Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

lakes should freeze over in winter

winter should be a lot tougher, as in lakes frozen over, blizzards, not just the occasional snow flakes, and so on.

just because some cant read, i've bolded LAKES, i am not referring to oceans, i mean LAKES, that can be easily walked around, i am not talking about freezing the ocean, that wouldnt make a lick of sense, and i'm well aware, that wurm is set in temperate and not arctic, but it was just an idea.

Edited by ozmods
  • Like 2

I'd be happy with just increasing the length but too many people complain about winter. I agree it should be a tougher time; Crops should grow slower (if at all), water freezing, requiring wool clothing etc.

+1

Edited by Budzilla
  • Like 2

Well. Always +1 from me on tougher natural environment. :)

I'm afraid the game moves in the opposite direction for a long while though. (with some exceptions like rifts, and even those are toned down and avoiding savagely deeds...)

Would be good in an "Artic Biome" (we currently have all servers in a temperate biome) but not a good fit for current maps due to history.

+1. Exposure should be a thing, too. :)

I could see freezing tiles within X tiles of a land tile, so the more "ocean" tiles wouldn't freeze.

2 hours ago, Joelle said:

-1 because boats are a thing

i'm not talking about "oceans" i'm talking about lakes, small areas of water, that could be traveled around by simply walking,

Well as it stands, the water level in Wurm is really just a visual(though it provides the ability to drink from it if the NW corner is under the "water level"). This water level in Wurm is across the entire server, regardless of the terrain or ground height. What this means is that in Wurm there are no "lakes", there are no "ponds" there are just areas where the ground is low enough to expose the water level underneath, so freezing it wouldn't be possible. You would need a massive mechanics overhaul on water in Wurm to achieve what is really just an immersion enhancement. While the idea is cool, perhaps bundle in many other ideas for beneficial water mechanics in Wurm to add to having lakes freeze over ?

+/-1

• Like 5

I'm fine with lakes freezing over, it may even be fun if we could skate on them, but I'm happy with winter not having other nasty side effects on other things like crops, cold exposure, etc.

-1 to entire lakes, +1 to water up to maybe 5 or 10 tiles away. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

-1 to entire lakes, +1 to water up to maybe 5 or 10 tiles away. 

This and the ability to bash the ice if the 5 to 10 tiles were blocking anything.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 10:42 PM, Shrimpiie said:

Well as it stands, the water level in Wurm is really just a visual(though it provides the ability to drink from it if the NW corner is under the "water level"). This water level in Wurm is across the entire server, regardless of the terrain or ground height. What this means is that in Wurm there are no "lakes", there are no "ponds" there are just areas where the ground is low enough to expose the water level underneath, so freezing it wouldn't be possible. You would need a massive mechanics overhaul on water in Wurm to achieve what is really just an immersion enhancement. While the idea is cool, perhaps bundle in many other ideas for beneficial water mechanics in Wurm to add to having lakes freeze over ?

+/-1

I suspected it may have worked like this. However, is it possible that the game could look at where the land dips below the water table and for small lakes,no more than 20 tiles or some such thing, it can generate an ice sheet just above the water layer?

As for benefits, my main assumptions are traveling shortcuts, open hunting grounds in the middle of forests, and the ability to cut blocks of ice out. I would like to see blocks of ice for our larders. It would be even nicer if they were larger and more effective then snowballs. Don't get me wrong, I love snowballs for throwing but I'd rather just cut a few blocks out of a nearby lake for filling my larders.

• Like 1

I don't think you'll need to sail across small lakes. You could take a wagon instead if you did.

3 hours ago, Lianya said:

I don't think you'll need to sail across small lakes. You could take a wagon instead if you did.

Out of curiosity, do you consider a lake connected to the ocean by canal something that should be frozen? What if the lake is connected to the ocean by tunnel?

lake1
leɪk/
noun
noun: lake; plural noun: lakes
  1. a large area of water surrounded by land.
    "boys were swimming in the lake"
    synonyms: pond, pool, tarn, reservoir, lagoon, waterhole, inland sea, swim; More
    loch, lochan;
    lough;
    bayou, pothole (lake);
    moana;
    sagar;
    literarymere
    • the Lake District.
      plural proper noun: Lakes; plural noun: the Lakes
    • a pool of liquid.
      "the fish was served in a lake of spicy sauce"
    • a large surplus of a liquid commodity.
      "the EU wine lake"
i cant make it any simpler than this, a body of water surrounded by land,  a lake that you can walk, or cart your way around..

52 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

Out of curiosity, do you consider a lake connected to the ocean by canal something that should be frozen? What if the lake is connected to the ocean by tunnel?

I would say yes in real life no in Wurm by virtue of the system needing simple calculations. If the dip is completely enclosed then generate an ice sheet. If it opens, even a tile wide, out to the ocean ,which is not surrounded by land, then no ice sheet. If the lake exceeds the tile limit for a small lake, for example x tiles below the water table or smaller, then no ice sheet.

I think Lianya just attempted to define what would be considered `an affected lake`
A landlocked body of water. 

Course most landlocked bodies of water have canals thesedays. so im not sure it'd apply to any of them. 

• Like 1

True but you could still dig down say a four tile "lake" for the purpose of getting ice that would need no canal. Not too much different than trying to create love tiles.

34 minutes ago, Lianya said:

True but you could still dig down say a four tile "lake" for the purpose of getting ice that would need no canal. Not too much different than trying to create love tiles.

It as Shrimpie said, there is only one water in the game, and its at the same level, until the river feature comes out there can be no lakes.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 9:41 AM, Lianya said:

...However, is it possible that the game could look at where the land dips below the water table and for small lakes,no more than 20 tiles or some such thing, it can generate an ice sheet just above the water layer?

The game could spawn an "ice sheet" on the tile just above water level. It doesn't matter. You could remove the water plane and still generate an ice sheet model on tiles meeting the requirements. It would be similar to how one can change conditions so that it will be right to generate a love tile.

Honestly?  +1

Why?  Because it could lead to useful new magics (a nice ward to melt ice around one's ship....)