Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Have you Scored a Affinity yet?

13 hours ago, Yiraia said:

There was a chance before the update, and that chance was by finding another player who is willing to sell it. I don't know what the odds of finding them were back then, but at least you can choose which affinity you were looking for. Also, this affinity update isn't really much to look forward to. How much fun is an update where its basically "Keep doing what you are doing, and maybe something cool will pop up :D" rather than a "Here is something interesting to do, try it out." Archaeology provided that. When I heard affinities will be able to be obtained, I was overly optimistic and thought of two things, like sacrificing items related to the skill of your preference for a chance. Of course over some thinking I realized priest would easily be jacked with farming/ropemaking/locksmithing affinities by simply attempting to get favor, and that not all skills have items that could be created from it, like the characteristics. The other thing I thought of was archaeology finding ancient books that would allow us to gain knowledge that makes it easier to learn certain skill (aka affinities). "How to train your dragon" (taming), "Chemistry for dumbies" (alchemy), etc. But no... Its random. And if you get something you dont like that much, such as firemaking (making ash, not grinding firemaking for skill), and another person gets something they dont like, like first aid (healing self and others at a rift, not grinding firstaid), then they are stuck with it. Perhaps those two people wanted one another's affinities?? Too bad, they can't trade it either.

Point is, the affinity gaining system is lack-luster, and will fall under a category similar to rarity. Something you forget about and will often come back to annoy you rather than benefit you. Why is it similar instead of the same? Because if you get rare items they can be traded with others who are interested in it. I disagree with those saying some chance is better than no chance. The "some chance" required effort from staff that could have been placed in something more amusing. 

It does seem a choiceless mechanic, and though I won't complain if I get an affinity, I kinda wish a real gameplay choice were involved, somehow.

2 hours ago, Roccandil said:

It does seem a choiceless mechanic, and though I won't complain if I get an affinity, I kinda wish a real gameplay choice were involved, somehow.

How on earth is this choicless? You want digging affinity you go dig untill you get one. it's not like you can get blacksmithing affinity in the process... But i agree this should be balanced so each skill has equal chance, so there will not be punnishing specific priest because all his spells has long timers, or meditation which basicly have only one quite long timer..

And btw yeah I scored 2 affinities on 2 characters already, one on each, during casual gameplay while working on project of terraforming area next to my deed, got Body stamina while i was clearing trees and Mind logic while i was digging. And i'm quite happy about it. No mesage overscreen no drumrolls just shy message on skil tab.

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Mclavin said:

chances are fine, this isn't so a player can go out and grind/gain every affinity in a month, you need to feel proud about affinities if you're lucky to get them. 

I don't understand how you can feel proud about something luck based. If I were to get an A in a multiple choice test I knew nothing about, I would not be proud. I would be happy though lol. I only feel pride when I put effort towards the goal. 

8 hours ago, kochinac said:

How on earth is this choicless? You want digging affinity you go dig untill you get one.

...and Mind logic while I was digging.

lol... anywho.

While digging you can get digging, mind logic, body stamina, body strength, and shovel skill. I don't mind an affinity from any of those if I decide i want to grind for good ql clay or just want my characteristics going higher. Infact, who can really complain about getting extra skill. I'm just saying that its dull how the affinity system works, and it would be cooler if you could strive towards a specific affinity.

But i agree this should be balanced so each skill has equal chance, so there will not be punnishing specific priest because all his spells has long timers, or meditation which basicly have only one quite long timer..

Thats right o.o completely forgot about meditation. That makes me wonder if skills like repairing and fishing would be ez affinities. All the weapons and archery skills would probably be difficult too.

2 hours ago, Yiraia said:

I don't understand how you can feel proud about something luck based. 

in a game which is RNG ruled you can only be proud of what probable work you put in to achieve something. The more you grind, the better chance to gain an affinity, if you end up getting more it reflects the work you put in.
Or you can get 50 affinties in 1 day ofc.

Still not sure why there's complaints, affinity system was always luck based, you go into a fight with 20 vs 20 people you can walk away with none. After the update Now you can walk away from 1 vs 20, which would otherwise be 20 affinities all for you and leave with none. That's really where skill came into it yet pvpers can walk away with zero affinities. 

let's hear people speak up on that

When you got a kill and did so legit, that was something to be proud off. Maybe now we're on the same page as to what was undermining the reward system with alt abuse and undermine achievements of getting many affinities through real pvp, many argued here that it was perfectly fine to get around this system by alt farming and Undermine those who were proud of getting affinities legit. Even tho that would never reflect to them cause people would just assume alt farmer.

Edited by Mclavin

11 hours ago, kochinac said:

How on earth is this choicless? You want digging affinity you go dig untill you get one. it's not like you can get blacksmithing affinity in the process... But i agree this should be balanced so each skill has equal chance, so there will not be punnishing specific priest because all his spells has long timers, or meditation which basicly have only one quite long timer..

It's choiceless because it doesn't modify my behavior; if I'm digging, it's because something needs to be done. Perhaps this is a Freedom/Epic difference; on Epic, I don't have time to grind digging or blacksmithing merely in hopes of getting affinities.

So, in my case, an affinity would be a bonus for doing what I would do anyway. I see no real gameplay choices here. Again, I don't mind bonuses, but it would be nice if there were interesting decisions involved.

Edited by Roccandil

mate, treat it like the gem/bone system, you aren't mining for gems or bones but sometimes it happens. It's a perk for skillers. 

That's the thing "Perk". Better to have it than not have it. if you don't want it then let's undo it all, but alt farming isn't an option anymore. 

Edited by Mclavin

People ask for a way to gain affinities outside of pvp, a system is created and people still complain. Wogic 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

mate, treat it like the gem/bone system, you aren't mining for gems or bones but sometimes it happens. It's a perk for skillers. 

That's the thing "Perk"

And is boring. A piece of candy being thrown at you for simply playing the game. I don't see many people digging solely for gems or bones. Simply playing the game and they occasionally pop up. Other xp bonuses are goal oriented. Go to a rift and make the rune, Get a priest and cast coc, find a recipe and find the right combination, unlock 25% more with path of knowledge, maintain high nutrition, follow a certain diety. All of those you can aim for and feel accomplished in the end, and the majority of them could be traded. 

4 minutes ago, Holar said:

People ask for a way to gain affinities outside of pvp, a system is created and people still complain. Wogic 

Just saying it could be more enjoyable. If you were hungry and a person offered you spoiled food, wouldn't you complain? The system is something, but just.. meh.

Well there is a whole server where you can freely get affinities if you pvp :) probably going to see the number of macro bans go up in the next coming months too 

• Like 2

Yirana, you're literally saying the affinity system could be more fun and it's just been made available on freedom.

PVP was asking for reworks on affinity system for 10 years, so welcome to the club :P

Also noticed nobody wanted to speak up about pvpers walking away from fights with no affinities :D < That's the only issue they should be focused on right now! 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Yirana, you're literally saying the affinity system could be more fun and it's just been made available on freedom.

archeology system was fun right when it came out. Cooking system had a few bugs here and there where food gave negative hunger or ql, I forgot. Once those were fixed it was fun to start with (then boring after figuring out you can get everything you want from a meal. I was under the impression I needed to bake fatty foods to get the fat needed to increase favor regen and wasted time finding recipes for stuff like iced muffins ;-;). The fact that the system JUST came out doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.

You guys are getting more fired up than you really need to be. I simply see people celebrating like...

Spoiler

B6xPuPk.jpg

When its REALLY not that much to look forward to. "Oh you should be thankful if it was 1/1000000000" "There was no chance before." I downloaded this game and paid for premium to have something to do. This update provided us nothing but affinities for what we already do randomly, not another task.

1 hour ago, Mclavin said:

PVP was asking for reworks on affinity system for 10 years, so welcome to the club :P

The club of waiting forever to get a fix? I'm currently in the club of receiving a boring update. I don't mind getting affinities randomly, but it would be much more enjoyable if they were actually hunted. 

@Holar lol what makes you think I would enjoy that more XD.

On 19/01/2018 at 10:52 PM, Arium said:

this is the problem that i see with everyone right now. you mention mining. so what?

i have 99.99 mining and 100 digging. so yes, i certainly would have a fair chance of an affinity if i would be using high speed tools.

but what about the other 99% of players doing the other 99% of skills?

...not to mention that people with those high skills are in many cases NOT doing those things all day every day since they can just go mine 100 QL mats with their runed axes when they need it, but may instead be hunting or healing or doing other types of grinding with low ql tools (putting them way outside the 15 second margin as well). I guess if you need to make a choice it is either grind with low ql high coc tool and put yourself outside the window of opportunity but at least get constant (tiny as) skill ticks, or go for binges of mindless speed mining with high ql high WoA tool and hope for an affinity.

Then again, with 100 digging...what use is an affinity?  You have already put in the hard yards and years of effort to get there, it will only allow others who are not that high yet, to catch up with less effort.

Edit: In reply to the OP: No (and I don't know anyone else who has either).

Edited by Fairyshine
Forgot to reply to OP

I for one am happy I don't have to go out of my way in an attempt to gain these affinities, but can instead just continue playing as I always have and maybe get lucky.

Could the rates be adjusted and some tweaks be made? Sure, but this is the first iteration of the system, you can't expect it to be perfect right off the bat.

• Like 2

I'd consider tweaking PoK to preserve existing affinities, and give a better chance to get new ones. At least on Epic. :P (Maybe then PoK will be a viable option there. :( )

I see this new affinity drop as just a *perk* from doing things that you would be doing anyway. Better than restricting it to a "grinding" system for sure, which is one of my issues on how the skill gain system is structured in that after a certain skill level you will get miniscule gains from just doing the work that particular skill involves. Contrast that with WU in that from simply using the skill you will get almost the same gains as if you were "grinding" it with coc items at very reduced speeds.

Yeah, WO is not structured like WU for skill gains so those who play this game must accept that fact and resort to the boredom of "grinding" skills to get to the higher levels. At least this affinity *perk* gives players a chance to receive one from simply playing the game. That's an improvement in the right direction, if it is not "adjusted" downwards for being too "easy mode". It will be a nice little surprise should one happen to pop up.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

So much crying in this over the new system.

I just wanted to see who gets a new affinity, take your complaints to suggestions.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

So much crying in this over the new system.

I just wanted to see who gets a new affinity, take your complaints to suggestions.

I found a new one today when I checked my skills. (I really don't know when I got it...)

Scored this one today while doing some leveling. Kinda surprised me since I had my blinders on for the last couple of months and hadn't even realised they'd changed the system.

[18:52:28] Body strength has increased to rank 1 affinity

Edited by Emoo
  • Like 3

On 19/01/2018 at 11:58 PM, Retrograde said:

we're logging every affinity gained from this system on every server and will review and adjust accordingly. We won't want this to be impossible, but we also don't want it to be a system that is easily gamed. 

As the new system has been around for a little over a weekend now, could you release the affinities gained stats so far?  No need to say who got what, just curious how many were gained through a few days of prime time play.

Curious minds want to know!

On 1/19/2018 at 7:51 AM, Mclavin said:

Just play and get lucky, think that's the idea. If you're grinding for affinities then you're better off eating meals anyway

This guy doesn't do math. Because apparently eating meals for a 10% affinity is better than grinding up 3+ affinities over the course of weeks of heavy usage of a particular skill. 

14 hours ago, Budzilla said:

I for one am happy I don't have to go out of my way in an attempt to gain these affinities, but can instead just continue playing as I always have and maybe get lucky.

Could the rates be adjusted and some tweaks be made? Sure, but this is the first iteration of the system, you can't expect it to be perfect right off the bat.

Actually, 2 days before you made this post, they already tweaked rates. 

3 hours ago, Arronicus said:

This guy doesn't do math. Because apparently eating meals for a 10% affinity is better than grinding up 3+ affinities over the course of weeks of heavy usage of a particular skill. 

picardfacepalm.jpg

• Like 1

Miscellaneous items has increased to rank 1 affinity

Was doing a little repairing and picked it up and hour ago. Happened to notice it just now.