigger (think 80x60)". This is not specified in the rules either, but you suddently decided you wanted to change, without saying so first.

Oh, and its not because i want the 3 silvers, couldnt care less about those. Its just that im being treated like ###### when i actually took the time to help some random new forum user. 

Feel free to do whatever you want, anyway my decision is final.

I said one house, yours had two. I also said that this is just a section of the dead, while you made it like it is a full deed, with a house around a center token and things alike. I also said no enchanted grass, you had enchanted grass. To me is obvious that you just designed a random deed, without even checking the requirements, then just submitted. I even reiterated these things to you in PM, you could have fixed them according to my suggestions, but you haven't done so, but just kept saying that if I don't like it, you'll just use it yourself.

I'd like my participation silvers, please. For no other reason than the time I spent to post my submissions.

I PMed you but got no response. I hope it isn't intentional and you have been preoccupied IRL.