Sign in to follow this  
Vooch

New Festival Cove

Hello everyone,

I am a new player in the game.  When I arrived in Freedom Markets, I headed South to Dobra, walked East along the mountainside and saw 6 colossus statues.  I was amazed, so I swam across the water and to my surprise, the area was abandoned.  After talking to some locals and reading the forums, I learned the area was called, "Festival Cove" and was run by someone popular named @Willow.  So a couple days ago, I setup a settlement called, "New Festival Cove" in hopes of restoring the area.

My goal is to recreate Festival Cove in its former glory.  If anyone has any screenshots of Festival Cove, I would appreciate them.  Please attach them to this thread if you can.

I also need some help in understanding what is an Impalong.  Apparently, there was a few of them in the area ~2012.

This weekend I'll be in the area tweaking the permissions.  If anyone has any suggestions on tweaking permissions (eg. allowing people to drop items, loot monster corpses), please let me know.  I would like for the area to accommodate any visitors easily.

I am also recruiting citizens to help with the restoration project.  We got our first citizen yesterday on our second day!

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Vooch

• Like 12

An impalong is a multi-day gathering of the community; a festival.

One of the components is improving items and skills.   Picture a set of forges set up, one for each discipline (shield smithing in one forge, weapon smithing in one forge, chain armor smithing in one forge, etc.).   Standing at each forge are crafters who want to improve their skills.  In each forge, community members place items they want imped.  So I will walk up to a blacksmithing forge, put in my "rare hatchet, iron", and wait a few hours for one of the artisans to imp it up.  I get an imp'd hatchet, the artisan gets blacksmithing ticks, and everyone's happy.  This scales out to all the crafts (including cooking and ship building), and also religion -- there's an area for priests to conduct sermons and enchant items.

Another component of impalongs is social, of course.  Local is very active and it's a good way to have fun and meet people from all over the Freedom isles.

A big component of impalongs is GM engagement.  GMs will spawn waves of fun monsters -- from deer named Bambi to big sea serpents named Fluffy and everything in between.  A good time to protect the crafters, kill some MOBs, get some fighting skill, and of course, die. 

One day you may choose to host an impalong. If you do, "make it your own".  Figure out what would make a good community event, and host it.  My advice to you as a new player on Indy is to embrace Kingdom chat.  We're very friendly and are supportive of one another.  

Edited by Finndar
  • Like 2

The Festival Cove Tunnel Renovation is completed. 2 wide entrance by Dobra, 3 wide exit on the other end, Floors are mostly flat, reinforced, paved in sandstone bricks. Catseyes all the way thru with waystones at the ends.

The road from end of tunnel to festival cove along the coast is still 1 lane.

Glad to see someone deeded at the old Festival Cove site.

Good luck.

• Like 10

Thank you all for the information.  I really appreciate it.  Very useful stuff.

- Vooch

What I would suggest is that rather than trying to recreate exactly what was there, that you recreate the "spirit" of the place, but with your own design.  We have so many more design options today than existed back in 2012.  If your goal is to host an Impalong at New Festival Cove someday, I suggest that you travel the servers meeting with other players who have hosted an Impalong over the last few years.  From that you will get an idea of what will work for you and still reflect your personal style.

Good luck, and welcome to Wurm!

• Like 3

This is awesome, I remember heading up that colossus project :P

good luck man cant wait to see that place up and running again! thank you :)

• Like 1

We stumbled across Vooch and his crew a few days ago when we were heading out to do some quick highway surveys for last weeks Albia Map's updating.

While Skyefox went over to survey the new CE Hwy network in the NE of the Grand Steppe, I delayed my planned survey of the new bridge at the West End of Crystal Lake and stopped to explain how highway system's worked.

I explained the "twinning" of the FC Tunnel entrances by Zorako and his friends and asked if I could please run "twinned" (ie: two tiles wide) Cats Eye Hwy thru New Festival Cove from the junction of West Coast Hwy up the hill to his SE over to the FC Tunnel.

We discussed where to put it that would leave of 95% of the old Festival Cove untouched and ready for restoration and he was happy to give his blessing for a proper highway connection NFC to the rest of the world and we started work.

Took all day but there is now a CE Hwy thru New FC heading up towards the FC Tunnel.

I also took the time to explain with example's how to properly set up Village Role permissions so that a new person joining his team would not accidentally do damage and how to properly secure his village to stop people walking off with stuff.

... oh and also repaired all the Colossus's there per his request.  We wish him good luck with the project.  Nice to see the old place coming back to life.

Cheers! Hughmongus

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 5:59 PM, Vooch said:

This weekend I'll be in the area tweaking the permissions.  If anyone has any suggestions on tweaking permissions (eg. allowing people to drop items, loot monster corpses), please let me know.  I would like for the area to accommodate any visitors easily.

I always check for non-citizen role at least: forage/botanize, repair/improve, butcher, groom, drop, dig clay/peat, unload.

If you decide you don't want any of them, you can always change your mind.

Also, I make sure to set the beds in buildings as being able to be slept in for free, no matter if it's "my" chosen bed or not. You get sleep bonus for sleeping, but there's a maximum of 5h of sleep bonus. After you get it, the bed you sleep in becomes available for the weary traveler to use.

Lock your doors and set permissions on the houses you want accessible to "kingdom" "may enter", this way everyone can, and mobs stay away. Those you don't want accessible make sure they aren't.

You may want to have a mailbox accessible (typically it's near the token), and generally it would be nice for the area to be easily passable, e.g. the highway coming to the deed should ideal continue naturally towards the other side of the deed and connect to the rest.

Welcome to the game! It's an awesome choice of server and place, enjoy it :)

• Like 2

Glad the New Festival Cove rose again and finally we get this highway done, Bravo!

Unfortunately I'm still not able to play often (0-2h per week), but will try to jump there and say hello at least :) 

FYI I'm Dobra mayor.

• Like 1

The Factional Fight guys made a few videos of the 2012 Impalong at Festival Cove.  I hope these help capture the essence of the area.    Please remember that this was five years ago and Wurm has come a long way since then.  We worked longer and harder, but became stronger.  :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbyueWR8Ido  Journey to the Impalong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p2W7oAKifQ  The Impalong Arrival and Mayhem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvH8ZVO_huY  Saturday Night Factional Fight Plays Deal or No Deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofM4PjjvzaY  Impalong Recap and Goodbyes

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to post here, but every time I get home, I login the game and continue building until i go to bed.  Exciting things have been happening at New Festival Cove!

First off, I'd like to thank @Hughmongus for building the highway through the town.  I spent a day with him, but he spent another 2 days finishing it off.  Then, he repaired the six colossus statues, and he placed two guard towers for us to build based on my rough location estimates.

@Explora Thank you for the awesome pics!

@GoldFever I like your idea of recreating the spirit of the place rather than an exact replica.

@Alectrys thank you for the awesome videos!  That was very helpful in showing how the town used to look.

@Syirian It's nice to know you're the Dobra Mayor and our neighbor.

We've made a lot of progress over the past two weeks:

(1) We got the first of two new Guard Towers built this week!  @Hughmongus if you're reading this, the first tower got kicked 1 tile East upon completion.

(2) We're also building some stables so citizens can do animal husbandry.  We've got a ram, sheep, bull, and cow.  And, we have our first two newborns:  a sheep and a cow.  Hopefully, we'll get some bulls and horses soon.

(3) All citizens (there's 6 of us now) have completed their first homes.

(4) We added an Epic Portal next to the town mailbox.

(5) We started adding lighting, but I read we're cramming too many together (Edit:  it's called, "Street Lamp Crowding"), so instead of placing lamps every other tile, we're going to have 4 tiles between each one.  (Edit:  NOTE:  From what I've read it's "50+ QL can be placed 5 tiles apart and still give very good coverage.  Mine range from QL 19-60".)

(6) We expanded the mine (by opening two entrances) so there are now thousands of tiles to mine.

(7) We added a farm so citizens can eat.  We serve hot food daily!

Anyways, that's our update!

Edited by Vooch
  • Like 5

@HughMongus,

This past weekend, with the generous help of Goddessotu, we got the second Guard Tower in New Festival Cove operational.

We also built a road North of the Guard Tower on the West Coast Highway that extends into our area where new citizens are building.

-Vooch

I've got some exciting news.

Last week we launched a website https://NewFestivalCove.com that shows a list of projects we're doing.

Let me know what you think of it.

- Vooch

• Like 2

I've always been so hung up on RL around x-mas. Still i think it would be great to see this tradition come back.

I used to live with Willow at her Prima Casa deed, just beside Festival Cove. If you need any help, I remember where the buildings were. I think I have a Google document with the zoning of the deed; I'll scramble my HD and get back to you on that. 

Sadly, she's at 1002 days last seen online... Willow was a great mentor!

On 3/2/2018 at 4:35 PM, Allenkey said:

I used to live with Willow at her Prima Casa deed, just beside Festival Cove. If you need any help, I remember where the buildings were. I think I have a Google document with the zoning of the deed; I'll scramble my HD and get back to you on that. 

Sadly, she's at 1002 days last seen online... Willow was a great mentor!

Allenkey,

Let me know if you find that Google document!

Thank you,

Vooch

Alectrys and Explora, brought back some wonderful memories with the pics and videos,  Even got to see them ride by Silvir's and my old deed on the way down the slope, and our nice blue houses.  Thank you for bringing this area back to life.

Congrats on making New Festival Cove, I had a lot of fun at one of the last Impalongs there.  I saw the 'fat farm' question on the website, how about Leftover Ranch or Causal Critters?  :)

You should consider asking @Gumbohow his Deal or No deal thing was set up and recreate that :)

Hello @Gawain,

I was actually fortunate enough to see @Gumbo 's "Deal or No Deal" game via a YouTube video someone here shared with me.

It's located at:

The video is awesome!

Currently, this area is called, "Leftover Ranch" - a name chosen by @Dorian.  As our website says, "we’re going to give out these animals to citizens, alliance members, or anyone on the Independence server, based upon need."  Reference:  https://newfestivalcove.com/?p=359

Thanks,

Vooch

Edited by Vooch
  • Like 3