header.png

Jackal - Icbash

Hi Everyone!

Retrograde back with this edition of the Valrei International, we've got a few hints and teases coming today, so lets get started! 

But first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Changes and additions:

• We have adjusted some creatures spawn tile requirements to prevent the over abundance of seal colonies on rocky shores. Rats can now spawn on rock near water and seals may spawn on beaches. We’ll continue to monitor locations of large seal colonies.
  • The ability to dig dirt or resources directly into a pile has been added. The keybind dig_to_pile will allow you to dig dirt and other resources and have them go into a pile at your feet.  Once the pile is full, the resources will go into inventory. This is only available via the keybind which can be set in the console or in the keybind tab on the settings page.
  • Hell horses now have new colour names to differentiate them from regular horses.
    • Brown > Cinder
    • Gold > Envious
    • Black > Shadow
    • White > Pestilential
    • Grey > Ash
    • Ebony Black > Molten
    • Piebald Pinto > Nightshade
    • Blood bay > Incandescent
  • Examining a live horse or hell horse will now give it’s colour in the examine message.
  • Title for masonry 100 added – Another Brick In The Wall
  • Sealed containers can now be placed on merchants.
  • Sealed dye containers will now show the RGB in the title.

Affinity System Adjustments:

Overkilling Changes:

(Note: Overkilling is the mechanic that stops any skillgain, affinity gain, rank bonuses etc from killing a player too often)

• The time limit of 3 hours between kills to trigger overkilling of another player (after having killed them at least 3 times already per player) has been increased to 6 hours.
  • Overall kills on a single player are now tracked, and will count as overkilling if killed more than 3 times by any other player in a short time.
    • When killed in PvP a player will gain a death count and a 3 hour timer will tick down.
    • If killed while that timer is ticking down, another death count will be gained, and the timer will reset to the 3 hour mark and start again.
    • After this timer has ticked down, a death is removed from their count and the timer will reset if any death counts remain.
    • If a player’s death count increases over 3, then any PvP kills against them will count as overkilling until that death count is again below 3.

Affinity Changes:

• When using a skill premium characters will now have a small chance to gain an affinity in that skill upon a successful skill check.
    • On average once every 2 hours, a character will open a 15s window of time where every successful skill check will have a chance to gain an affinity in that skill. (e.g if you are mining during this window, you could gain an affinity in mining, pickaxe, miscellaneous items, body stamina, body strength, soul strength, mind logic, mind, soul, or body)
    • The chance to gain an affinity is 1/500 if you have no affinities in that skill, 1/1000 if you have one affinity, 1/1500 if you have two affinities, 1/2000 if you have 3 affinities and 1/2500 if you have 4 affinities.
    • If an affinity is successfully gained during the 15s window, the window will reset and no more will be able to be gained until the next window on that character.
    • This window will remain open and check every skill tick until an affinity is gained or the 15 seconds is up.
    • We will be monitoring these chances and making changes as necessary.
  • Stealing affinities upon killing a character in PvP has changed:
    • If the dead character only has one affinity total, they will not lose that affinity and the killer will not gain an affinity.
    • If the dead character has more than one affinity, then a random one is lost and may go to the killer.
      • If the dead character has more affinities in that skill than the killer, then the killer will gain that affinity 100% of the time.
      • Otherwise, the chance for the killer to gain the affinity is dependant on the difference between the number of affinities in that skill each player has (before the dead character loses the affinity).
      • If the difference is 0, the chance is 50% for the killer to gain the affinity. Difference of 1 is 25%, difference of 2 is 12.5% and difference of 3 is 6.25%.
    • If an affinity is lost by the dead character and none gained by the killer, then the killer will receive a timed affinity in that skill that will last for a week.

Client Changes:

• Bugfix: Various objects should not re-appear in wrong places after traveling
  • Bugfix: Keybinds set for GRAVE key will now save correctly

Bug Fixes:

• Bugfix: An issue causing continued lag on Elevation since the release of 1.6 has been identified and addressed. We will continue to monitor the server for any instances of extended lag
  • Bugfix: You should no longer be able to drag more than 100 items into the saddlebags or saddle sacks.
  • Bugfix: The 2017 Saddle Sack gifts should no longer decay.
  • Bugfix: A roof on a south or east building border tile should no longer block wall plans.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue with keybind for combine fragment not working properly.
  • Bugfix: Fillets of fish and meat should no longer change to generic fish/meat fillets when dragging from one bulk container to another.
  • Bugfix: Weight reduction runes on tool and weapon heads will be ignored so that the items can be used for creation and not return a too little material message.
  • Bugfix: Corrected various text messages.
  • Bugfix: Fixed Valrei scenario mission rewards being awarded incorrectly.
  • Bugfix: You should no longer be able to resize a deed with enemy presence.
  • Bugfix: Removed double taste and drink option on sealed containers with something activated in inventory.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue with control-click and dragging containers inside containers.
  • Bugfix: You can now drag items directly into containers inside equipped saddle sacks/bags.
  • Bugfix: Disallowed PvP opportunity attacks on other players on PvE servers, except in spars/duels.
  • Bugfix: Removed double application of bloodthirst for archery on Epic.

Affinity review

It's been a week since the affinity system has been implemented, we've followed the effects over the past days, with nearly 200 affinities being gained across the servers. 

We'll be looking at making some adjustments based on observations, feedback, and the general flow, but we're extremely happy with how this system is working, congratulations to those who have received one so far, and good luck to everyone else! (Myself included, I need PAS affinities!)

Preview and LWJGL (bless you)

With work on the client coming along at blistering speed, we'll be launching a new development client, called preview. 
The preview client will be used for early release of major updates, much like the testing phase for the 4.0 client, and soon it will be used for another major update.

The first release of the preview client will be running the LWJGL 3 library (stable is currently running the LWJGL 2 library) so it's a big step up

With this will come improved memory usage, more modern graphics rendering systems, and is the first step on implementing the new UI (As the new UI relies on the updated LWJGL 3)

This preview client will be fairly limited in it's testing phase, so we will urge everyone to try it out once available so any major issues can be reported and addressed before it replaces the current client. 

Forge cleaning
A long running request has been to have a way to utilise forges in order to generate ash, and in the next update we'll be adding the ability to collect ash out of unlit forges

It will take a few things into account including firemaking skill, and we'll have the full details available in the patch notes

Keeping track
Another change coming will be the ability to add little notes for your friends. Reminders such as who you purchase bulk goods from, or what deed someone is in will be a huge help in keeping track of everyone, especially if you're a social butterfly! 

Upcoming works 
There's a lot more in the works, with muttering, tinkering, and the occasional cry of triumph coming out of the dev team quarters, I've been given a few hints and teases and I must say, I am so excited for what's coming I can barely wait to share more with you, but alas, I must! 

Community Content

This editions community content will have a few!

Wurm Unlimited eSports!

Launched by Darklords, a competitive 3v3 group PvP competition was held on wurm two weeks ago. With the aim to teach players PvP tactics in an environment that had no items lost or skills to grind, a 2 gold prize pool lured some players out to find out if they had what it takes to win. 

The competition was fierce, but the team "The Abusement Park" took home the title and the winnings!

The full thread of details and videos from the fights can be found here:

Q&Emoo
Last Wednesday, Wurms lovable Fosters drinker jumped on stream to ride around and kill horses, collect coins, and invited some watchers into Discord to chat, I was among those who joined in and we chatted a little bit about the game, as well as plans for 2018. Emoo is back with his Wurm Wednesday streams, and I'll certainly be thrilled to sit down, imp plate armour, and listen to him deny having a Fosters tattoo on his upper right shoulder. 

Check out his thread and stream location here:

Naked and afraid

Getting started in Wurm is scary business, wolves eat you, pigs eat you, and don't even talk about what the pheasants used to do. Our very own Yaga has been working hard on building an updated wiki guide to getting started in Wurm, with information about guards, stamina, finding other players, and even why so many actions are failed. 

What other questions would you like to see added?

Check out the guide (and recommend it to the next newbie you see) here! 

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Your_first_days_in_Wurm_Online

That's it for this edition folks, I'll be back next fortnight, with more news of what's coming, what's come, and what Keenan had for breakfast. 

Until then though, keep on wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 23

Yes! Ash from forges - finally.  And now I'm reminded to check my coal piles.

37 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Upcoming works 
There's a lot more in the works, with muttering, tinkering,

I was all excited about these new skills...

Seriously though, I can't wait to try the preview client.  Hurry up with that :)

Dig to pile = AWESOME!

i can’t wait to try the preview client and check out the new UI. And maybe it will run better on the old hunk of junk I’m using at the moment lol

\o/

<3 @Yaga :D

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 1

Pvp affinities and the chance needs to be looked at. More peeps on a tab should = bigger chance for enemy to drop since you roll against fellow team mates aswell. Champs should always drop too. If the enemy only have one affinity then you should give out a temp affinity. If people on tab miss out, they should get temp affinity. 

Some feed back

Edited by Mclavin

Can't wait to see what Keenan's having for breakfast. Great update! Cheers!

• Like 1

This 'Preview' thing sounds very promising. Can't wait to try it out.

Upcoming works 
There's a lot more in the works, with muttering, tinkering, and the occasional cry of triumph coming out of the dev team quarters, I've been given a few hints and teases and I must say, I am so excited for what's coming I can barely wait to share more with you, but alas, I must! 

Not fair, not fair at all. :P

Some nice stuff, thanks.

Just leaving this here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Upcoming works 

Please tell me that one of these is animal crates? Or even just a date for animal crates...

• Like 2

animal crates is the new rocky asking for bridges

hope the new client does some wonders

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Forge cleaning
A long running request has been to have a way to utilise forges in order to generate ash, and in the next update we'll be adding the ability to collect ash out of unlit forges

It will take a few things into account including firemaking skill, and we'll have the full details available in the patch notes

Seems I remember not long ago making a post in S&I about forges being enabled to produce ash (as some WU server forges do). As there were a lot of negative responses I am quite surprised to read something along these lines is coming to WO. Hopefully it will be more than just a token change with minimal benefit and have some real substance to it. We shall see...

Also, caught me off guard with this VI-51 being posted on Thursday now. Forgot about the change.

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Upcoming works 

More surprises to come!

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Nice work on the newbie guide, also eager to see the client in action. Thanks.

Animal crates coming out just for same server would be a cool step.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ayes said:

Seems I remember not long ago making a post in S&I about forges being enabled to produce ash (as some WU server forges do). As there were a lot of negative responses I am quite surprised to read something along these lines is coming to WO. Hopefully it will be more than just a token change with minimal benefit and have some real substance to it. We shall see...

Notice it says "unlit forges."  I too hope it isn't just a minimal benefit, but if I was to make a guess, I'd guess a very small amount of ash and people will have to snuff the forge, take the ash, relight the forge, wait, snuff the forge, take the ash, relight the forge, wait, etc, etc, because no feature in WO can come without it's requisite pita. lol.  I doubt it's going to be like the WU feature. Then again, maybe they'll rethink the "unlit" part of it. Or not.  **shrugs**

• Like 1

Hey when are the WU devs going to fix the nvidia driver problem? I can't play with the latest drivers and I'm certainly not going to risk the integrity and performance of an older driver on other games at the expense of WU.

19 hours ago, ozmods said:

any news on WU update as yet??

I have been sacked with issues that have taken me away from getting a WU update done, and unfortunately I am dealing with another one this weekend as my grandmother passed away yesterday. I will be focusing on WU when I return at the end of next week.

18 minutes ago, Huntar said:

Hey when are the WU devs going to fix the nvidia driver problem? I can't play with the latest drivers and I'm certainly not going to risk the integrity and performance of an older driver on other games at the expense of WU.

If you have not already, please post a detailed bug report in the proper section. For what it's worth, I run nVidia as well and have not had any issues, though it depends on how recent of an update. I've not had the time to hop on WU in the last week or two and my drivers may be out of date. If it's something we've already fixed in WO's client (and this is starting to sound familiar, so we may have) then it will be out in the next beta (see above). If it's something new then we will need to see what the issue is. Finally if it really is on nVidia's side, there may not be much to do besides roll back the driver version.

Again though, this isn't the place for support. Please use the appropriate forums if you expect work to be done. You're simply lucky I took a few minutes between running around like mad so I can fly to my family tomorrow to see this. Also thank Icbash for linking it in a discord server. :)

12 hours ago, Amadee said:

Notice it says "unlit forges."  I too hope it isn't just a minimal benefit, but if I was to make a guess, I'd guess a very small amount of ash and people will have to snuff the forge, take the ash, relight the forge, wait, snuff the forge, take the ash, relight the forge, wait, etc, etc, because no feature in WO can come without it's requisite pita. lol.  I doubt it's going to be like the WU feature. Then again, maybe they'll rethink the "unlit" part of it. Or not.  **shrugs**

The idea is more that ash becomes a passive by-product of using a forge, not that the forge becomes an optimal way of producing ash. It's also an optional by-product, meaning those who care not to collect the ash are not penalized in anyway. It will be up to you to decide how you best wish to produce ash and in what quantity and quality. The main focus is quality of life in the sense that the fuel you burn in a forge yields both heat and ash. We are very keen on the fact that some of you spent a good deal of time working on firemaking and we are not interested in negating that effort with a new mechanic.

39 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I have been sacked with issues that have taken me away from getting a WU update done, and unfortunately I am dealing with another one this weekend as my grandmother passed away yesterday. I will be focusing on WU when I return at the end of next week.

If you have not already, please post a detailed bug report in the proper section. For what it's worth, I run nVidia as well and have not had any issues, though it depends on how recent of an update. I've not had the time to hop on WU in the last week or two and my drivers may be out of date. If it's something we've already fixed in WO's client (and this is starting to sound familiar, so we may have) then it will be out in the next beta (see above). If it's something new then we will need to see what the issue is. Finally if it really is on nVidia's side, there may not be much to do besides roll back the driver version.

Again though, this isn't the place for support. Please use the appropriate forums if you expect work to be done. You're simply lucky I took a few minutes between running around like mad so I can fly to my family tomorrow to see this. Also thank Icbash for linking it in a discord server. :)

Here's a post of another player having the same issue, I don't even get a log, my game freezes and I have to manually close it through task manager because the second I log in after loading the launcher, the game loads for a split second then just freezes. I've reinstalled it and everything, and this post leads me to believe its the most recent nvidia update since I wasn't having this issue two weeks ago. It just suddenly -happened-.