Sign in to follow this  

11 minutes ago, Malcore said:

Hello,

This is a great move for pve and its a end game for people over 90 skill can work towards. Please put more things in like this. So now I can put bloodthirst on my weapons and go grind hunting and one day may get it. Thank you devs. Im also a 90 weaponmaster and now i can keep grinding on this to get it one day.  The affinity

wut

17 minutes ago, Xallo said:

Agreed.

Thank goodness I've already got skills with 3 or 4 affinities though. Now nobody will ever catch up in that regard!

After reading your post after the selfish one above, I think you are afraid people will catch up so you are arguing against it.  You are just as likely to gain additional affinities as anyone else, so no reason to think you're excluded.

The chance to get an affinity by succeeding in pvp gets reduced but instead they give more reward for not accomplishing something.

No fix was needed, only rule enforcement. This is realy the opposite of what should happen.

You earn affinities because you defeat a player. No need to change that. It was a one of the rewards for taken a risk, getting or losing an affinity. There is no risk in the new pve system. Could have added the affinity gain to a strong creature, but no they opt again for easy mode. Dont fool yourself, WO has no real pve, if so you would have AI deed raiders replacing the enemy players you encounter on Chaos.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

After reading your post after the selfish one above, I think you are afraid people will catch up so you are arguing against it.  You are just as likely to gain additional affinities as anyone else, so no reason to think you're excluded.

I'm arguing for quite the opposite. If you'd read the post, it explains gaining affinities after you've already got one in that skill is HARDER, not easier.

I'm arguing to keep it easy, not more difficult. Of course I could argue against it for selfish reasons, but why? Selfish attitudes are detrimental to the game.

"an increasing chance to not gain the affinity lost by the deceased depending on the number of affinities the killer has in that skill."

How would this benefit me more than a new player??? It'll literally make it harder for newer players to get 4 affinities in a skill whereas older accounts already have them. They'll have a secerely reduced chance to catch up!

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 4

As I see the new affinity distribution from PVP is a further step to drive away grindy types from PVP - and nails them more to PVE activities. Nerfing multiple affinities from PVP? Why? What is the rational reason behind this?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

On 12/4/2015 at 7:13 AM, Retrograde said:

Digging!

Another upcoming change will be that digging will now work similar to mining, with the dirt appearing on the tile, as opposed to into your inventory. This will only be for digging, and levelling/flattening will continue to work as it does currently.

Well that’s a little embarrassing…

I would say so.  I recently started checking out WU, and simply digging/leveling/flattening while standing on the ground automatically makes a pile on the ground (no separate keybind).  The real "Wurm-life" changing moment was when I started digging/leveling/flattening from my cart and it automatically puts the dirt in the cart/crates, or uses the dirt from the cart/crates when leveling up an area.  I know nothing about coding so I do not know how different things work from WO to WU, but I would think that collaborating with some of these talented modders in the WU community would help close that two year gap.  There is some great stuff out there that really cuts out a lot of the tedium of WO.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Just to prove I'm serious:

proof.png

This will only be a keybind (dig_to_pile) and won’t affect leveling or flattening, but regardless, I’m just glad it’s finally coming in!

Glad to see this in after so many years. Great work! :)

To me, the affinity change sounds like the developers punishing honest PvPers in their zeal to close an exploit. I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

• Like 5

My main issue is again pvp servers losing one its few perks it had. If devs just admitted pvp servers were 2nd class citizens then I would understand and stop expecting equal treatment.

• Like 4

Where are the animal crates?? I know they're not ready yet, but could we at least get a date for when they will be ready? If a specific date is too hard right now, I'd even be happy with just a month...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lolmaster said:

I forgot that Launcelot was one of the founding fathers of Wurm and knows what they had in mind when creating the game. :rolleyes:

I didn't know I needed to be Rolf to understand that gaining more than 1 affinity was a reward/trophy of pvp. Ie have basic knowledge or dare I say common sense.

And for the record before anyone says "GOTTEM" that is what the mechanic is/was. I am not speaking for/trying to speak for the creators/dev team.

4 hours ago, Budzilla said:

So why should it be limited to PvP? If the argument is "PvP should be rewarding" or "There needs to be a reason for people to PvP" I can tell you right now sure as hell that isn't going to fix anything or draw any new players in. It's been limited to PvP for a long time now and has done nothing to help.

Who said that it was gonna draw in new players? Is giving affinities to pve going to draw in new players to pvp? or is it gonna be a slap in the face to people that pvp and don't abuse the system?

Perm affinities from pvp is not the issue. The issue is people on pve and pvp abusing the system. Rewarding perm affinities on pve is just a slap in the face. It seems it is being done to remove the incentive for people to abuse the current system along with the added changes to the current system to pvp which will just punish those that actually pvp.

Seems to me it is like a dog that pees on the carpet... you smack it's nose then give it a treat. What is reinforced? My issue is that people abuse it and to keep people from abusing it they give another maybe slightly more rng way, that costs them no money to be able to get affinities (and no skill loss even if it is small).

Keep perm affinities as a reward/trophy for pvp. 

Edited by Launcelot
  • Like 1

You should make sure the killer gets the affinity every time. don't nerf legit pvp's affinities just because some people are exploiting, what are you replacing the loss/gain of an affinity on kill with?

there needs to be some buff or something if the affinity isn't gained then in that moment a temp timed affinity of 20% for 24 hours or sleep bonus or a chance to win some silver, that would be awseome. Give reward!!!!

Will the freedom affinities have this gain style as well? Where if i got 2 woodchopping affinities it becomes harder and harder to get the next??

You need to keep the rule in aswell imo.

adding more RNG into if I get a reward or not, on top of a players rez stone is just nerfing the reward side of pvp even further.
Already if we 10 vs 10 and win, it's a random chance against 10 other players we even get an affinity.
I think the mechanics preventing it in the first place, like over killing etc are important. But not how the legit pvp affinties are gained or lost just because I got 3 or w/e

There Must Be A Reward. I ain't leaving a fight empty handed if I go in and take risk to 1 vs 2 or w/e

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

Will we be able to "Level From Pile" if the pile is on the same tile, later down the line?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aaron_IRL said:

I would say so.  I recently started checking out WU, and simply digging/leveling/flattening while standing on the ground automatically makes a pile on the ground (no separate keybind).  The real "Wurm-life" changing moment was when I started digging/leveling/flattening from my cart and it automatically puts the dirt in the cart/crates, or uses the dirt from the cart/crates when leveling up an area.  I know nothing about coding so I do not know how different things work from WO to WU, but I would think that collaborating with some of these talented modders in the WU community would help close that two year gap.  There is some great stuff out there that really cuts out a lot of the tedium of WO.

I'm the author of that mod in WU and it's pretty trivial. If the dev team ever wants it in WO it shouldn't take more than half an hour to integrate it.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Xallo said:

Agreed.

Thank goodness I've already got skills with 3 or 4 affinities though. Now nobody will ever catch up in that regard!

Not that I want to penalize you for all the work you did, but on the other hand, when devs have one system in place to make an account very strong, then change mechanics that prevent anyone else from becoming the same, there needs to be a nerfing or re-balancing, or the game becomes completely broken.  I'm sure that concept will make all the old players upset - it always does.  But, this is how MMO games work.  When mechanics change, balance must also be restored.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bdew said:

I'm the author of that mod in WU and it's pretty trivial. If the dev team ever wants it in WO it shouldn't take more than half an hour to integrate it.

and we love you Bdew!  I swap between the WU and WO and boy does it seem like a chore each trip back to WO, when so many QoL features vanish.  I love how the mods from WU keep working their way to WO over time.

• Like 1

The complain from us pvpers is that now the only guaranteed reward from pvp we had has been left up to rng. Pvp just got nerfed. Personally I don't care about freedom getting affinities. Thats great! Maybe now my priest might get channeling affinities and skill up faster. 

What I dont understand is why the penalty? It does absolutely nothing against affinity sellers. If I want to buy an affinity from someone, and I have no affinities on that skill, I can sail across the border, kill, and viola! I am 100% guaranteed to get the affinity.

The part about consecutive kills on the same person? Sure that's great. But making it getting an affinity chance based when you already have an affinity on that skill is pointless. It does nothing to stop affinity farmers and just punishes legit pvpers.

If we're going to make affinities harder to get in PvP, then why not buff PoK to also prevent affinity loss? That fits the lore of PoK, and could make PoK a PvP-viable med option...

• Like 2

Seems like a knee jerk reaction for the affinity fix.. Cool update for digging I guess, can’t gank people digging off deed anymore that are weighed down.. 

• Like 1

There has been no updates for WU, since october, Has it been abandoned? Just asking... Thanks

Seems like it would just be easier to look at the logs every so often and just ban the offender. 

• Like 2

For me, pvp was always about the comeraderie of having to work in a group, and the challenge of having other people as my enemies, rather than just computers (which can always be gamed).  If you need perks to make pvp worthwhile to you, then you may be missing the point.  Who cares if pve and pvp have the same 'perks' - pvp will still have a play style that pve never will, and if that's what you're looking for, then you go pvp, regardless of the perks.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Wonka said:

For me, pvp was always about the comeraderie of having to work in a group, and the challenge of having other people as my enemies, rather than just computers (which can always be gamed).  If you need perks to make pvp worthwhile to you, then you may be missing the point.  Who cares if pve and pvp have the same 'perks' - pvp will still have a play style that pve never will, and if that's what you're looking for, then you go pvp, regardless of the perks.

That's absolutely correct which is why I wish PvP was more important to the Devs themselves here. PVP environments in Wurm have a level of community beyond that of PvE, which is derived from necessity. But look at it like this;

Let's say your avatar ingame has 70s in all skills across the board. Why would you risk playing on a server where you can be killed repeatedly by not just players but extremely strong creatures that sometimes take multiple people to kill...? Why would you pay to build a deed that costs 10s a month in upkeep and another 35s to found, when someone can simply stroll along with a cata or a treb and wipe you off the map in an hour. Or better yet, why would I live on a PVP server and actively engage in fights for no reward? There has to be SOME rhyme or reason to play there, there has got to be SOME benefit above and beyond that of PVE to balance out the risk of playing on a PVP server with an appropriate reward for doing so. As it stands there currently is none, affinities are pathetic. And now those are going away too lol.

• Like 4