Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 18/JAN/18

Changes and additions:

• We have adjusted some creatures spawn tile requirements to prevent the over abundance of seal colonies on rocky shores. Rats can now spawn on rock near water and seals may spawn on beaches. We’ll continue to monitor locations of large seal colonies.
  • The ability to dig dirt or resources directly into a pile has been added. The keybind dig_to_pile will allow you to dig dirt and other resources and have them go into a pile at your feet.  Once the pile is full, the resources will go into inventory. This is only available via the keybind which can be set in the console or in the keybind tab on the settings page.
  • Hell horses now have new colour names to differentiate them from regular horses.
    • Brown > Cinder
    • Gold > Envious
    • Black > Shadow
    • White > Pestilential
    • Grey > Ash
    • Ebony Black > Molten
    • Piebald Pinto > Nightshade
    • Blood bay > Incandescent
  • Examining a live horse or hell horse will now give it’s colour in the examine message.
  • Title for masonry 100 added – Another Brick In The Wall
  • Sealed containers can now be placed on merchants.
  • Sealed dye containers will now show the RGB in the title.

Affinity System Adjustments:

Overkilling Changes:

(Note: Overkilling is the mechanic that stops any skillgain, affinity gain, rank bonuses etc from killing a player too often)

• The time limit of 3 hours between kills to trigger overkilling of another player (after having killed them at least 3 times already per player) has been increased to 6 hours.
  • Overall kills on a single player are now tracked, and will count as overkilling if killed more than 3 times by any other player in a short time.
    • When killed in PvP a player will gain a death count and a 3 hour timer will tick down.
    • If killed while that timer is ticking down, another death count will be gained, and the timer will reset to the 3 hour mark and start again.
    • After this timer has ticked down, a death is removed from their count and the timer will reset if any death counts remain.
    • If a player’s death count increases over 3, then any PvP kills against them will count as overkilling until that death count is again below 3.

Affinity Changes:

• When using a skill premium characters will now have a small chance to gain an affinity in that skill upon a successful skill check.
    • On average once every 2 hours, a character will open a 15s window of time where every successful skill check will have a chance to gain an affinity in that skill. (e.g if you are mining during this window, you could gain an affinity in mining, pickaxe, miscellaneous items, body stamina, body strength, soul strength, mind logic, mind, soul, or body)
    • The chance to gain an affinity is 1/500 if you have no affinities in that skill, 1/1000 if you have one affinity, 1/1500 if you have two affinities, 1/2000 if you have 3 affinities and 1/2500 if you have 4 affinities.
    • If an affinity is successfully gained during the 15s window, the window will reset and no more will be able to be gained until the next window on that character.
    • This window will remain open and check every skill tick until an affinity is gained or the 15 seconds is up.
    • We will be monitoring these chances and making changes as necessary.
  • Stealing affinities upon killing a character in PvP has changed:
    • If the dead character only has one affinity total, they will not lose that affinity and the killer will not gain an affinity.
    • If the dead character has more than one affinity, then a random one is lost and may go to the killer.
      • If the dead character has more affinities in that skill than the killer, then the killer will gain that affinity 100% of the time.
      • Otherwise, the chance for the killer to gain the affinity is dependant on the difference between the number of affinities in that skill each player has (before the dead character loses the affinity).
      • If the difference is 0, the chance is 50% for the killer to gain the affinity. Difference of 1 is 25%, difference of 2 is 12.5% and difference of 3 is 6.25%.
    • If an affinity is lost by the dead character and none gained by the killer, then the killer will receive a timed affinity in that skill that will last for a week.

Client Changes:

• Bugfix: Various objects should not re-appear in wrong places after traveling
  • Bugfix: Keybinds set for GRAVE key will now save correctly

Bug Fixes:

• Bugfix: An issue causing continued lag on Elevation since the release of 1.6 has been identified and addressed. We will continue to monitor the server for any instances of extended lag
  • Bugfix: You should no longer be able to drag more than 100 items into the saddlebags or saddle sacks.
  • Bugfix: The 2017 Saddle Sack gifts should no longer decay.
  • Bugfix: A roof on a south or east building border tile should no longer block wall plans.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue with keybind for combine fragment not working properly.
  • Bugfix: Fillets of fish and meat should no longer change to generic fish/meat fillets when dragging from one bulk container to another.
  • Bugfix: Weight reduction runes on tool and weapon heads will be ignored so that the items can be used for creation and not return a too little material message.
  • Bugfix: Corrected various text messages.
  • Bugfix: Fixed Valrei scenario mission rewards being awarded incorrectly.
  • Bugfix: You should no longer be able to resize a deed with enemy presence.
  • Bugfix: Removed double taste and drink option on sealed containers with something activated in inventory.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue with control-click and dragging containers inside containers.
  • Bugfix: You can now drag items directly into containers inside equipped saddle sacks/bags.
  • Bugfix: Disallowed PvP opportunity attacks on other players on PvE servers, except in spars/duels.
  • Bugfix: Removed double application of bloodthirst for archery on Epic.
  • Like 12

13 minutes ago, DevBlog said:
  • Bugfix: Fixed Valrei scenario mission rewards being awarded incorrectly.

Good to see this one fixed.

But what will happen to BL, seeing as they missed out on their Tome in the last scenario? 

It would be good to see the lottery for the top 20% of contributors be redone, as a lot of time was spent doing missions only to miss out due to a bug.

24 minutes ago, DevBlog said:
  • This window will remain open and check every skill tick until an affinity is gained or the 15 seconds is up.

Amount of skill ticks in a certain time seems counter intuitive for some skills, Say for skilling mining with a 1ql pick every two hours you'd get one shot of an affinity, you could even miss the window entirely if you weren't full stamina+high mining, whereas using a high ql pickaxe with 3 second timers you'd have multiple shots at characteristic and misc items. Or repairing giving 5+ ticks a second of repairing mind mind logic and misc items would have a much higher chance of giving an affinity if you were repairing during the timer. Overall seems like it's going to give out characteristic affinities majority of the time, since nearly every skill has atleast 2 body/mind/logic and 2 actual characteristics, and you get more total ticks in them than you do actual skills.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DevBlog said:

Title for masonry 100 added – Another Brick In The Wall

Love it!

• Like 1

+1 the changes. I wasn't sure about the first part "Player will not lose an affinity if he has 1 left and killer will not gain" I figured, my enemies never have more than 1??! But, with the skilling changes and real account I fight will likely have gained some from that, so it pretty much renders the 2s alt farm useless so once I understood that, +1 +1. 

If a player has 1 affinity and i kill him, do I get the timed affinity?

Also, the only other change I can say to Cherry coat this and aim towards Alt usage in general.

If below 20FS and you can't drop a tab/affinity/give a timed affinity, then your death should be PVE death loss when killed by player.
This will stop griefing alts such as priests with no fight skill playing dumb, highest skill should be lost first. 

26 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Amount of skill ticks in a certain time seems counter intuitive for some skills, Say for skilling mining with a 1ql pick every two hours you'd get one shot of an affinity, you could even miss the window entirely if you weren't full stamina+high mining, whereas using a high ql pickaxe with 3 second timers you'd have multiple shots at characteristic and misc items. Or repairing giving 5+ ticks a second of repairing mind mind logic and misc items would have a much higher chance of giving an affinity if you were repairing during the timer. Overall seems like it's going to give out characteristic affinities majority of the time, since nearly every skill has atleast 2 body/mind/logic and 2 actual characteristics, and you get more total ticks in them than you do actual skills.

Good points. It feels wurmish that they chose a way similar to rarity, yet there are consequences that will imbalance the results. If instead of 15 it's 20 (like rarity, and it captures a little more from actions like mining), and skills like repairing or botanizing get it per "ticks-a-second", at least it gives a reasonable chance to every skill, but the imbalance remains.

I don't know what to do that wouldn't be imbalanced, and particularly in favor of characteristics apparently. At least if it has to be, it should be in favor of skills not characteristics. Still thinking about it...

On the other hand, I also note that mining with 1ql pick would result in quite a lot of "failures", 1 ql ores, and those are not successful skill checks afaict, so they wouldn't get it anyway even if they happened in time. I'm quite ok with some corner cases being disfavored, if they are indeed corner cases...

Congrats to dev team, affinity solution seems quite elegant and good so far to minimaze abuse, give new players less reasons to fear pvp death, doesnt take away from pvp reward, destroyes lazy 2s affinity completly. I'm truly impressed :) This year started great :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Congrats to dev team, affinity solution seems quite elegant and good so far to minimaze abuse, give new players less reasons to fear pvp death, doesnt take away from pvp reward, destroyes lazy 2s affinity completly. I'm truly impressed :) This year started great :D

At least we can both stop debating that topic now lol. This change was great, perfect balance on paper imo and even gives the PVP cluster a wider pool of affinities to gain. Great.

To devs, I put a final suggestion in aimed towards alt abuse to penalize it through mechanics.

• Like 1

So for the dumb wurmian query here, I'm imping away and timers start at 12s. They only get longer from there. Does this mean by the 3rd or 4th action I've no chance at even rolling that 1/500th because my timer is longer then 15s?

2 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

So for the dumb wurmian query here, I'm imping away and timers start at 12s. They only get longer from there. Does this mean by the 3rd or 4th action I've no chance at even rolling that 1/500th because my timer is longer then 15s?

If your imp ends right before the 15s period opens it can miss it, more likely the longer the timer is. 20s timer would be 1/4 chance to miss 30s timer 1/2 chance to miss on average for example.

2 hours ago, DevBlog said:

a 15s window of time where every successful skill check will have a chance to gain an affinity in that skill.

As i read this, i assume if your action ends within these 15 seconds (and you get a skill tick) you have a chance of getting affinity in this skill.

For meditation that means you have a slight chance to get an affinity if the meditating ends within that 15 second period and you get a skill tick, right?

Edited by Nordlys

2 hours ago, DevBlog said:

Changes and additions:

• The ability to dig dirt or resources directly into a pile has been added. The keybind dig_to_pile will allow you to dig dirt and other resources and have them go into a pile at your feet.  Once the pile is full, the resources will go into inventory. This is only available via the keybind which can be set in the console or in the keybind tab on the settings page.
  • Sealed containers can now be placed on merchants

Bug Fixes:

• Bugfix: A roof on a south or east building border tile should no longer block wall plans

Yassssss, Thank you!

the affinity gain window for skilling needs to change from a timed window to "the next 5 skilling actions".  That way people can repair, mine for speed or mine for skill gain and not be unbalanced.  Really simple fix.

Edit: Thank you for this addition!!  The PvE world is smiling today.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 8

Very impressive set of changes and fixes, thank you! The affinity changes are much better than feared and seem fit their purpose well.

I absolutely love the dig_to_pile and a bit sad I was not paying attention on work on my bow BT in time :P

Question about the new affinity system, do you get any notification that the 15 second timer has started? (other than a skill message about getting an affinity)

Love this update ^ ,^ Especially seeing a hellhorse color named perfectly for meeeeee! Nightshade <3   Also, seems horse corpses are defaulting to white color. 1d723cccb8.png

Please tell me the chances here of getting a affinity are not as uncommon as getting a fantastic item. Odds seem pretty low.

"The chance to gain an affinity is 1/500 if you have no affinities in that skill, 1/1000 if you have one affinity, 1/1500 if you have two affinities, 1/2000 if you have 3 affinities and 1/2500 if you have 4 affinities."

Thanks for the digging update also, it really means a lot to everyone I think!

e26a2687d90461ba7c06c53a12b059a0.jpg

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DevBlog said:
  • Stealing affinities upon killing a character in PvP has changed:
    • If the dead character only has one affinity total, they will not lose that affinity and the killer will not gain an affinity.
    • If the dead character has more than one affinity, then a random one is lost and may go to the killer.
      • If the dead character has more affinities in that skill than the killer, then the killer will gain that affinity 100% of the time.
      • Otherwise, the chance for the killer to gain the affinity is dependant on the difference between the number of affinities in that skill each player has (before the dead character loses the affinity).
      • If the difference is 0, the chance is 50% for the killer to gain the affinity. Difference of 1 is 25%, difference of 2 is 12.5% and difference of 3 is 6.25%.
    • If an affinity is lost by the dead character and none gained by the killer, then the killer will receive a timed affinity in that skill that will last for a week.

To be honest, I'm rather pissed off that yet another change gets implemented WITHOUT ANY DEV FEEDBACK TO NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS. There were no responses to either of the two large threads talking about affinities.

Why should I be punished for killing someone 1v1 and not gain their affinity if they have one? 50% just for the second affinity in the skill if both characters have one affinity in that skill? 25% if I have 2, and they have 1???

Seriously, it's a useless change that, as I mentioned numerous times before, punishes honest people killing honest players. You could argue the timed affinity is a suitable replacement, but it is not. What if I'm a priest and I kill someone with a crafting affinity? Should I de-priest just to grind it for a week, and then repriest afterwards (instead of depriesting in the future with the affinity)?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Xallo said:

To be honest, I'm rather pissed off that yet another change gets implemented WITHOUT ANY DEV FEEDBACK TO NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS. There were no responses to either of the two large threads talking about affinities.

Why should I be punished for killing someone 1v1 and not gain their affinity if they have one? 50% just for the second affinity in the skill if both characters have one affinity in that skill? 25% if I have 2, and they have 1???

Seriously, it's a useless change that, as I mentioned numerous times before, punishes honest people killing honest players. You could argue the timed affinity is a suitable replacement, but it is not. What if I'm a priest and I kill someone with a crafting affinity? Should I de-priest just to grind it for a week, and then repriest afterwards (instead of depriesting in the future with the affinity)?

But its all approved by Mclovin!

• Like 5

Also, perhaps it was overlooked, but with affinities only being lost if you have two affinities, virtually no affinities will ever be lost/gained in real PvP anymore.

1/500 for the first affinity in a skill, and then 1/1000? Someone will have to have successfully gained two affinities in that skill in order for you to even have a chance to win that affinity now.

Great, now affinity drops will essentially NEVER HAPPEN.

Edited by Xallo

2 minutes ago, Xallo said:

Great, now affinity drops will essentially NEVER HAPPEN.

That is essentially how the new change works, but it is what mclovin wanted, due to all his posts in suggestions and his buddies posts in server bugs and seriously this was never a server bug and had no right being posted as such, but everything in these forums is biased so it is what it is.

If an affinity is lost, it should always go to one of the killers. It seems particularly double to combine it with the overkilling mechanic, which already does hurt legit players. I remember killing enemy players dozens of times in a matter of hours - tonygreen - . Why can't gms just keep an eye out like they do for champion players to look for alt abuse. The death tabs show if someone gets killed a lot. 

21 hours ago, DevBlog said:

When using a skill premium characters will now have a small chance to gain an affinity in that skill upon a successful skill check.

• On average once every 2 hours, a character will open a 15s window of time where every successful skill check will have a chance to gain an affinity in that skill. (e.g if you are mining during this window, you could gain an affinity in mining, pickaxe, miscellaneous items, body stamina, body strength, soul strength, mind logic, mind, soul, or body)
  • The chance to gain an affinity is 1/500 if you have no affinities in that skill, 1/1000 if you have one affinity, 1/1500 if you have two affinities, 1/2000 if you have 3 affinities and 1/2500 if you have 4 affinities.

This is a great change, but to me it seems that now you have to either effectively grind the skill with very little chance of  getting useful affinity because of longer timers(most of my grinding timers are close to 15-20 seconds so hitting the window even 1 time can be problematic) or grind the affinity itself with shorter timers. more resources spent, more burnout from clicking one button like crazy, etc. And in most cases, 10% or even 20% skill gain increase is not worth it. Also, keep in mind that useful skill ticks are usually listed last. so, to my understanding, it will be more likely to get soul, rake or nature affinity before farming affinity.

Another caveat is that, at least in theory, it's much, much. much easier to get stat affinities, since you can just spam 2s mining actions which give you no mining skill gains, but still reward with body, body strength, body stam, mind logic, all with a chance of insanely useful affinity.

Sign in to follow this