Sign in to follow this  
Thorvar

Alchemy like cooking

First of all, hi. I recently acquired this toon and acc from a close friend and I got to know a few cool updates Wurm has gotten over the months/years. I can't help but notice how complex and awesome the cooking update was and what it brought. It literally made the players semi-responsible for what is being created and it made them use their raw creativity to come up with new recipes for their cookbooks.

I've been thinking - alchemy is not a big thing here but what if it was? Imagine:

- wound healing potions (simply healthpacks)

- running speed potions (simply sprint boost)

- karma potions (maybe?)

- timed affinity potions (maybe?)

- cr increase potions (maybe?)

- repair potions (instead of using different resources use the potion to fix a wall e.g.)

- etc. etc.

All this could be pretty interesting as long as it works like the cooking system. Let's bring some arcana back to Wurm shall we?

• Like 1

+1 as long its not failure as cooking cameup to be in terms of practicality of diversion. I mean the way cooking is now you only want to mess with beverages, different recepies for pure roleplaying, otherwise you just crank up 10h affinity meal/pizza using excell and you're good. Would realy not like that to happen again.

Alchemy and natural substances realy need some dev love

Edited by kochinac

The reason why the cooking update can be considered "complex" and interesting is because there is a huge variety of skills and certain combinations of food are required are needed for certain affinities. However, imo, it was a huge amount of time wasted into the majority of people eating meals, bangers and mash, and pizza. Yeah theres the group of people that mess around looking at other foods for the enjoyment... but more people were against it. Either way, the list you provided wouldnt work with the cooking's system (unless im missing something)

37 minutes ago, Thorvar said:

- wound healing potions (simply healthpacks)

Look at WU code, find the best combination, no need for any other combination. May as well be a simple crafting recipe.

38 minutes ago, Thorvar said:

- running speed potions (simply sprint boost)

Look at WU code, find the best combination, no need for any other combination. May as well be a simple crafting recipe

39 minutes ago, Thorvar said:

- karma potions (maybe?)

Look at WU code, find the best combination, no need for any other combination. May as well be a simple crafting recipe

Okay I just realized what i said to the first 3 applied to all of them except timed affinity potions. Besides the affinity potion, everything you listed varies in potency. Am I reading this wrong?

+1 to a more involved alchemy system.

I'd like to see non-random hidden recipes that can be discovered through elaborate, careful research. This means people can choose to reveal or hide them, but then the code being open kinda messes that up. :(

+1 in Theory, but to model it on cooking misses an opportunity to add in something a little different.

Personally i would prefer a system which is essentially random ... so someone with ql 1 ingredients, alchemy 1 and ql 1 equipment will product a potion of random effect (with that effect (or effects) being 99% negative).

Increased ql ingredients produces a better ql end product

Higher Alchemy skill makes it so your more able to get the positive effect you require.

Increased ql equipment reduces the chance of a negative effect.

So in effect all ql 1 = deadly poisonous potion, very low quality product with a very slim chance of getting the desire result onto of the drawback

all ql 50 = reasonable chance of getting the effect you want with a small chance of a negative effect, medium quality product

all ql 99 = always getting what you want, with no drawback and a high quality product

The list of effects can be as small as healing covers or as large as imagination and dev time allows.

Chose the desired effect, warm up the flasks and cauldron and have at it.

I'm not so sure I would want it related to the cooking skill(Or done like it), but we certainly need more alchemy options. (I'm 35+ alchemy skill, 62+ natural substances...currently)

I would love to be able to alchemise potions for people that could be useful in some form or another...and give me a reason for having done this skill...

-1 for making odd potions making things too easy(overpowering); keep it real