Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Functional Archery Towers - Freedom Cluster

Back in 2015 MarkSilard suggested this;

I'd like now to suggest that archery towers functionality be turned on, on the freedom cluster.

• Like 2

Let them shoot all the trolls!

If its on deed not much different than a templar, if its a stickler, make them only functional with a templar on hand, be good for lolz.

its a bit sad that those towers have no use aside from decoration. coul dact like a guard tower. but if they take 10 dmg/fall under a certain ql: they stop shooting ( so need to maintain them, and they can be turned off since they wouldnt spawn archer guards)... option 2. new npc. guard archer XD

I'd love to have some sort of automatic defense against mobs in my area that didn't put my small collection of hostile pets in danger the way a spirit templar does.

• Like 1

The only thing I see wrong here is that they act essentially as zero maintenance or upkeep cost, loot generators. At least with a guard tower someone has to be in the area to call on the guards, an archery tower would be autonomous, and just serve to deprive folks of quite a lot of hunting as well. Maybe have its functionality on Freedom act like a guard tower, in that calling for its help causes it then to start firing at the targetted mob; where it wouldn't do so on its own?

• Like 7

Or code it to where tower only shoots so many arrows in a minute. Even at that there is nothing for the animal to agro so it could just walk away and regenerate health. 

As far as I remember archery tower does not shoot any single missiles. It's just make AOE damage periodically in some range to all the targets. Range and frequency depends on quality.

I suppose it shouldn't be only decorative item on freedom, When placed on deed, should damage all hostile creatures or KOS players in range, even when they are outside of deeded area.

• Like 1

-1 its bad enough if you have a hell horse with or without a cart and having to monitor if Spirit Templars are about to kill it, without them dying to archery as well :/ mobs are real easy and if you have a guard tower you can call for help anyway. There really is no need even for that setting that lets Templars attack aggressive creatures unless you have a lot of naked priest alts running around.

Make archery towers and turrets work identically as guard towers do now, meaning players must call for help.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rhianna said:

-1 its bad enough if you have a hell horse with or without a cart and having to monitor if Spirit Templars are about to kill it, without them dying to archery as well :/ mobs are real easy and if you have a guard tower you can call for help anyway. There really is no need even for that setting that lets Templars attack aggressive creatures unless you have a lot of naked priest alts running around.

branding your horse solves this

7 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

The only thing I see wrong here is that they act essentially as zero maintenance or upkeep cost, loot generators. At least with a guard tower someone has to be in the area to call on the guards, an archery tower would be autonomous, and just serve to deprive folks of quite a lot of hunting as well. Maybe have its functionality on Freedom act like a guard tower, in that calling for its help causes it then to start firing at the targetted mob; where it wouldn't do so on its own?

so its not a free loot generator, make it only work if its on deed and a templar has been hired, then its no different than a templar

• Like 2

I would like for *something* to happen with archery towers and turrets.

It doesn't have to be very powerful or even very helpful, like some weak AoE in the area. Just a bit of spice in the spirit of what they're supposed to be. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Isn't that essentially what a Templar is? A zero maintenance loot generator? They have an initial cost/upkeep cost, but could technically pay for themselves...

As a noob I used a deed with a Templar as a source of protection...would lure mobs to it, and then stick them in the backside a few times for little bits of skillgain/harm them. The deed owners (People who were trying to recruit me) logged in the next morning to find their whole deed littered with corpses which I couldn't access/butcher/do anything with...and they got all the loot from them...even though I was instrumental(Maybe not the most damaging) in taking those mobs out/brought them all to there. I also later learned that the 'alarm going off' locks the gates for about 2-5 minutes....(This began an argument between us, as I thought they were locking me out and kept having to ask them to unlock the gates for me...)

I would personally be fine with a autonomous turret/archery tower on a paid up deed that functions as a 'keep this area clear of hostile mobs'. The main stipulation I'd have is that it should only work for a certain range and anything beyond that range should be left alone. I say this with a 70+ QL guard tower on my deed and the ability to massacre nearly anything that steps on it already (77FS).

I think the bigger problem is that some areas spawn so much and then you could just setup a open deed with a thing like this that just kills and kills and kills and people could just waltz through using it as a butchering station...those dead mobs spawn more mobs somewhere else on the server...not necessarily the same spot so that isn't the problem...it's that certain areas are just deluged with mobs and this could be free skilling/loot for people. (Guards can be used the same way...just lure mobs to a deed and sic' em on them...if you're on KoS on a deed, you can lure a mob over near a deed, and sic them on it and go through the deed without getting guards on you..or if you really wanted to slaughter the guards, sic' a champion on them since a templar/guards can't handle one anyway...)

I'm not sure how the archery tower themselves function, as I don't step on PvP lands, but if they just shoot an occasional arrow at things that go through an area...that would be OK if it sometimes killed a thing that stopped following a person on a deed...it would take some amount of kiting the mob in a circle on the deed to achieve a kill. It shouldn't be an automatic one-hit kill or anything. Have them do a varying small amount of damage over time or something with the assumption that the towers were using arrows with barbs that caused bleeding wounds or something...

From reading these other posts, it sounds more like they work like a mage tower from other games...where everything in range of it(AoE) just gets auto-damage ticks to them every so often and eventually keels over and dies...which if we still had the huge mob herds piling up in places, would be a loot bonanza...

So yeah, this one I can see both sides of the issue, but I lean towards a 'yes' if we could figure out how to make them not be abused...

22 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

so its not a free loot generator, make it only work if its on deed and a templar has been hired, then its no different than a templar

as much as i wish to avoid paying 1s per month for an active guard, i think it would be a good compromise.
however,  1s a month is a fair amount when you're relying on 2 years of upkeep having been paid for. 
i think on freedom,  engineering them to work the same as guard towers do, might cause the least distress for long term deeds.

I feel a fair compromise would `ideally` be, they behave like guard towers off deed, thus provoking the need for repair & ql as payback and they become on active-alert when on-deed if templar hired. but i don't know the limitations of the code. 

strategically these things are used near deed perimeters anyway so the off-deed thing isn't a problem. 
hiring a templar would merely make them more versatile, such a thing often paid for. 

Edited by Steveleeb

If they depend on a templar, then it's a shame for all those in the wild. And confusing. So if a player sees an archery tower, it cannot tell if it would work until they go nearby to examine to see if it's on a deed? That pretty much kills usefulness for players who may need it. They're already chased and barely noticing what is around except the hell hound.

I'd prefer they NOT require a spirit templar being hired. A separate charge all their own would be fine.

15 hours ago, Anarres said:

If they depend on a templar, then it's a shame for all those in the wild. And confusing. So if a player sees an archery tower, it cannot tell if it would work until they go nearby to examine to see if it's on a deed? That pretty much kills usefulness for players who may need it. They're already chased and barely noticing what is around except the hell hound.

Fair enough, i was working along the assumption that these things are for deed defence. I hadn't considered the application of them in the wilds. 
did not want to ask for too much. 
Stone towers decay much slower than wooden ones so i can't see how archery towers would be a preferable build.
I'd prefer they not require a spirit templar to be hired, also.
I gave credit to the idea because people that pay 1s per month for a templar deserve more for their money. 

Edited by Steveleeb

On 1/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, Corsan said:

Isn't that essentially what a Templar is? A zero maintenance loot generator? They have an initial cost/upkeep cost, but could technically pay for themselves...

No, the "maintenance" is the 2s/month you have to pay to have them and the deed(minimal sized deed); what was suggested would've been strictly 0s/month. Paying for itself is a theoretical value, I was talking about real values ;)

+1 for new defense options.

+1 for new Archery tower functions

+1 for a revamped Guard tower

New players have problems using the weird "call guards" "call help" stuff in local

No other game does it and it is unnatural to use.

You not even got a button to press for help, you have to set up a keybind first, which is not set even on a new player and it is not mentioned in tutoriel.

Open the console and type in stuff, after 3 years i don't have the comamnd line in mind, it is complicated.

YOu could call the archery tower for help for example.

But please make a button to click for it!

Type help is something every new player needs to do at some point, when i had explained new players that they use local or need to make a line in F1 console, i felt really embarrased that we don't have a modern way for it.

It is quite an insult to new players, and i understand if they not continue playing Wurm Online, if we can't even get a button for /call help  :D

Looks like I'm the only one who wanted to man those things themselves...oh well.

Appearantly we could have automatic turrets or they behave like guard towers. Obviously, guard tower style function would make them pretty much just like guard towers, which is good, because it's not really a big concern to include.

It would also make them pretty much just like guard towers, which is bad. Archery towers would be quicker to deal damage to the mobs, but cannot tank for you, that's about the difference there is and we might aswell not even bother.

I'd prefer it to be automatic on-deed defense, but that needs to have some maintenance factor, I agree with that. But coupling this with a templar...kind of the same deal as above. "Why though?"

I suggest giving fletching some love here and making the archery tower a container. Put arrows in it to make it function, akin to a larder needing snowballs.

Every hit an archery tower performs "uses" an arrow the same way a player would if they conscientiously picked up after themselves; it uses the arrow with least damage, arrow QL influences damage (The towers QL could act in lieu of the bows QL), the arrow takes damage as though they were shot (but remain in the towers inventory), and have a chance to break. Damage taken and chance to break should probably be increased compared to arrows used by a player to compensate for the tower being automated, though I'm not sure how much.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 4

+1

Variation I'm thinking is

• They automatically shoot mobs within range.
  • Mobs being hit by arrows run away, out of range.
  • Tower QL affects accuracy of shots.
  • Arrows need to be loaded into the towers (not endless).
  • Arrow QL determines how many need to hit the mob before it leaves.

End result would be that animals and mobs no longer need to avoid deeds and deeded areas.

People who don't want mobs near their place install these towers to keep them at bay.

Other people who like having mobs at their doorstep either don't install these towers, or don't load them with arrows.

Wouldn't be a loot machine since they don't kill.

Different than guard tower, doesn't help you kill the mob, just gets them off your back.

New arrow type:  Tower Arrows, if needed programmatically to make it easier to drive mob behavior.  If hit by hunting or war arrow, doesn't run.  If hit by tower arrow, runs.