Sign in to follow this  
Flubb

Seedless sowing (Or automatic resowing ability for skilled farmers)

This isn't actually a biggie, I could just reconsider how I handle my crops, but...

Most of the time I just want to directly replant my crops; helps at maintaining dedicated tiles for certain produce. And for most vegetables, that means:

Expand stack, pick seeds on the first item, collapse stack, plant seed. At pretty much every crop that has seeds.

To avoid this tedium, I could just harvest everything and pick seeds "in bulk" after having stored the produce, then come back with seeds, pondering what I used to have there and how many seeds I need to bring back as crops aren't always harvestable at the same time. Still a bit annoying, but far better than the click fest. for an action that doesn't even have any other "requirement"

But seeing as picking seeds has no timer and is in fact not even depending on Mind logic (you can pick seeds of a whole stack of items in an instant), I don't really see why farming this way has to be made that tedious. Especially when most seeds cannot even be pressed to oil.

In short, it would be much nicer if cabbages, lettuce, etc. could be planted directly, without having to manually pick the seeds first.

EDIT: Alternatively, an additional farming skill for a "harvest and replant" action unlocked at some moderate level for which one has farmed quite a bit. This would obviously subtract 1 item from the yield and have a timer at least as long as hrvest and sowing would have requried individually.

Edited by Flubb

Seeds weigh much less than the actual produce itself, which makes planting crops MUCH easier.  You're talking about a head of cabbage that weighs 1 kg vs a seed that weighs (what, .05?  .10?).  That may seem insignificant, but for someone like me that has 500 tile farm, it is not feasible to carry 500 cabbage in my inventory and still be able to walk.

Sorry, but I see zero benefit to this change.

6 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Seeds weigh much less than the actual produce itself, which makes planting crops MUCH easier.  You're talking about a head of cabbage that weighs 1 kg vs a seed that weighs (what, .05?  .10?).  That may seem insignificant, but for someone like me that has 500 tile farm, it is not feasible to carry 500 cabbage in my inventory and still be able to walk.

Sorry, but I see zero benefit to this change.

Appearantly I must clarify that I'm not suggesting to remove seeds. It's an addition, not a change. If it's more feasible for your farm size and style to dump everything in a wagon along the way and get to replanting (with satchels of seeds) later, that should still be possible obviously.

Edited by Flubb

Maybe just allow the ability on plants that can regrow after being trimmed like lettuce to be trimmed and it'll just regrow. It would just give a little less return when trimmed or something.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flubb said:

Appearantly I must clarify that I'm not suggesting to remove seeds. It's an addition, not a change. If it's more feasible for your farm size and style to dump everything in a wagon along the way and get to replanting (with satchels of seeds) later, that should still be possible obviously.

So help me understand.... you're making a change proposal to be able to plant 5 tiles of lettuce faster behind your wooden shack in the forest or something?  I don't understand the benefit other than saving two mouse clicks.

35 minutes ago, Maximillian said:

Maybe just allow the ability on plants that can regrow after being trimmed like lettuce to be trimmed and it'll just regrow. It would just give a little less return when trimmed or something.

Not a bad idea either, but veggies like carrots would still require the hassle

But thinking about it from a perspective of adding crop interactions rather than actions done with vegetables, I guess what I actually wanted here is a "harvest and replant" option that automatically subtracts one item from the yield. Would require a longer timer, obviously, and is only one skilltick opportunity as a tradeoff. And perhaps make that interaction a farming skill unlocked at a certain level.

33 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

So help me understand.... you're making a change proposal to be able to plant 5 tiles of lettuce faster behind your wooden shack in the forest or something?  I don't understand the benefit other than saving two mouse clicks.

I have well over 100 tiles in crops, just FYI.

What I don't understand exactly is why a farmer with 500 tiles wouldn't profit from being able to immediately replant? All that weight still ends up in your inventory at some point during the harvest, you'll have to put it in a wagon or cart. And I'm sure you don't want to do these 2-3 clicks for each single crop to replant. That's why you'll rather harvest -> stash it away directly in a cart/wagon and come back with a bunch of seeds with the count of crops in mind. What I suggest is making the alternative workflow harvest -> replant -> stashing less tedious. That would precisely benefit big time farmers more than someone with 5 crops in my book if they have large patches dedicated to the same type of crop.

Edited by Flubb

Maybe you can tell me why a farmer with 500 tiles wouldn't profit from being able to immediately replant? 

Because I can't carry 500 cabbage (much less THREE) in a satchel, nor can I carry 500 kg's of cabbage in my inventory and still be able to walk.

All that weight still ends up in your inventory at some point during the harvest, you'll have to put it in a wagon or cart.

Cabbage, like cotton and pumpkins, do not fit in satchels/backpacks very well AND are very heavy.  Most farmers can't walk if they have more than about 70 in their inventory, so I drop them into piles in the middle of my (dirt) field and retrieve them when finished.  Your suggestion has nothing to do with reducing the weight of cabbage/lettuce, so this isn't really relevant anyway.

And I'm sure you don't want to do these 2-3 clicks for each single crop to replant.

If you're harvesting 1 tile, right clicking a SINGLE piece of lettuce in your inventory, turning it to seed, double clicking the seed, right clicking the ground and clicking "sow", then you're doing it wrong on so many levels friend.  Yes, that is a lot of clicks, but that's only because you are doing it the hard way.  I'd do this if I had a 10 tile farm of lettuce, but that's about it.  Once again, not worth the development resources for one guy's 10 tile farm.

What I suggest is making the alternative workflow harvest -> replant -> stashing less tedious. What's the big deal with that?

As I've said, the "reverse" as you put it, does not work for a large or even a medium sized farm.  If I harvest 7 tiles of cabbage, I can't walk anymore because I am carrying 70 cabbage.  If I pick 7 seeds to replant the tiles, guess what?  I can harvest one more tile before I can't walk again.

Simply put, you're trying to re-invent something that is working just fine.  The reason large veggies such as pumpkins and cabbage have "Seeds" is because it makes it much easier for players to carry numerous seeds without having to run back to the wagon/fsb every 30 tiles.  Additionally, putting satchels on your toolbelt, then filling the satchels with whatever seed you want to plant will help your sowing process go much faster.  Belted satchels, combined with a "sow" keybind will make your life much easier.

• Like 3

You could still pretty much follow your workflow with this, harvest, replant with a simple action, drop it there, then do the roundup but save yourself the sowing trip without having had that click fest - which is precisely what is wrong with it, I don't know why you feel that you have to tell me that when that was premise. But I will concede that toolbelt with satchels works better for big time farmers because then you can use keybinds only. Not sure it works well for maintaining consistent crops on a patch with a greater diversity, but I'll take your advice and try it anyway and reorganize my crops. Like I said, not a big deal overall, certainly not to argue every little detail about it to death. :) Just wanted to throw it out as an idea and see what and if it sticks. Thanks for taking your time to humor it, though.

Edited by Flubb

They could possibly add a new action at like 50/70 farming that does Harvest + Sow at the same time. Obviously it would be Harvester timer + Sow timer and -1 from harvest but it would be a very nice qol if added.

• Like 4

+1. The only reason I could see someone disagreeing with this change would be if they were a botter.

lol

22 hours ago, Delacroix said:

+1. The only reason I could see someone disagreeing with this change would be if they were a botter.

-1 so farmers have something 'to bott'...

What's the next qol, improve with no repairs?

Idea makes sense for some plants but that's about it, dumping just about any type of crops in the dirt is odd.

-----edit:

Satchels with seeds and Sow keybind('Bind e sow') simplify your job enough imo(1, E, 1, E, ...; as you keep seeds satchel on 1st slot on your toolbelt). Or.. having inventory group with seeds/satchels(almost sure inv.group is going to work with just 1st satchel)

Only thing to mention is the action timer but that lowers as your skill gets higher, I'm almost sure that ql of the seed also drops some time.

Sounds like regular skill to me.

Edited by Finnn

+1 idk why anyone wouldn't like this, its such a tiny but great qol thing

This could be made even easier if we could combine the seeds into one stack as I suggested for herbs, then with one item selected you could run around planting like crazy rather than having to select a new seed each time.

• Like 1

+1

I tried putting seeds in satchels but either I am to dumb to figure out how or... there is no way to sow more than one field at a time with the 'seeds in a satchel' method.

I can not queue up multiple dirt tiles with sow as selecting the satchel in my toolbelt only selects the first seed and once thats sowed I have to select the satchel again to have the next seed active to sow again and so on and forth. That is pretty annoying, can just expand a bunch of seeds in my inventory then as well and keep doubleclicking there which is how I do it atm but its pretty tedious and goes bad on my carpal tunnel after a while. :/

Thus, I would love a 'Harvest and replant' option that is keybind-able. ^^

Just now, Milkdrop said:

there is no way to sow more than one field at a time with the 'seeds in a satchel' method.

Multiple satchels, give each one its own slot on toolbelt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Such a pain in the arse though selecting each satchel and on occasion you mess up and ruin the order, I stopped farming due to this.

8 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

This could be made even easier if we could combine the seeds into one stack

Darn, was just about to type that. +1 to that one.

6 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Yea... that may technically work, but does not make anything a tad easier. :(

Farming is not even a challenge or takes any skill to do in itself, unless we compete for whos wrist is gona last the longest before the carpal tunnel fails forever... then it may as well be a competition of health. ._.

It is a daily chore, I run my fields 2 times per day and it's not fun but its required to cook and have saccing fooder - I am ok with it, but making it a bit easier to do in itself would certainly not hurt and at least my wrist would be very grateful. ^_^

Edited by Milkdrop

21 hours ago, Finnn said:

What's the next qol, improve with no repairs?

I'd totally go for that... :P

+1 to "Harvest and Replant".

On 1/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, Rasu said:

They could possibly add a new action at like 50/70 farming that does Harvest + Sow at the same time. Obviously it would be Harvester timer + Sow timer and -1 from harvest but it would be a very nice qol if added.

+1 to this idea specifically. (I’m confused from all the other talk about the OP idea)

1 hour ago, Xor said:

+1 to this idea specifically. (I’m confused from all the other talk about the OP idea)

I added it as an alternative anyway to the OP, and it actually strikes me as a more sensible approach, too, just didn't think of it at the time.

• Like 1

I'd like this fixed. But just now, after experiencing this issue (1 seed from satchel per sowing) and reading these comments, I realized what Perodin was talking about when he said he carried multiple satchels to sow.

I believe a lot of high skill farmers don't rake the field (for yield, it's more efficient to plant a bigger field then rake).  With this in mind, its more efficient to plant one day,  come back 4 days later to harvest some, and finally the last of it 2 days later (6 days in total).  If we can only harvest and immediately replant that will over time make so the crops are getting ripe at all random times. This random time thing means we will have to check the field every day. If you have hundreds if not thousands of farm tiles that daily checking is not good.

Continuing with the idea that a high skill farmer plants a whole field at once after all things are harvested, getting rid of seeds will be a big hassle. Again, given the way I farm and other too I believe, we need the lighter seed to plant our hundreds if not thousands of tiles farm.

+1 harvest and plant in one action (where harvest yield is -1 for the resow) as long as it is an option and the current mechanics stay.

huge +1 for combining farm seed and adding a seed for every farm crop in the game.

On 1/21/2018 at 5:33 PM, Rasu said:

+1 to this in particular, not the (somewhat convoluted and confusing, sorry) OP