Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Instanced Wurm PvP

Wondering how much interest from freedomers mostly but everyone in general there would be for a safer version of Wurm pvp you can queue into from deed and join with either your own gear and stats in a no drop no skill loss environment or set gear and stats in different situations such as 3v3, 2 team hota or anything else anyone can think of.

I love the full loot side of Wurm and don't want to see it removed don't get me wrong but I feel Wurm needs a safe pvp style everyone can enjoy without the die 1 time lose everything side being the only choice to pvp outside 1v1 duels in the entire game.  I feel wurm pvp could see a lot more feedback with the 10x increase in population participating in it also if people where interested.

• Like 7

+1

Could be a sparring arena for general pvp (1v1, 2v6, 10v10), a battleground kind of arena (survival of the fittest?), and regular full loot pvp (Chaos).

The two first with or without scaling of items and skills (if there is reward there should be scaling), and Chaos remains the same.

Signup with some kind of item would be cool (right click recruitment board or token?).

• Like 1

-99999999 That's what ruined World of Warcraft, Teleporting from place to place to "have fun" instead of actually having a world to go out into

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darklords said:

Let's make a really boring version of wurm pvp because items and skills are soooo valuable I couldn't bare to lose them.

Can we stop with this? If you want to pvp, you're going to have to risk things just like everyone else has done since the beginning of wurm. I cannot understand why non-pvpers are so hellbent on destroying what built this game from the ground up and funded your little happy happy safe spaces in the first place.

• Like 1

let alone the fact it will yet again thin out the already low PvP population... it also completely undermines Wurms PvP values.

its a full loot skill game. It really isn't hard to make any gear you can loose in PvP. 

Actually Darklords is a pvper, and has been on pvp servers since he started playing. He loves it, but this game is dying whether you want to believe it and he jsut wants to introduce the idea of options to entice people into pvp. WWhat he is suggesting doesnt really interest me but I would think it might attract some pve people to at least try it and you never know they may like it so much they come to epic or chaos after.

• Like 2

I think the pvpers replying are missing the point that this isn't for them as much as for people who wouldn't normally join in full loot pvp activity but still want to have a pvp experience in wurm I wouldn't even be against keeping this freedom only and not allowing ques on pvp server if that really an issue for most people tho it seems extremely petty to me that you don't want other people to enjoy a safer version pvp just because you enjoy the full loot version.

Also to the "That ruined wow" guy, wow had queued battle ground since the start they even made battle groups during vanilla and moved it past same server battleground don't get me started buddy that's some stretch of an memory of wow lol.  I agree that all the instance teleporting/phasing stuff and everything is excessive these days but they had queued battle grounds since near day 1 vanilla that's not what ruined wow.

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, OinkMeHarder said:

Sounds like a terrible idea. Just play on a pvp server.

Great idea in theory, where is everyone on the pvp servers though I sure haven't seen them in years since the old epic days when serenity used to have 120 people at peak hours yearssssss ago now sandbox are dime a dozen unlike back then we won't see those days unless something crazy happens. Oldschool runescape and normal runescape before they ruined pvp with eoc has full loot pvp but it somehow manages to balance it with no drop for fun pvp at the same time you have safe pvp like minigames and full loot like the wilderness I don't see why they can't exist together why does pvp have to only be full loot can't both exist should we remove duels to than that's not full loot pvp.

Edited by Darklords

Lol I just mentioned that as a joke idea in another post

Again, Wurm combat is boring. some people may jump in to play and then realize its boring and just not play it ever again. It will be like the sad reality of Lunaro in Warframe. A gamemode separate from the majority of the game where less than 1% of the players mess around to play.

1 minute ago, Darklords said:

Great idea in theory, where is everyone on the pvp servers though? Oldschool runescape and normal runescape before they ruined pvp with eoc has full loot pvp but it somehow manages to balance it with no drop for fun pvp at the same time you have safe pvp like minigames and full loot like the wilderness I don't see why they can't exist together why does pvp have to only be full loot can't both exist should we remove duels to than that's not full loot pvp.

Wurm's main advantage over a more generic MMO is that it is purely sandbox. There are countless run of the mill games whereby instanced PVE and PVP can throw players together in a controlled environment where they can switch off their brains and play in a style that is not dictated whatsoever by the relationships between players/groups of players.

Every dev-controlled instance of pvp that is forced into the game waters down the sandbox aspect that makes wurm unique. I would say even HotA is bad for the game - coaxing players towards a preset area with statues as incentives turns player into zombies who think that the only time of the week appropriate for PVP is when the event log tells them to. 

• Like 4

This is one of the more constructive ideas ive seen on the progression of Wurm pvp. And when it comes from a guy that usually lives the pvp-lifestyle i think it deserves more constructive feedback than "nope -999999". I can totally see this as a great way for people like me and others to actually try to bash heads with other players and die or live.

For me, i somehow feel Chaos to be more of a time related affair. I chose to do that in Wurm for years. Im not interested in that, because im having a blast on the more quiet side of freedom. Whereas an arena of some sorts where i could queue to meet others for a set amount of time would suit me much more. I could log off the game and stop thinking of whats happening to my deed or my friends in my kingdom, but when i wanted to pvp i could easily log on and do that without any more thought, or risk of losing something.

Maybe ranking of some sorts could make it more interesting, but no prizes that would benefit the already rich and strong pls.

A great addition to the game imo.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, OinkMeHarder said:

Wurm's main advantage over a more generic MMO is that it is purely sandbox. There are countless run of the mill games whereby instanced PVE and PVP can throw players together in a controlled environment where they can switch off their brains and play in a style that is not dictated whatsoever by the relationships between players/groups of players.

Every dev-controlled instance of pvp that is forced into the game waters down the sandbox aspect that makes wurm unique. I would say even HotA is bad for the game - coaxing players towards a preset area with statues as incentives turns player into zombies who think that the only time of the week appropriate for PVP is when the event log tells them to. 

How is it watering down anything I am so confused by that? Currently the only way to pvp in wurm other than a 1v1 duel on the official servers is to go to a server that is dominated by 8 year veterans(both chaos and epic) that requires your entire time investment in only it to even pretend your doing anything, how do you expect anyone to get comfortable fighting on a server where you almost always lose everything on death the mortality rate for people quitting the full loot server even back when 120 people played on serenity was crazy high its just not a sustainable approach to keeping pvp relevant anymore on its own as has been shown by the populations not that lack of developer update for along time until recently didn't help. So how is it making the game any less by allowing people to have some form of safe group pvp to break up the grind.

Even if it was just an event held every so often, I don't see why wurm has absolutely 0 safe pvp options other than 1v1 duels when the sandbox nature of the game allows so many crazy options for fun and unique pvp experiences as most other sandbox games/modding community's have show. Maybe even just add some kind of ffa duel ring or just something to allow player hosted or official safe pvp outside 1v1 duels.

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 1

To feed the sandbox mouths like my own; we could even have to build the possible new mega-structure "Arena" (in lack of a better word) on our server to be able to queue from it.

This would add a great deal of demand for basic resources and community work.

Maybe the "arena" even has to be on deed, then it would add to that part aswell, as the deed would need to be big enough.

There are so many possibililies in this!

The fact is that multiple people have suggested valid ideas to save PvP (if you really want to go down that road)... all of which have been completely ignored.

those ideas rank a lot higher on my list then yours.

i understand it's a nice idea in concept to introduce new people into PvP in a much safer environment... but it could completely undermine and kill any chance of PvP on any other server.

5 minutes ago, Moonpoppy said:

The fact is that multiple people have suggested valid ideas to save PvP (if you really want to go down that road)... all of which have been completely ignored.

i understand it's a nice idea in concept to introduce new people into PvP in a much safer environment... but it could completely undermine and kill any chance of PvP on any other server.

So lets just live in the past is your argument, I bet if we just fix meditation we will have 500 people spread across epic/chaos like in the old days even tho that's about freedoms active population at any time.

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Inventor said:

I cannot understand why non-pvpers are so hellbent on destroying what built this game from the ground up and funded your little happy happy safe spaces in the first place.

yeah darklords, you non pvper.

2 hours ago, Inventor said:

Can we stop with this? If you want to pvp, you're going to have to risk things just like everyone else has done since the beginning of wurm. I cannot understand why non-pvpers are so hellbent on destroying what built this game from the ground up and funded your little happy happy safe spaces in the first place.

I hear you! Time to put an end to those safe spaces for carebears; no more children play - let's introduce permadeath, this will kickstart the pvp again fer sure /s

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darklords said:

o to the "That ruined wow" guy, wow had queued battle ground since the start they even made battle groups during vanilla and moved it past same server battleground don't get me started buddy that's some stretch of an memory of wow lol.  I agree that all the instance teleporting/phasing stuff and everything is excessive these days but they had queued battle grounds since near day 1 vanilla that's not what ruined wow.

i think you misread my post, i actually wrote : 

3 hours ago, Gladiator said:

That's what ruined World of Warcraft, Teleporting from place to place to "have fun

I didn't say "That's what ruined World of Warcraft , Battle arenas ever since the start of vanilla" . 

I think you need new glasses

31 minutes ago, Moonpoppy said:

Youre right, it may affect Chaos, both ways. If its in the wrong direction you could easily remove it again tho and no harm done (if there arent any 50s prizes on the table that is).

We do not have the playerbase to have both Open world pvp and Queue system, We don't have enough players for a ranking system which would be the only thing you'd be able to gain through this 

1 hour ago, Yiraia said:

Again, Wurm combat is boring. 

in pve yes but in pvp no, more factors come into it. When did you try real wurm pvp?

Edited by Mclavin

5 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

We do not have the playerbase to have both Open world pvp and Queue system, We don't have enough players for a ranking system which would be the only thing you'd be able to gain through this 

Is the current situation bringing in any new long term investors to Chaos?