Sign in to follow this  
sandokhan

Xanadu insane lag

Weird...people complain but nobody is making a topic about it. Anyway...wurm online team...this isnt enjoyable anymore...this is realy bad. Do something... because this is realy unacceptable...

• Like 1

I agree... lag is much worse in the last few weeks... makes for a less enjoyable game.

Well yes, I was fine until last night... then it got so bad that I just logged out a nd played something else which was not exactly fun either.

But anything I waned to do was greeted with "Your position on the server is not updated. Please move slower." ... doors started to take between 1 and 3 Minutes to open, I disembark from my Wagon and then on my client it visually is in front of me but I do not get the embark as commander option so I suspected the Server had it sitting somewhere else and as I moved around clicking the Wagon visually while it was miles away at one point I got the embark, used it and then the visuals slided under my rear... very odd.

If it was not for my deed and the time and money invested, I would server move by now. ._.

I hope this is getting some sort of fix soon, at least weekly restarts... as after a restart it is at least playable.

I had some information that they're working on it but thats all i know.

Yea, Retro said a few times (as people complained plenty of times so he had to repeat it ;) ) that they are working on optimizing things but that it is a long and slow process, I don't mind that and so far I have not had many issues.

But last night and today were crazy for me anyhow and going by chat plenty of people had issues for quite a while longer. :/

Guess the super long uptime took its toll on the poor thing.

Anyhow, a weekly restart (simply restart it when there is no patch, and if there is a patch that restart should suffice as well) to keep it playable until they figured things out and get Xanadu running as smooth as the other servers would not be a bad thing - imho anyhow.

Edited by Milkdrop
  • Like 1

How I fix lag.  Rage quite wait two months come back.  Rinse repeat.

There's no easy fix.. a server this big is clearly straining resources and it's already been mentioned they can't do much about it except continue to optimize.   They went so far as to slow down how long meals cook and how many meals will cook per server tick.. that has to tell you something.  They are trying to find any and every optimization they can, no matter how silly.  There was nothing wrong with meal cooking, it was purely to help the server's response time.  It's either remove the server or continue to optimize as best as can be, and we all know what happens to people suggesting xanadu be removed.

At this point, personally I'd say they should do restarts every 3 days.  Downtime sucks, but it's a price you pay for a map that is so large it's lagging itself.  

Another option, stop making items, houses, walls, breeding animals, leaving stuff on the ground, statues, furniture, containers.   Every single one of those is checked for dmg or age every few ticks or so, the less creatures or items that exist the less the server has to process them and the more time it can wait for your input.  However, at that point, you may as well just stop playing on the map.

/2cents

Edited by Nomadikhan

I've noticed in the last few days what appears to be to longer than ideal of a gap between end of action and beginning to regain stamina with periodic finishing lag.

I wonder if the team has looked into servers-less computing, they could probably seriously increase performance, and possibly cut costs.  AWS offers functionality they could use to make this happen.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:10 PM, Aetherion said:

I've noticed in the last few days what appears to be to longer than ideal of a gap between end of action and beginning to regain stamina with periodic finishing lag.

finishing lag, opening gates lag really tiring.