Sign in to follow this  
JonsJava

[TOOL] Wurm Unlimited Friendly Linux Server Installer

So, I got Wurm Unlimited during the Steam Winter Sale last month, and it was everything I was hoping it would be!

The issue is that installing a Linux server SUCKED.  The docs were bad at worst, and recommended bad things to have it run in the background.  Also, it was missing key information -- things like "what do the kingdom numbers mean" and "I need a 'gamedir' blank file in the directory for the server files?"

Sooo.  I'm a DevOps (Development Operations) Engineer by trade, so I decided to do what I know best: automate all the things!

Today, I released the v0.1.0 beta release of Wurm Unlimited Friendly Linux Server Installer 

What it does:

* Asks you for how you want the server configured

* Ensures that you put in good values

* Tries to give best guesses at things as the default values (server IP, for example)

* Provides a friendly, easy-to-use user interface for the install (99% of the people who use it won't have to type in the console past pasting the install command in)

And here's the link: 

https://github.com/jonsjava/wurm_unlimited_server

Scroll down to the README output to see how to install.

Hope everybody likes, and feedback is always appreciated.

Here's some pictures of the installer:

Set the bind address (server IP)

set_ip.png

Set Admin Password

set_password.png

Set Homekingdom

set_homekingdom.png

Set Server Type (Creative/Adventure) -- If the Home Kingdom only works on a single server type, it auto selects the server type for you.

server_type_selection.png

Edited by JonsJava
Forgot to add link -- derp.
  • Like 4

It's truly ugly, but the important thing is to work and do what it's intended to do.

Thanks for sparing the time and sharing!

lol. Ugly yes, but it's intended as the nicer interface for a headless install. Most Headless Linux installers look like this.

I chose this, because I assume if you're running a dedicated Linux server, you're not putting a GUI on it.

The "UI" is standard, not something I wrote

Here's some examples:

Accepting True Type Font EULA on Ubuntu:

3T0Jb.png

Accepting Xen Server EULA (released last year, and used by companies like Rackspace and Amazon):

3.PNG

Edited by JonsJava
clarification
  • Like 1

Completely agree that the headless server software and documentation need some TLC. Thank you for your efforts on this.

• Like 1

Even if in my personal opinion is that people without clue about servers, maintenance, DevOps in general, should not host, configure and run any server, still this tool is amazing. Saves time. Have not looked into source, but does it support multi server configuration?

• Like 2

On 1/24/2018 at 3:28 PM, Finnn said:

It's truly ugly, but the important thing is to work and do what it's intended to do.

Thanks for sparing the time and sharing!

You are so wrong...  This UI is what FUNCTIONAL servers look like - no GUI, just character based interface.  This is elegant.

THIS is what the pros always see.  :-)

• Like 1

Realy nice idea man, i only have one problem. I´m using the last version of ubuntu. I finish the installations with succes with 0 errors but the process is not active and doesn't exists.