Sign in to follow this  
eftet

Broken economy?

Hello Devs and Inde dwellers!

I'm worried about empty traders pockets - after another reset, properly managed. Also the message: 'There are apparently no coins in the coffers at the moment.' appears more often than before. King's poverty is also clearly visible in ton of rare herbs and such instead of coin given occasionally to balance traders draining. Is the economy broken or what? I could notice maybe more deeds disband by owners or by time recently, but some new settlements were started as well. Anyway the deeds that exist hold enough silver to keep the economy alive (at least mine do).

Here: http://freedom001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/money.html on the other hand the total amount of irons on the server hasn't dropped to level preventing money redistribution. Yearly graph shows nice saw-shaped traders pocket wealth... until some day in December. Is it related to tinkering with traders after wagoners update?

I dont dig through WU code, but maybe someone does and knows - why did the coffers dry?

I don't know if looking at any other server can give any answer since it appears they dont run the same code. Is there another experiment going on on Inde?

I know it is hard to forsee the future, but since devs did intentionally 'fix' things regarding irons flow, is there at least one person sure the model doesn't lead to dead end even with normal players activity? :-)

• Like 1

Sadly, been this way since the implement of rare coins from rare rolls during certain actions and sell to token.  Wurm Unlimited also adversely impacted traders as people fled to WU, and their deeds disbanded, fewer coins are being circulated into the kingdom coffers for trader dispersal.

Traders are near silly to buy these days.  I say near, because while you can still gain a few coins once in a while, you gain no where near what was once obtained.

I am not arguing that sell to token and rare coin rolls are terrible and should be removed, but I am saying both in combination with WU nerfed traders beyond a reasonable amount.  I feel 50s for something that will take you years to break even on is just not worth it.  Being a game, I'd rather see a shorter RoI.  Then again, we've used abused this buy and sell mechanic for years beyond what it was conceived purely for personal gain... so where does that leave us?   Here we are, basking in our own semi-self-created economical recession.

/2cents

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 3

I think it makes more sense to reward people for playing the game, rather than rewarding those who manage traders.

In my opinion, it's better that the coffers are empty because of rare coins, instead of people draining traders. Traders shouldn't be a way to upkeep your deed. They're a luxury item.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Put an end to trader draining for good I say

It *seems* as if Trader draining is under control now, although I am still not convinced that a few players have not figured out how to get more out of them than what is commonly talked about. Anyway, the added newer coin drops and Token sales have reduced Trader drain funds and provided a more even opportunity for all to get a few coins here and there.

I wouldn't mind Traders turned into a no purchase/sell only item like Merchants but with their own particular goods for sale. The price of them should then be reduced to 10 silver and distance placement requirements be removed as well. Of course those with Traders currently wouldn't go for this, so I guess we are stuck with the situation as it is...

Added: Maybe current Traders could retain their functions and a *new* Trader with a slightly difference appearance could be added to function as I mentioned above.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
add stuffs

At one time I controlled up to 5 traders.  I still have a spreadsheet for managing them.  I was able to maintain a very accurate ratio, often times as close as 0.103 and made a small fortune off them.  I know first hand how out of control they were and miss the cash flow lol.

However, I recognize it truly is a bit unfair that I was able to pay to win, earn ROI, and then profit.  I also put at least 80% of what I earned back into my deeds as upkeep so it kept circulating, the remainder I pretty much squandered away on rares.. so in a sick way, y'all profited as well.

I can still crank out 3-5s a month per trader, it's just a lot of work for such a small amount of income I don't feel motivated to do it anymore... and I believe that was the intention behind the changes.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 3

On 1/21/2018 at 11:07 AM, Wurmhole said:

Seems more likely it is time to end traders.

If not for anything else, I will still check these forums right up until there are only a handful of people left playing to see if there is still someone crying about traders.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I suggested that rift loot should be in money not in shoulders and rings, that will be good for less mats spread and balance some players money instead of useless items.

Agreed, time to end the current trader system once and for all.  As to the OP, something definitely changed a couple months ago.  My bet is that more for/bot activity is taking place once again for whatever reason.  I know that when the new veggies came out, I saw the no coin message on Indy for the first time.  That only lasted a short while and then back to "normal" somewhat till recently. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GoldFever said:

My bet is that more for/bot activity is taking place

for/bot bot'ing, right?  I wouldn't doubt this for a second.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aaron_IRL said:

for/bot bot'ing, right?  I wouldn't doubt this for a second.

foraging botanizing.

On 21/01/2018 at 6:07 PM, Wurmhole said:

Second that.

And then give the possibility that it will be possible to move them.

What can be discouraging and adversely affects the Economy is when a product folks used to make, is suddenly no longer of any value.

A Good Example is high QL hand Lanterns.  It used to cost 1s or more for a 70+ QL hand lantern painted with really high RGB numbers white dye.

Then decay whilst kept on your person was introduced a couple of years ago.  Now they hardly sell because they will need re-imping every six or less months.  I personally have to spend a whole day reimping all of my hand lanterns for my main and my alts back up to 80 QL every few months so they can see what they are doing at night time.

It has gone from being fun to being a pain in the posterior chore, like when decorations on deed used to take decay and we all had to every month go around and repair everything on deed.

Time to un-nerf hand lanterns and make them them decay free when stored on your person.

Food for thought!

Cheers! Hughmongus

• Like 2

Lanterns no longer command the high prices they used to because there are lots of people who can make them now.  Just like everything else.

5 hours ago, Wonka said:

Lanterns no longer command the high prices they used to because there are lots of people who can make them now.  Just like everything else.

Not only that but years ago ql actually made a difference in that lanterns shined light upto 5, 10 tiles away lighting up all around you, now, even at 90+ql, you Might light up 1 to 2 tiles around you.  

• Like 2

Good memory there Stormblade.  The QL still does make a difference on how far a Hand Lantern will shine at night, just not as far as it used to, but 5 tiles wide circle of light for an 85 QL is better then just the tile you are on for a 25 QL.

Cheers! Hughmongus