Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Make offline pets not count towards deed ratio

The deed ratio is aimed at preventing people from having large animal collections that will lag the server or take up too much of the animal count. While this makes sense, it also makes things difficult for those of us who want large animal collections. My suggestion is that you can tame an animal on an alt, then set it to go offline with the character, and log the character out. If we make it so that these animals don't count towards deed ratio, anyone who wanted could have extra animals logged out for the most part, and only log them on when needed, then take them back offline. Offline animals don't count toward the animal spawn limit on the server. As far as I'm aware, animals that aren't actually online won't contribute to lag, correct? Maybe make it sot that offline animals don't have a chance to go untame or to reduce status towards upset (not sure if that is or isn't the case now). The animals would count towards deed ratio while logged in, but if players were selective about who was logged in when, they could manage the animal collection and ratio, having large collections without having to make stupidly large deeds and inconvenience the rest of the server.

Man you love your animals. How many alts would you plan on making to make pets offline? Would seem more like a messed up system.

3 hours ago, Attenia said:

The deed ratio is aimed at preventing people from having large animal collections that will lag the server or take up too much of the animal count.

Why not make animals less resource-intensive after a certain amount of time? Deed detects cow entering, cow has not left for 1 day. Assume that this animal is being held inside the deed for animal husbandry reasons and simply drop it's AI movement. (Does anybody here actually enjoy the animals moving around in the deed?). I don't know if AI of all animals on the server contributes to that much lag, but I would imagine dropping the AI of deeded animals would help. Maybe then the deed ratio can be buffed.

34 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

Why not make animals less resource-intensive after a certain amount of time? Deed detects cow entering, cow has not left for 1 day. Assume that this animal is being held inside the deed for animal husbandry reasons and simply drop it's AI movement. (Does anybody here actually enjoy the animals moving around in the deed?).

Much more than 1 day. Many players are not logging on every day, many take small breaks from wurm but paid upkeep, and some are spending time on another server for much longer than 1 day.

Just a note. The idea itself seems okay to me, though perhaps we should mull on it for a bit.

1 hour ago, Yiraia said:

Why not make animals less resource-intensive after a certain amount of time? Deed detects cow entering, cow has not left for 1 day. Assume that this animal is being held inside the deed for animal husbandry reasons and simply drop it's AI movement. (Does anybody here actually enjoy the animals moving around in the deed?). I don't know if AI of all animals on the server contributes to that much lag, but I would imagine dropping the AI of deeded animals would help. Maybe then the deed ratio can be buffed.

That would also be great! I agree with more than one day, maybe a few weeks? Any idea to improve the deed ratio situation would be good with me :)

5 hours ago, Cecci said:

Or you could play on several servers or deeds.

I could, but the animal ratio would still be the same no matter which deed or server I played on. Even if I split up like that, I'd still have to own 15 tiles for every 1 animal, and that's what I'm hoping we can improve upon in a way that doesn't mess with lag and animal spawns.

Offline pets can still die, you need to fence your deed in and chase all your strays off your deed, you have more strays on there than stuff inside your pens.

6 hours ago, Cecci said:

Or you could play on several servers or deeds.

*shivers*

16 hours ago, Attenia said:

without having to make stupidly large deeds and inconvenience the rest of the server.

I know those aren't exactly the same thing, but I'm pretty sure making several deeds is actually more inconvenient than making 1 large one. 2 20x20 deeds is more annoying than a 20x40 deed because the perimeter also takes up more land.

To the method suggested, -1.

BUT... +1 to the notion implemented in other ways such as:

1. A "Stable" - Sort of like the virtual garage in DayZ Mods.  Or for Wurm I guess kind of like a BSB for animals.  You store your animal in there so the server knows to stash it away and stop running any kind of checks on it.  When you need it, you go to the stable master and request your animal of choice.  Must tame the animal before leading it into the stable.
  2. Animal Coins - Just like the mod in WU but not allowing cross-server transfers since that is still actively being worked on.  Essentially, you trade in your animal for a coin, or token, that you can then later redeem when you need the animal.  Must tame animal etc.
  3. Animal Cage Added Functionality - In WU, I've seen animal cages though they are essentially just for aesthetic effect at the moment.  Allow people to place their animal in a cage so the animal can be seen, but is essentially held in suspension.  Tame...

You'd essentially have multiple tamed animals, but only one out at a time (unfortunately).  Though you could take it out, tame something else to un-tame the current one for some time out of stable, etc.

As others have noted, not terribly keen on the idea of people stuffing the database full of alts simply for the purposes of holding a single animal.  There must be a more efficient and elegant way to implement the idea.

Keep in mind that upkeep and prem, or let's say sales at the Wurm Shop, is what keeps this game alive.

What you ask for is basically a cheaper way to have alot of animals.

To me 15 tiles per animal is fine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cecci said:

What you ask for is basically a cheaper way to have alot of animals.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking for, and here's why I think it's fair. For almost all other interests in Wurm, all you need to pursue them is premium time and a reasonably sized deed. If you want to be a weapon smith, you can create hundreds of weapons. If you want to be a carpenter, you can build hundreds of fences, buildings and wooden tools. If you want to be a gardener you can plant hundreds of trees and bushes. For any interest or goal you choose, you can allocate every single tile on your deed to pursuing that interest if you wish. However, if you want to collect animals, you can't just have hundreds of animals with premium and a normal deed. You can only allocate one in every fifteen tiles to your interest. You have to have to pay for a ridiculously huge deed. It seems unfair to me that this one interest costs exponentially more to pursue than any others. I know there are reasons for it, but if there's a solution to even out the playing field between breeders and other players without messing things up on the servers, then it should be looked into.

Many people have commented that the ratio is fine as is, and if you don't collect animals, then yes, the ratio is fine for you. However, it is not fine for anyone who wants to have more than a couple of animals.