Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Stub Skills

Quite a few skills in wurm feel a little truncated.

Which skill would you most like to see get extra functionality and what functionality would you like to see?

For me, it would be forage/botanise; some items that can only be obtained via forage/botanise showing up only at higher levels!

Body

It does nothing!

Or Warhammers. Currently there is only one weapon in the game that uses that skill, and its an artifact. Which means its only one weapon in existence making it worthless for anyone else to level that skill. Or impossible, if you dont want to go to Chaos.

• Like 1

Tracking - would be nice that it would increase the radius and perhaps see old tracks. Never gave that feeling of "don't worry i have good tracking skill, i have this covered" or to have to ask someone to "follow the tracks" since they are better on that.

And climbing, similar reasons i don't know how effective it is at high levels but also leveling it up is very slow, almost feels like wasting sleep bonus if you ever attempt it.

Same could be said for several other skills that don't have that big of an impact or utility at high levels.

Imo if you don't feel like you have to ask to another player with an high specific skill to do it for you then the skill itself is not that great.

• Like 3

Oh, yes, climbing. Apparently it doesn't work as many people thought, enabling you to drain less stamina as you climb. Instead tests I've seen seem to show that it may enable you to climb a little more without stamina before climbing deactivates automatically. Umm... that... is not worth for such a slow to train skill. (I was quite happy with 20+ and hoping on 30 someday, but, well, for what?)

Mind speed.

Tracking is weird, yes, tracking deserves some good thought about how it could work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

For me, it would be forage/botanise; some items that can only be obtained via forage/botanise showing up only at higher levels!

Which ones? It's kinda hard to tell nowadays what we get more commonly or uncommonly, when we have soooo many items, RNG can easily mess up getting any you want. By the way, do we really need mushrooms in foraging, as opposed to randomly in forests?

Climbing, all the fight sub skills need a rework. Overall shields and overall everything for that matter.

Î would replace useless skills with some new interesting like glassmaking or something. But to keep it to topic milking does apsolutly nothing as a skill you always get 100ql milk, not sure if timers change with higher skill, never understood why they dont use animal husbandary for milking instead of having own skill just for that, it would be like having skill just for shearing

2 hours ago, kochinac said:

milking does apsolutly nothing

That's wrong, you get more milk per animal with higher skill, up to 4kg i think.

1 hour ago, bdew said:

That's wrong, you get more milk per animal with higher skill, up to 4kg i think.

Realy? That's cool didnt know that, thanks for the info.

firemaking If anyone wants to grind it I do have some nice coc steel and flint.

• Like 1

Carpentry Knife and Butchering Knife. Just combine them into Knives.

Med Metal Shield and Med Wood Shield = Combine to Medium Shield

Small Metal Shield and Small Wood Shield.

Large Metal Shield and Large Wood Shield.

Seriously, 6 skills for each single different shield type? Hell, Small = small, med = med, large = large

Also, Move Shield Bashing to a shields subskill.

Weapon Head smithing, pointless after 20-30 skill.

Blade smithing = pointless after 20-30 skill.

Bowery and Fletching should be subskills of archery, face it, i could make the worlds best bow and arrow, don't mean i know jack about building a house.

Weaponless fighting, should include non-traditional weapons, frying pans, shovels stuff like that, or just rename it 'Non Traditional Weapons'

Healing, get rid of it, just move First Aid upto the main skill, no subs or possibly add some later, Covers / Salves ( for improved chance of sucess not based on ql and luck )

Clubs skill, just move Huge Club to Mauls, or move it into Misc Items like Iron Hammer.

Hammers. ( according to wiki )

The skill used for mallets, hammers, as well as small mauls and large mauls. Raise it with using one of these item. Improves the efficiency of hammer useage.

Yet none of these items are in there as subs.  Just move warhammers ( is there such a thing? ) Table of Weaons Nope, so absolutely pointless unless it's some kinda Legacy thing from Waaaaay back when.

Milling, "A skill used in the creation of flour from cereal crops.'  should be under cooking as a sub skill.

Just my 2c worth of thoughts.

Edited by Stormblade
  • Like 2

Do we know if some of the parent skills do anything? Ones without anything directly associated with a skill (not like carpentry that has specific carpentry items). Skills like smithing? 

Definitive proof from a Dev or from the WU code? I know people have theories...But something cooncrete would be nice. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hailene said:

Do we know if some of the parent skills do anything? Ones without anything directly associated with a skill (not like carpentry that has specific carpentry items). Skills like smithing? 

Definitive proof from a Dev or from the WU code? I know people have theories...But something cooncrete would be nice. 

Alchemy axes Armor smithing clubs hammers healing knives mauls nature polearms religion shields smithing swords tailoring thievery toys war machines do nothing except titles for most of them, everything else has atleast one use.

• Like 1

Seems like skills scream for a bit of reorganization or a heavy rewamp too :D

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Alchemy axes Armor smithing clubs hammers healing knives mauls nature polearms religion shields smithing swords tailoring thievery toys war machines do nothing except titles for most of them, everything else has atleast one use.

Sad. I was happy I hit 90 nature recently.

I figure they might as well add a small bonus to their children skills. That'd be easy to do.

Though it could mess with skilling....hrm...

Nature skill apparently helps with chance of getting meditation questions.

[22:37:46] <****> what does matter, but only very very little, is your nature skill
[22:37:59] <****> as parent skills do help with rolls

From that it seems, that parent skills help with other things too..

Personally, I can't confirm, nor deny.. but that info comes from WU code iirc.

Edited by rixk

There's some bonus added from parent skills like religion that you can also amplify with skillcheck runes.

I do agree with the point about 6 shield subskills and the healing thing. 

Edited by Kurson

20 hours ago, rapidron said:

firemaking If anyone wants to grind it I do have some nice coc steel and flint.

Plz let firemaking skill enable seeing time left for fueled burning stuff :( torches, forges, ovens, smelters, bee smokers, oil lamps.

• Like 3

I like the idea of weaponless fighting. Honestly I should be able to LT my gloves and boots and go beat dat ass out D&D Monk style. using frying pans / etc would count as a weapon wouldn’t they? Maybe add improvised weaponry or something?

I fully intend to grind up my weaponless fighting though. Maybe you’ll catch me at a unique hunt throwing hands lol

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Xor said:

I like the idea of weaponless fighting. Honestly I should be able to LT my gloves and boots and go beat dat ass out D&D Monk style. using frying pans / etc would count as a weapon wouldn’t they? Maybe add improvised weaponry or something?

I fully intend to grind up my weaponless fighting though. Maybe you’ll catch me at a unique hunt throwing hands lol

I also wish knives skill gave a backstab bonus while being dual-wielded and wearing nothing heavier than studded leather, or something else rogue-ish. :)

• Like 1

Pottery. There is no item that benefits from being high quality. You say compasses? Beverages and misc play as much, or a bigger, part in making them than the pottery.

On 23.1.2018 at 1:26 AM, Anarres said:

Tracking is weird, yes, tracking deserves some good thought about how it could work.

TL;DR: Some boy scout abilities to find your way around. Would be marvellous for insanity teleport explorers like me who don't want to carry a dioptra around as an additional tool. The "finding deeds" aspect unfortunately overlaps massively with Arch now, so the thread needs some new input. But in principle, I'd see a place for such abilities in Tracking.

The worst stub I'd argue is climbing, however. As Anarres implied, the action "Climbing" profits MUCH more from body stamina.

I'm at a loss what to give it, though. Just making it reduce the stamina use further doesn't really justify it as a skill.

I daresay it should give you the ability to regenerate stamina slowly on slopes below a threshold determined by the skill, but that'll have everyone who uses climbing as an artificial way of stopping stamina regen for skilling up in arms. Not that I don't do that myself when I'm working with sparse resources, but that would honestly make more sense to me, especially in terms of making climbing a viable skill.

Hell, a slow regeneration as if your water levels was at 10% on eligible slopes would even help with that skilling trick. but then there's PvP and their concerns about it. So yeah, for Firemaking, Tracking, Papyrusmaking etc. I can at least see reasonable suggestions that would be uncontroversial, but there isn't even an obvious "fix" to climbing.

Edited by Flubb