Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Stub Skills

On 1/23/2018 at 11:49 PM, Stormblade said:

Carpentry Knife and Butchering Knife. Just combine them into Knives.

Seriously, 6 skills for each single different shield type? Hell, Small = small, med = med, large = large

Clubs skill, just move Huge Club to Mauls, or move it into Misc Items like Iron Hammer.

Yet none of these items are in there as subs.  Just move warhammers ( is there such a thing? ) Table of Weaons Nope, so absolutely pointless unless it's some kinda Legacy thing from Waaaaay back when.

And what is your solution for people with very high skill in all these skills that are gonna be combined?  Find some calculation to add the skill to the other?  I've dealt with unfair skill changes already like the epic boost giving estimated stamina as well as the merge to freedom skills in many cases,  I wouldn't be looking forward to more

Warhammers is raised by an artifact which exists still. 

9 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

Pottery. There is no item that benefits from being high quality. You say compasses? Beverages and misc play as much, or a bigger, part in making them than the pottery.

The ql of all parts matter as far as im aware so if you want an actually high ql compass...  Also smelting pots, you need high ql to smelt high ql stuff.  Very useful for glimmer/addy medallions that are 99ql from hotas, but also for recycling old items as imping lumps

8 hours ago, Flubb said:

The worst stub I'd argue is climbing, however. As Anarres implied, the action "Climbing" profits MUCH more from body stamina.

I'm at a loss what to give it, though. Just making it reduce the stamina use further doesn't really justify it as a skill.

I daresay it should give you the ability to regenerate stamina slowly on slopes below a threshold determined by the skill, but that'll have everyone who uses climbing as an artificial way of stopping stamina regen for skilling up in arms. Not that I don't do that myself when I'm working with sparse resources, but that would honestly make more sense to me, especially in terms of making climbing a viable skill.

Hell, a slow regeneration as if your water levels was at 10% on eligible slopes would even help with that skilling trick. but then there's PvP and their concerns about it. So yeah, for Firemaking, Tracking, Papyrusmaking etc. I can at least see reasonable suggestions that would be uncontroversial, but there isn't even an obvious "fix" to climbing.

Hmm. Move more quickly while climbing? Allow normal walking on steeper slopes? Allow heavier loads while climbing?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Find some calculation to add the skill to the other?  I've dealt with unfair skill changes already like the epic boost giving estimated stamina as well as the merge to freedom skills in many cases,  I wouldn't be looking forward to more

Not really the same thing. The Epic skill boost and Freedom to Epic ( and other way around ) conversion was a totally different system.

With this it is more of Small Metal Shield Skill = 89, Small Wooden Shield = 65, consolidated skill would then give them the highest, Small Shield Skill = 89.  Don't think folks would complain.  And yeah wouldn't want to give ya a headache over something like this.  My thought was that, the game should evolve, not stagnate, after all, even cavemen went from swinging clubs to using swords to machine guns ( not that we'd ever get machine guns lol )

Also wasn't aware that artifact fell under the warhammer section, should be added or noted on the wiki that it does.

Edited by Stormblade

7 minutes ago, Stormblade said:

With this it is more of Small Metal Shield Skill = 89, Small Wooden Shield = 65, consolidated skill would then give them the highest, Small Shield Skill = 89.  Don't think folks would complain.

I would lose over 271 skill points to just pure thin air, I would complain, certainly complain a lot

• Like 2

Woodcutting needs some love. I know high ql logs are important, and that some wood types have different properties, but compare it to digging or mining. Both skills have many different unique materials that are required for crafting, as well as have the chance for rarer items like gems, and bones. 

Edited by Kabill
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Hmm. Move more quickly while climbing? Allow normal walking on steeper slopes? Allow heavier loads while climbing?

Faster movement/reduced speed decrease depending on the slope would be awesome. I don't think it should affect normal walking, but ideally a skilled climber would pretty much walk normally with the aforementioned effect on just a little too steep slopes like 24-30 dirts.

9 hours ago, Stormblade said:

Not really the same thing. The Epic skill boost and Freedom to Epic ( and other way around ) conversion was a totally different system.

With this it is more of Small Metal Shield Skill = 89, Small Wooden Shield = 65, consolidated skill would then give them the highest, Small Shield Skill = 89.  Don't think folks would complain.  And yeah wouldn't want to give ya a headache over something like this.  My thought was that, the game should evolve, not stagnate, after all, even cavemen went from swinging clubs to using swords to machine guns ( not that we'd ever get machine guns lol )

Also wasn't aware that artifact fell under the warhammer section, should be added or noted on the wiki that it does.

You are wrong the skill should be 89 + whatever you would get from time you've spend grinding from 0-65 but for the start skill 89 not 0 if that can be calculated, not to mention that is shields which you could grind semi afk and very faster earlier(for any other skill that would be 92-93 in total for new merged skill, maybe, prety rough estimate but for shields i couldnt even guess) I agree that having different skills for them is stupid but the mess made by merging them is not naive

Edited by kochinac

On 24/01/2018 at 1:02 PM, Xor said:

I like the idea of weaponless fighting. Honestly I should be able to LT my gloves and boots and go beat dat ass out D&D Monk style

Do you know how upset I was when I made seryll gauntlets and casted venom on them :(. I remember the wurm wiki stated that I should have armor in my fist and feet for some reason and assumed the armor was used for damage. It seems like its not so since the enemy didn't get any poison wounds.

3 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Do you know how upset I was when I made seryll gauntlets and casted venom on them :(. I remember the wurm wiki stated that I should have armor in my fist and feet for some reason and assumed the armor was used for damage. It seems like its not so since the enemy didn't get any poison wounds.

I imagine you were as dissalinted as me when I found out I couldn’t LT deez hands lol

so sad :(

On 24/1/2018 at 7:27 AM, Hailene said:

Sad. I was happy I hit 90 nature recently.

I figure they might as well add a small bonus to their children skills. That'd be easy to do.

Though it could mess with skilling....hrm...

They do add a bonus to their subskills.

An example is that I could forage/botanize 2 items per action from 16 foraging/botanizing on my priest with high Nature, but on my main I hit 20 on both skills and still get 1 item, because my Nature skill is significantly lower.

Taming could use some additional functionality, I think. Some examples from the top of my head:

• Permanently turn some hostile mobs passive (e.g. hellhorses)
  • Make animals hitchable/leadable/rideable/equippable without taming (e.g. unicorns)
  • Make pet commands more responsive and varied (e.g. "follow me", "guard person/location" commands, set passive/aggressive mode)
  • PvE pet CR/FS increases through combat, max increase is affected by Taming skill
  • Immunity to pet un-taming according to animal type vs. taming level
  • If pet is killed in combat, it leaves special "corpse." Use bandages on it to revive the pet (using First Aid skill).

Changing taming might be a bit touchy due to its PvP implications. The hope would be to improve its utility by expanding its use beyond having a pet, and to make having a pet more practical.

I think the archaeology and restoration additions showed a potential to skills that aren't necessary or skillable, but as gary pointed out, merging skills would be a much more difficult system, given you'd need to work out how many ticks it took to get somewhere on average, and how much skillgain would be on the kept skill with that many ticks at smaller amounts. 

We do agree that some skills are superfluous, and there were a few discussed as potential choices when introducing A&R, but some mentioned here seem to be focusing on expanding a skill vs that skill being wholly unnecessary 

On 1/27/2018 at 4:16 PM, Wulfgar said:

They do add a bonus to their subskills.

An example is that I could forage/botanize 2 items per action from 16 foraging/botanizing on my priest with high Nature, but on my main I hit 20 on both skills and still get 1 item, because my Nature skill is significantly lower.

Uh, what? I'm just under 50 skill with forage/botanizing with 74 Nature skill and it only gives 1 extra. You get extras on those types of skills (Foraging, Botanizing, Milking, Forestry, maybe a few others...) at 26, 53, 80 (I believe, I am tired right this second.). I think Milling was intended to be on the system too, but it seems to work differently...

On topic : There's a lot of these skills that I'm not sure even serve a purpose anymore. I'm 26+ climbing skill, and we discussed what the skill actually does in a community assistance thread years ago and couldn't even figure out what it actually does...there's a few others I don't even know what they do...so yeah, condensing them, or maybe giving them an actual use would be a good idea. Having parent skills that don't actually factor into stuff seems to defeat the purpose of the sub-skills...(I'm 58+ plate armour smith, but due to armoursmith skill being behind by a lot at 32 skill, I can't actually imp a plate set to 57+ skill without wasting a lot of steel, even though I have 60+ smithing skill and shouldn't be failing much. Which makes it all really confusing...).

Since I've been working like mad on natural substances skill (63+ skill), I'd love to see some use for alchemy (35) skill also.

I could rant about a lot of these skills, but eh..too tired right now..