Sign in to follow this  
Nordlys

Compost bin

The compost bin.

Put your damaged veggies, fish and rotten food to good use. Simply throw it out in the compost bin for some recycling and eventually you'll get dirt in return, and if you're really lucky you may find a seed!
(or something in that fashion)

Edit: Increase yield from farmland instead of giving dirt? Maybe make it generate something (like bee hives, but forage-stuff?) over time if you remove weeds from your nearby farms?

Made out of planks, shafts and nails. Uses carpentry.

Pictures for extra spicy selling point:

DIY-Compost-Bins-To-Make-For-Your-Homest

PR-2481177.jpg&w=600&h=421

- N

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 5

I came to +1 this suggestion because i thought it would increase yield in crops with fertilizer. Then found out it was only dirt creation. Not sure how I feel about crafters being able to "make" dirt (rather than collect from existing dirt) when its a priest spell.

HOLY BLEEPING YES!!!! +1

Should probably take twice as long as a coal pile when you hit the right amount.

Edited by Ascorbic

It shouldnt be fast, efficient or yield lots of dirt, thats not the case. But i think it would make a nice addition to the farming section of the game.

And heck, why not make it increase yield when placed on farmland, like the bee hives?

I was in fact thinking about a wheelbarrow aswell, as a smaller addition to carts. That would have to come in another suggestion topic tho. :)

Edit: added updated suggestion in OP.

Edited by Nordlys

Maybe make it so it gives half it's weight in compostables as dirt?

EX: Put 100 1kg pumpkins in the compost bin, get 100 0.5kg lumps of dirt.

4 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Maybe make it so it gives half it's weight in compostables as dirt?

EX: Put 100 1kg pumpkins in the compost bin, get 100 0.5kg lumps of dirt.

Good thought, although i think its way too easy still. :P

I'd like this idea if the compost was useful, other than a decoration.

I don't think yield should be the function though, its already possible to get more when you level farming up.

So here is my feedback, you could make compost similar to how paving works - lay the compost down then afterwards farm the tile and sow your seeds. Make the farmed tile look more dark vs regular dirt.

Doing this could prevent the tile from being completely removed when harvested. So no need to reseed. I'd give it about 2 cycles max. 

I would also allow path of love to be able to enchant a compost tile to be able to make the seeded tile to last indefinitely. Or maybe 100 uses.

It would automatically go to it's seeded sowed state right after harvest.

Edited by Niki

+1 for dirt generation; (could be working with variety of recipes to power the process(like e crafting recipe[, with extra component for boosting speed/yield/bonuses/etc]))

• Like 2

I would like it if the composting bin would combine damaged plants with some piles of dirt and produce "rich soil". The rich soil could be applied to harvestable plants and trees to increase yield and make smaller plot gardens and farms more productive. Maybe it could even make certain plants sprout more often.

Ideally I would like it to be a good way to convert extra dirt into something useful for other things.

Edited by Lianya
  • Like 2