Sign in to follow this  
Malcore

Why nobody pvps in wurm.

this threads title should be "why some don't want to pvp" 

• Like 4

On 1/10/2018 at 0:07 PM, Malcore said:

Hello,

Now is the time to change how pvp works in wurm to get other players to Chaos. Most freedom players will never go to try pvp on Chaos due to the fact of such a steep risk. No other pvp games out there allow u to lose stats from a pvp fight. Please change this for the love of God make it where u dont lose any hard earned stats due to a fight with a player. Its bad enough  you lose all your gear on you which is a huge pain to replace. That alone is a huge penalty. Affinity should be quest driven. If you make theses changes to the pvp system I will move to Chaos and never look back. Im sure others will try it out! Please make theses hard changes.

I do see your point, but there are games out there that you do lose stats even permadeath.

But that said,

Maybe FS lose can have a cap per day. So you wouldn't go below x set amount of FS if your FS is low. Once high it will simple revert back to simple skill loss. Giving lower level player a chance to catch up a bit. I mean we have path of knowledge as it stands. Could just add it in there.

Edited by gorgian

1 hour ago, gorgian said:

Maybe FS lose can have a cap per day. So you wouldn't go below x set amount of FS if your FS is low. 

Problem is not when your FS is low lol, you can make up up to 70ish skill with no problem, heck you can even level from 0 to 70 in a day if you work hard. But if you have 80+, 90+ and you loose 0.25 skill couple of times that can be very annoying

In an all serious attempt to remove the fear players have... Chaos is really not all that bad, deaths dont have to happen if you want to avoid it, the loss of a bit of fight skill and possible affinity is not game breaking. The loss of armor on chaos gets replaced normally within mins (as long as you are proactive and don't rage log) and the lack of necessity of needing money to buy everything is almost out the window unless you like to sometimes get your own things. 

The upside to chaos is the strong community between kingdom members and beck even the love hate relationship between kingdoms. Sometimes things can be stressful but the reality of thatbis only if you make things stress you out because there is always a fix for it if you try. 

There are some things wrong with chaos sure but the least of peoples problems are what seems to hold most people back. Jump in and you can see for yourself its not all that bad. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gorgian said:

I do see your point, but there are games out there that you do lose stats even permadeath.

But that said,

Maybe FS lose can have a cap per day. So you wouldn't go below x set amount of FS if your FS is low. Once high it will simple revert back to simple skill loss. Giving lower level player a chance to catch up a bit. I mean we have path of knowledge as it stands. Could just add it in there.

57 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Problem is not when your FS is low lol, you can make up up to 70ish skill with no problem, heck you can even level from 0 to 70 in a day if you work hard. But if you have 80+, 90+ and you loose 0.25 skill couple of times that can be very annoying

Noone cares about losing fight skill. That's not what's stopping people PvPing. 

4 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

In an all serious attempt to remove the fear players have... Chaos is really not all that bad, deaths dont have to happen if you want to avoid it, the loss of a bit of fight skill and possible affinity is not game breaking. The loss of armor on chaos gets replaced normally within mins (as long as you are proactive and don't rage log) and the lack of necessity of needing money to buy everything is almost out the window unless you like to sometimes get your own things. 

The upside to chaos is the strong community between kingdom members and beck even the love hate relationship between kingdoms. Sometimes things can be stressful but the reality of thatbis only if you make things stress you out because there is always a fix for it if you try. 

There are some things wrong with chaos sure but the least of peoples problems are what seems to hold most people back. Jump in and you can see for yourself its not all that bad. 

Bit of a difference between "not all that bad," and fun.

I get what you're saying, and I can see how it might mitigate the negatives for people who enjoy it, but "not all that bad" is not really a ringing endorsement for people who simply just don't enjoy it.

Perhaps rather than focus on why people don't pvp, the focus should be on why people do pvp and what kinds of commonalities there are within the population.  That way, maybe you can grow what they find fun, and target a bit of marketing to places where the commonalities are accentuated.  If they all love Taylor Swift, you throw some marketing at her fan club, or something.

I just think that in the process of trying to lure people who don't find it fun, you're going to make changes that decrease the fun for people who do currently enjoy it, while not really making much of a dent in the people that just simply don't want to do it, because they simply just don't want to do it.

• Like 1

people also might not know that pvp kills don't give 0.001 like a horse, you can be at 99 fs and suddenly be at 99.75 after a fight

edit: though when you get past 99.995~ its buggy and broken and gives as much as a horse

Edited by MrGARY

1 hour ago, kochinac said:

This i know all to well, just trying to meet the new players 1/2 way. Remember they are new!!!  Even just the though of losing skill is turning them off atm. So having a way even if it doesn't really do anything. Just the though alone can be enough for them to try the pvp server.

Edited by gorgian

16 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

Clearly it is. If you read the threat there was a comment about it. 

Edited by gorgian

I think the reason why people.don't pvp is not a single one thing, but the mixture of several. But for most, is simply they just dont like being at odds with someone else.

What a lot of people realize is that Chaos is just not all pvp. In fact, the majority of Chaos is pve: building deeds, grinding, imping plate sets or weapons, making tunnels, leveling mountains, hunting, surface mining, etc. In fact, a PMK is only as good as its builders. People dedicated to work for a pmk are oftentimes more important than those willing to man a catapult 

There are members who very seldom, if ever, participate in pvp. People like TC's Punishlife or Panda's Cybroachara are very valuable members of their respective communities. By providing bulk, labor, or services, they do their part, allowing those who rather do pvp to engage in what they really enjoy.

I think the misconception is not that those who don't pvp are afraid of loosing anything, or that they have no interest. Not in all cases anyways. For some? Sure. There are not absolutes. But I think the biggest setback is that people dont understand the way the Chaos community works. You dont get paid for digging 1k dirt or making 1k bricks, but you also dont have to pay for that nice set of Drake Set you get issued. 

Pvp on Wurm is a different game. Its not a money making venture or a business, its fully a game. You get loot and spread it between your mates and everyone works together for a common goal. Perhaps this doesnt interest everyone, but it is what it is, and that will not change.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I think the reason why people.don't pvp is not a single one thing, but the mixture of several. But for most, is simply they just dont like being at odds with someone else.

What a lot of people realize is that Chaos is just not all pvp. In fact, the majority of Chaos is pve: building deeds, grinding, imping plate sets or weapons, making tunnels, leveling mountains, hunting, surface mining, etc. In fact, a PMK is only as good as its builders. People dedicated to work for a pmk are oftentimes more important than those willing to man a catapult 

There are members who very seldom, if ever, participate in pvp. People like TC's Punishlife or Panda's Cybroachara are very valuable members of their respective communities. By providing bulk, labor, or services, they do their part, allowing those who rather do pvp to engage in what they really enjoy.

I think the misconception is not that those who don't pvp are afraid of loosing anything, or that they have no interest. Not in all cases anyways. For some? Sure. There are not absolutes. But I think the biggest setback is that people dont understand the way the Chaos community works. You dont get paid for digging 1k dirt or making 1k bricks, but you also dont have to pay for that nice set of Drake Set you get issued. 

Pvp on Wurm is a different game. Its not a money making venture or a business, its fully a game. You get loot and spread it between your mates and everyone works together for a common goal. Perhaps this doesnt interest everyone, but it is what it is, and that will not change.

Yep i agree it's not one thing. But, i do think people do know what a community is. which brings me back to one of my other post. LIF. The play style is very much a community thing. but i sure can find a heck of a lot more then 20 people there. 

1 hour ago, BrokenSanity said:

I care about loosing any skilll.... When you grind your account from the start for years, acount that is not my ingame character but infact me myself,  every single 0.001 skill is precious for me and don't want to lose it, but that's mybe just me. And how many horses i need to kill to get in stage of 95+ skill where all of people advocating how it's not hard to regain skill by killing players are now so i can do the same?

1 hour ago, MaurizioAM said:

In an all serious attempt to remove the fear players have... Chaos is really not all that bad, deaths dont have to happen if you want to avoid it, the loss of a bit of fight skill and possible affinity is not game breaking.

But where's the fun in that, and why would you go to Chaos to play pve style in safety of your deed, or avoid combat if you're on pvp server, you can do that on freedom... And does realy people that are building and crafting backbone of kingdom get drake and scale sets like fighters do? Most of the arguments in such disccusions comes from 90+ fs fighters and not builders and crafters how much i could have noticed, might be wrong.

For me what drives me away from pvp is zero chance to be competitive on my own wihtout being forced to be part of the group to have chance to do something. Sure, working together can be great but i don't want and don't have time to dedicate myself on that level, i just want to have some casual fun not real world warfare immersion from pvp. Not saying that's not fun in own way but having that as only option to pvp is bad imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gorgian said:

Yep i agree it's not one thing. But, i do think people do know what a community is. which brings me back to one of my other post. LIF. The play style is very much a community thing. but i sure can find a heck of a lot more then 20 people there. 

LiF is a different game. The issue is that what LiF offers doesnt necesarily attract Wurm players. For example, I like slow paced combat. I like walking up to my opponent, pacing them, bashing them, aiming high or low, turning my shield to block them... Etc. But for what I have seen on LiF, its more fast paced. I can't do twitchy. Drives me nuts.

Its a matter of preference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kochinac said:

I care about loosing any skilll.... When you grind your account from the start for years, acount that is not my ingame character but infact me myself,  every single 0.001 skill is precious for me and don't want to lose it, but that's mybe just me. And how many horses i need to kill to get in stage of 95+ skill where all of people advocating how it's not hard to regain skill by killing players are now so i can do the same?

But where's the fun in that, and why would you go to Chaos to play pve style in safety of your deed, or avoid combat if you're on pvp server, you can do that on freedom... And does realy people that are building and crafting backbone of kingdom get drake and scale sets like fighters do? Most of the arguments in such disccusions comes from 90+ fs fighters and not builders and crafters how much i could have noticed, might be wrong.

For me what drives me away from pvp is zero chance to be competitive on my own wihtout being forced to be part of the group to have chance to do something. Sure, working together can be great but i don't want and don't have time to dedicate myself on that level, i just want to have some casual fun not real world warfare immersion from pvp. Not saying that's not fun in own way but having that as only option to pvp is bad imo.

Yes. Crafters get geared up just like anyone else. Look at Punish. He wears drake. Do you think its a personal set? Hah. He would had sold it long ago.

There are other benefits. Stuff like free tools, free enchants, a place to live, a community, free imps, etc. Its not better or worse than freedom. Its simply different. You help the pmk and in turn the pmk helps you.

As for skill loss, yes you loose .25 fight skill and .01 body str every time you die, plus an affinity. Thats it. Fight skill is super easy to regain. I have seen skill ticks of .19 or higher from a single kill at 94 FS. Thats monstrous. Killing players is the best way to grind FS after 70 and its intended so you can quickly recover from death. And the .01 body str? Grab a shovel and you'll be back to your old stat in no time. You do get a x3 on your body stat loss.

Yes, you loose skill and yes you loose items. But with your pmk replacing your losses and the quick skill gain its insignificant. What you take with you is the sense of teamwork and camaderie Chaos brings to you. Nothing beats logging on to chop your priest veggies and finding out Wulfgar chopped them all because he wanted to do his personal goals, or checking your mail and seeing your new glimmersteel huge axe is there waiting for you, and you did not pay a dime for it.

pvp happens when you create incentives as groups to do so, taking down TC, pushing back lost land or taking land yourself and pushing other groups out.

We just made epic go from 3 population to over 30 because we decided on the fly to go raid a deed an hour ago

92f5813cf96b5e95b519f9d480ef0dab.png
https://gyazo.com/92f5813cf96b5e95b519f9d480ef0dab

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

There are other benefits. Stuff like free tools, free enchants, a place to live, a community, free imps, etc. Its not better or worse than freedom. Its simply different. You help the pmk and in turn the pmk helps you.

Woah!!! free tools and imps!! wait impalong... OOO place to live and community!!! wait... I could just do /tell @Qwizat HEY. Well at least theres free enchants to look forward to, and some towns actually offer that. Besides, if you are giving to your kingdom to get this stuff, then it is equivalent to working on somebody's deed and getting rewarded. We have that stuff on PvE. We don't need to go into PvP just so you can "skillfully murder us in the art of wurm pvp" while we enjoy pve aspects.

44 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

As for skill loss, yes you loose .25 fight skill and .01 body str every time you die, plus an affinity. Thats it. Fight skill is super easy to regain. I have seen skill ticks of .19 or higher from a single kill at 94 FS. Thats monstrous. Killing players is the best way to grind FS after 70 and its intended so you can quickly recover from death. And the .01 body str? Grab a shovel and you'll be back to your old stat in no time. You do get a x3 on your body stat loss.

So after we lose some of the fighting skill, we should simply go back into a fight again to get the skill back? We just don't want to fight dude... 

46 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

What you take with you is the sense of teamwork and camaderie Chaos brings to you. Nothing beats logging on to chop your priest veggies and finding out Wulfgar chopped them all because he wanted to do his personal goals, or checking your mail and seeing your new glimmersteel huge axe is there waiting for you, and you did not pay a dime for it.

PvE involves teamwork already. I can log on and see Pumpernickel filled the larders with oversized breakfasts with 500+ difficulty and have a laugh. If all I have to look forward to in PvP is free gear and fighting other players then count me out. PvE already satisfies us, and the little annoying things in life would be enhanced by players. Pretty sure most newbies have experienced running away from hell hounds. Can imagine it being a lot more annoying if, instead of a hell hound, it was a player on a 5spd hell horse with a bow to demount me and kill me.

You are playing a game that heavily favors the life of PvE. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

Woah!!! free tools and imps!! wait impalong... OOO place to live and community!!! wait... I could just do /tell @Qwizat HEY. Well at least theres free enchants to look forward to, and some towns actually offer that. Besides, if you are giving to your kingdom to get this stuff, then it is equivalent to working on somebody's deed and getting rewarded. We have that stuff on PvE. We don't need to go into PvP just so you can "skillfully murder us in the art of wurm pvp" while we enjoy pve aspects.

So after we lose some of the fighting skill, we should simply go back into a fight again to get the skill back? We just don't want to fight dude... 

PvE involves teamwork already. I can log on and see Pumpernickel filled the larders with oversized breakfasts with 500+ difficulty and have a laugh. If all I have to look forward to in PvP is free gear and fighting other players then count me out. PvE already satisfies us, and the little annoying things in life would be enhanced by players. Pretty sure most newbies have experienced running away from hell hounds. Can imagine it being a lot more annoying if, instead of a hell hound, it was a player on a 5spd hell horse with a bow to demount me and kill me.

You are playing a game that heavily favors the life of PvE. 

I went and rechecked my post but I do not see anywhere where I said you had to go to Chaos so I dont know where are you getting the idea that you are being told to do anything at all. A question was posted and it was answered. 

Every person plays the game however they want. Its a sandbox. You seem to personally have something against pvp. Thats fine. Dont indulge in it. But also dont get salty when people talk about it or invite others to join. And if you dont like the topic, you dont have to read it.

I would love to see fresh faces on Chaos, but under no circumstances I would like to see someone who doesnt want to be there. Those who admit the playstyle is not for them have my respect, as they recognize it early and go do what they prefer. But many skeptical people have come from Freedom in my time, tried it, loved it, and stayed. Those are the ones who I speak for. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

LiF is a different game. The issue is that what LiF offers doesnt necesarily attract Wurm players. For example, I like slow paced combat. I like walking up to my opponent, pacing them, bashing them, aiming high or low, turning my shield to block them... Etc. But for what I have seen on LiF, its more fast paced. I can't do twitchy. Drives me nuts.

Its a matter of preference.

Yep its preference, but you have to agree the low pop isn't health. And when you compare a product in the same market field that's doing better. Its hard to ignore.

10 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Every person plays the game however they want. Its a sandbox. You seem to personally have something against pvp. Thats fine. Dont indulge in it. But also dont get salty when people talk about it or invite others to join. And if you dont like the topic, you dont have to read it.

*Trump voice* WRONG!! Heres a little about me. I love pvp :D:D:D Huge fan of the dark souls series, would spend time invading people to fight or go in the arenas. Played mortal online and loved quite a bit of it, but Pumpernickel did not enjoy it so I settled to wurm with her. I have played brawllhalla up until diamond rank and I still log on to play. Playing against Npcs can be quite boring because of how easily they are telegraphed after a certain point, but people however are much more random, and even in small games there are hundreds to go against. The satisfaction of fighting a player and winning is amazing, and losing to a player while understanding why is great too. In wurm though, there simply is not enough satisfaction in combat. I am the type of gamer who would like to aim his bow at a target, swing my melee weapon in a direction, and dodge incoming attacks. The type that enjoys a game where you can be handycapped extremely, but still have a great chance at winning because of your knowledge in combat. Take a dark souls player who just defeated perhaps the first 5 bosses and one who has finished the the game up to new game +10 while reaching high ranks in pvp. If the noob was given a maxed level character with amazing gear that is simple to use, the amazing guy can still beat him naked with his fist. A pvp that is highly skill based, but only buffed up by equipment, is my preference. 

As a person that loves pvp, I bathe in my own salt, and the salt of my enemies and enjoy it! But the more I see these post, the more im getting an impression PvPers are sugar coating PvP to make people from PvE come over. Also, I like this topic, because it looks like an attempt to make american football fans interested in hockey.

13 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Comments like this make me think that you are trying to convince people to step on pvp. Stating things like "Oh PvP, most of it is actually what you are doing right now in PvE." 

11 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

But many skeptical people have come from Freedom in my time, tried it, loved it, and stayed. Those are the ones who I speak for. 

Where did they go.. or what do you consider many... Theres a difference between enjoying the game and enjoying the company of others. I wouldn't play many games without my gaming squad.

Spoiler

kRIr34j.png

• Like 2

I’ve seen the same posts in here 9 times now.. seems a bit recycled and not going anywhere. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kochinac said:

Some people might not want to be on the front lines and may get more enjoyment in the backline or a builder/crafter for the kingdom. Being on chaos there is a need for everything even the simple breeder if that's all someone cares to do. The Fun is not realized because for starters many people are afraid of the loss and also because they dont know any better and don't go over to begin with. 

A PvP game such as Wurm there is no real possibility to be it solo, its meant to be a group thing and that's not all bad... Just because the core of chaos is based on being part of a group that does not mean you always need a geoup to do everything. Solo players raid deeds sometimes or ruins.. Solo players win Hota at times or visit the volcano locations to gather Addy. The possibly of solo kills, although not high because of lower amount of traffic is still possible. The game of chaos is just as open as the game of freedom, the difference is where you stand on chaos... Why I find chaos fun is not only for the fact of our group but its more of the bases of what Ebo has been about as a group as a kingdom from its beginning... We have always attempted to stand our own and go up against the "man" be it just a thorn on its side or at times a bit more of a threat or even a neutral standpoint because of diplomatic "check" (check as in checkmate just without the mate). 

All I'm saying is this, I feel there are more excuses made vs attempts made... There are more opinions from people who only judge from the sidelines (not everyone) which I feel would be very different if people would just jump the hurdle. 

Lastly, good armor and weapons (providing the kingdom has it or gets it from loot) often times does in fact end up in even crafters hands... Loot does not only ever consist of good armor and weapons often times that's accompanied with rare tools and such so loot splits for Ebo for example first start out with who can use what and then full splitting happens accordingly. Even our weakest walk away with moonmetal and drake (something that other kingdoms dislike about our loot splits is we don't often straight up hand a full suit to anyone we often look to see how we can split it and thank everyone for being there and participating to make the kingdom stronger and more active). 

Ahaha another classic maurizio post with the bonus NaCl of having his kingdom members solo slaughtered by johnny. 

Being on chaos there is a need for everything even the simple breeder if that's all someone cares to do.

Which I see as part of the problem.  Why "simple" breeder?  It makes it sound like a pilot saying a "simple" mechanic.  It gives the sense that the frontline warrior is more important than those supporting in the background which is not a feeling anyone is terribly excited to join up for.

Get an alt for the simple menial work.  Or suggest ai bots.  Don't imagine anyone wants to dedicate a human brain to your background needs.

Not saying you actually feel superior, I don't know you, but there is often that feeling in mmo pvp games, and it isn't at all fun for the second class.  No thanks.

A PvP game such as Wurm there is no real possibility to be it solo, its meant to be a group thing and that's not all bad... Just because the core of chaos is based on being part of a group that does not mean you always need a geoup to do everything. Solo players raid deeds sometimes or ruins..

I suspect the doofus that waits to raid people while they're offline is likely solo.  It's really annoying.  No thanks.

The other thing that @kochinactouched upon regarding group play in a pvp environment is expectations on availability and time dedicated.  Much like being part of a raiding guild in WoW, people are busy and can't always commit to in-game responsibilities.

In fact, the very notion of player-imposed responsibilities in a game is pretty much no thanks.  It's a game.

All I'm saying is this, I feel there are more excuses made vs attempts made...

No.

Not a single person ever needs to make an excuse.  We indulge your requests for our company by offering you reasons we don't feel like it.  You could let it go, and try to find other like-minded people rather than constantly trying to convince the same demographic who does not want to, but instead, you keep saying people are "afraid" and whatever.

I made attempts because I really enjoy playing with my brother and that's where he wanted to play.  I didn't enjoy it.  I don't need an excuse, nobody does.  He simply acknowledged it's not for me and moved on.

Everyone should.  Move on.

Not gonna happen.  PvE players aren't going to want to work for you in the background.  Not going to change.  You could even remove all PvE servers thinking "well now they MUST join us!" and no... now we pack our bags and leave entirely.

PvE players don't want to PvP.

End of story.  Das ist it.  Punt on dze line.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

You could let it go, and try to find other like-minded people rather than constantly trying to convince the same demographic

Exactly, it's a simple numbers game in the end we can keep changing Wurm to make PvP attractive to the 10 people who havn't tried it yet OR we can improve Wurm PvP to better attract the million plus other players out there to might take a risk on Wurm.

There have been some very eloquent people describing what is good about Wurm PvP for them, and i understand and applaud their passion for it, so why not use the passion and eloquence to attract players entirely new to Wurm.

And lets stop trying to make PvP seem more attractive to existing Wurmians and make PvP more appealing to capture a NEW generation of Wurmians.

Edited by Ratlin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Reylaark said:

*snip*

End of story.  Das ist it.  Punt on dze line.

Amen.