Sign in to follow this  
Lianya

Dining Table Item to Help Other Food Compete

I wish there were ways for other foods to better compete with Pizzas. Right now pizza is a clearly "better" food and there is less incentive for people to make a variety of foods.

My idea is for an item that allows people to "combine" food and drink items to function as a single meal that also looks like a dining table complete with place settings.

• A player would add food to the table the way that fueling fire works: right click, "Add Food".  Each table would have a maximum amount of food that it can hold like with fuel.
  • It will have a higher capacity to account for some of the larger goods like roasted animals. It may also display a message like, "The table is full so you decide not to put anything else on it" when it can't take more food.
  • Players can use the Taste function to see which affinities they may gain and Examine to see which food items were put into the table.
  • The table would keep track of the average nutrition value and add up the CCFP along with recording the meal types of the foods for the purposes of calculating the affinities.
  • Any player with appropriate permissions can right click on the table and chose "Eat Meal" to start eating from the food. The eat function can also be accessed while sitting down.
  • All players eating from the table will eat until full or the food is exhausted and will gain affinities, CCFP, and nutrition based on the amount of food eaten.
  • An optional benefit would be a function to add a price before allowing food to be eaten much like beds.
  • An optional cosmetic benefit to add would be to make multiple dining table types to suit different situations. For instance small wooden tables with no frills for more simple houses up to fancy marble tables with ornate decorations for palaces. Also small tables up to banquet tables with matching capacities for personal to public use.

For example, a player may make a roast hog, some salads, a cake, and wine to add to the table. The player's guests all sit around the table and eat like they would from a meal until full or the food is gone. The gained nutrition, CCFP, and affinities would be the combined values for the items made. 

I think this would be great for decorating, running restaurants and inns and also for entertaining fellow players.

Edited by Lianya
Updated to better title than previous one.
  • Like 8

It occurs to me that food preservation may be a concern as well. If it is critical to keep it so that food does not last beyond a certain time, the amount of food "put in" to the table can decay over time. 

For instance, say you put a large pizza in the table. Each hour, a percentage of the pizza's volume will decay away until the table is completely empty again.

• Like 1

the idea's fun. and would put a use for tables so def +1

A similar idea I had is adding new recipes to plates to allow them to combine some foods together in a single meal but I am not sure of plate capacity. For instance, putting meat and salad on a plate and created a "some description" meal. Or a dumpling meal by pairing dumplings with some sides and so on. That at least would not require new art and may only require new recipes.

Perhaps adding the ability to make portions out of larger food items, like roast hog slices, would allow it to fit on to a plate.

That is nice idea. Becouse now table and chears is only for decor, and that is not good. Its so nice to see table full of goodies, is't it?

Sorry for offtop maybe. I think: why am I eat in the table in real? It's comfortable. People need to take rest. So Table + chears will fill the comfort of player.
Comfort will be new Indicator of Health. Ofc when u offline it's go up when u sleep and sit, (and new option of bed "take a fast rest" - just to fill comfort indicator a bit)
Also another one way to do with comfort - to stop or slow lose CCFP (or even gone stamina slower) when u doing nothing or making your crafts (not about "big" such as making planks and ships and smithing, u can make imp tools, tailoring, etc. sitting on the chear). More ql = more comfort and expencive furniture = more comfort. Yep its looks like life simulator now so Im not sure...
Maybe you will get more stamina with full comfort, for example 105% to use. and maybe 105% of health. and other small but pleasant bonuses. (so if u dont want to live in comfort u dont lose nothing that is your choice)

That will be more funny to find taverns during the journey around the Wurm. Sometimes people afk so why not to take a sit or lay on the bed just for 5 minutes? Lets be lazy! =D

Edited by DeNafig

+1 It's a very interesting idea. But it needs to be balanced in order to avoid it for stockpiling large amount of food without decay. I would suggest very limited amounts of foods based by types(one or two drinks, few meat meals and some things as side dish, few salats and few pies or cakes), each component adding to complexity and end result, the maximum capacity of table should maybe limited by table type and ql. And i love the idea of renting it in ins like beds, i think thats the biggest + to this idea :)

• Like 2

I don't think that I would add in another mechanic like comfort. But I can see maybe getting a stamina reduction buff from sitting down to eat a meal. One could tire out more slowly if they eat regularly. Maybe if a person eats a little once every wurm day they would get the bonus and the bonus resets on the next wurm day. One wurm day is about 3 hours in real life.

As for balance to keep the tables from being used to stockpile, I was thinking the capacity should at least be comparable to one maxed out pizza. The whole idea is to at least match the power of large pizzas and I figure it should be fair to have one maxed out one fit on one of the smaller tables.

But making it so that ql of the table influences capacity could be interesting. It would be another reason to get fine carpentry up. However something like a buffet table would need to exceed the size of one pizza. Hmm, maybe an upward cap on affinity time might be useful though.

However, I wouldn't want to limit it by types because maxing it out with a type could be useful. For instance, you make a whole lot of different pies, cakes, and breads and that is all your are serving since you run a bakery. or maybe you're running a brewery and you've got alcohol loaded for a drinking contest.

I think having the quantity of food decaying over time like an off deed fsb would help though. Food could "decay" away real life hourly or daily.

• Like 1

-1 I would like the use of the table, but the way you suggested it is sorta of unusual. Feasts shouldn't be common, I'd prefer if people would just use the table to get a boast when eating.

The only thing that usually limits feasts is the abundance of food. It would work somewhat the same in Wurm. If you have hunted your area barren then you will either not have enough to feast or you will need to purchase ingredients from others. If you have lots of animals then you will have lots of ingredients and can make a feast.