Sign in to follow this  
Malcore

Why nobody pvps in wurm.

I don't understand why do people insist on luring other people to play their side of the conflict? You like PvP, go play PvP, you don't like it, go play Freedom. Why do people feel the need to request changes to "lure" more people to either of the sides is beyond me. I like PvE, my foot never stepped on Chaos and never will, even though it will stop me from completing my "become a demigod". I have ZERO interest in PvP In pretty much any game, it just baffles me why people request "something worth playing on PvP servers to lure more players in".

If it's not my tune, I won't play it. You like it and I'm fine with that, over the years, how many posts were created and responded to in such numbers about "we need more incentive to lure those PvPers to Freedom because *list of reasons goes here*. You like the thrill of raids, you like waking up to your deed being levelled down to the last stone standing, you have a playfield to do that. I don't see the appeal but I understand how some people enjoy it. Don't request the game to be re-written because of what effectively is your opinion. Numbers and stats just support the fact that it's an opinion of minority.

I see other people supporting that idea in replies and this could indicate that more players are "all for" such changes but the fact is; it works like any other community, those who want change, even if they are in minority, will try to voice their opinion. Those who don't want it just look at it and think "alright, it's a total of 6 of them, move on" and since most of us are conformists, don't bother commenting.

Unless there is an in game poll, highlighted to users who don't have forum accounts, this seems like yet again "I'm upset, write more pointless code for me".

If people were interested in PvP, they would play PvP, fancy items with all the bells and whistles will just make more people go and look for ways to find loopholes to get the item and return to the place where they can't lose it. How many HoTA statues are displayed on Chaos? It's PvP obtainable only, yet, I can only guess that not a whole lot, because they are not safe there, because they have no combat value, because there is money from PvE players in them. Before rifts and subsequent moonmetal influx, even before unique mob respawns, all you need on Freedom is a decent studded set, worst thing you could see is a champ troll, maybe a sea serpent back when they were spawning. There is no real reason to have them on Freedom (moonmetal or drake/scale), it's just a fashion or vanity item. It does boost the market a little bit though, money circulates, it hits a sink like my place, it's withdrawn from the circulation, game makes some money, everyone is happy. Take away the moonmetals and such - still nobody dies on Freedom with semi-decent skills because studded sets are dirt cheap but the money doesn't flow.

Apology for grammar errors, English is not my first (or second) language.

• Like 5

the time is long gone my friendos

the wae has been lost

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Oreo said:

the time is long gone my friendos

the wae has been lost

This is true..

• Like 1

On 11/01/2018 at 5:13 AM, Wulfgarr said:

Even the very decent pvp accounts with SoTG and needed skills can be bought for 200-300€

I don't think a lot of people are interested in spending a few hundred dollars to get a pvp account with the appropriate meditation skills. 200-300€ can get a person plenty of interesting pvp games. I also don't think the idea of waiting months to have the appropriate meditation skill to be a good fighter is fun as well.

• Like 3

PVP in Wurm is simply not fun, because you stand there and look at eachother with toons that costs the same as 10 games on steam. Thats why "nobody pvps in Wurm" (a rather generalizing topic name).

• Like 1

Combat simply isn't interesting in Wurm, so it's no wonder PvP isn't doing well when there are a ton of games out there with more interesting (team based) combat. Then add to it that Wurm has a ton of barriers to entry for PvP (skills that need grinding, equipment needs, etc) and it's no wonder PvP is doing as badly as it is. It simply hasn't kept up with the times.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

PVP in Wurm is simply not fun, because you stand there and look at eachother with toons that costs the same as 10 games on steam. Thats why "nobody pvps in Wurm" (a rather generalizing topic name).

Spoken like someone who's never PvP'd in Wurm. Do you honestly believe in PvP both sides of the fight simply run in and stand there looking at each other?

To quote Inventor in this very thread:

On 1/10/2018 at 8:00 PM, Inventor said:

• Like 1

I like the combat in Wurm, because it's low on twitch requirements (and thus lag resistant). I would likely have already checked out LiF if it had something other than twitch-based combat...

I haven't been in much PvP combat in Wurm, but when it happens, it's an adrenaline spike. :) Conversely, World of Tanks is all PvP, all the time, but only rarely do I feel the intensity there I've felt here.

Nobody PVPs in Wurm because Wurm does not have this kind of PVP:  LIF MMO Largest PVP battle ever

Notice there are actually horses still alive during the battle - something totally realistic.

Horses in Wurm should be 10x stronger against attack than they are.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

Spoken like someone who's never PvP'd in Wurm. Do you honestly believe in PvP both sides of the fight simply run in and stand there looking at each other?

To quote Inventor in this very thread:

Until just recently you just stood there and looked at the water while drinking it. So yes, i do believe that is whats happening in the rest of Wurm also (and micro-managing inventory like you do elsewhere in Wurm). PVP is not why i play this game, i found that out by watching youtube videos about it years ago.  

15 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

Nobody PVPs in Wurm because Wurm does not have this kind of PVP:  LIF MMO Largest PVP battle ever

Pretty thankful Wurm's not like that that to be honest.

It appears he spent the majority of his time running around in circles, and was unable to effectively attack due to clumsy mechanics and lag.

1 minute ago, Nordlys said:

Until just recently you just stood there and looked at the water while drinking it. So yes, i do believe that is whats happening in the rest of Wurm also (and micro-managing inventory like you do elsewhere in Wurm). PVP is not why i play this game, i found that out by watching youtube videos about it years ago.  

Plenty of videos in the Youtube channels that Inventor linked to that shows otherwise.

wurm pvp in some peoples minds is apparently everyone just runs into a circle and stands there mashing the spacebar frothing to see who dies first and trying to steal their things and you can't convince them otherwise and it's pretty obvious by the 500000 times this has been disputed

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eyesgood said:

Notice there are actually horses still alive during the battle - something totally realistic.

Horses in Wurm should be 10x stronger against attack than they are.

While agreeing to the suggestion to make horses stronger (not faster)  I play LIF MMO and its horrible - lag, bad combat mechanics, and they are releasing it on steam next week lel. This is why I have come back to Wurm... BECAUSE it doesnt have LIF type combat

• Like 3

Combat could do with more animations so people don't stand around looking at each other.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Niki said:

Combat could do with more animations so people don't stand around looking at each other.

I'm guessing you've never sparred anyone on freedom, and never watched pvp videos?  There is a ton of animations... swinging, evading, blocking, shield bashing, stunned, focusing.. not much else to animate

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Niki said:

+1 to better standing around animations.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BrokenSanity said:

Plenty of videos in the Youtube channels that Inventor linked to that shows otherwise.

Seen plenty of videos, the pvp is extremely lack luster. I must be missing something because all i see is "Kill the horse! Get behind him! Be 2 tiles ahead of the direction hes moving because of Wurm lag!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

Who doesnt appreciate a "stare" animation?

TallSecretGavial-size_restricted.gif

Edited by bdew
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I'm guessing you've never sparred anyone on freedom, and never watched pvp videos?  There is a ton of animations... swinging, evading, blocking, shield bashing, stunned, focusing.. not much else to animate

There really isn't though Gary. Could be a ton better, aiming for the head it's literally one set animation always. 

Dying animations would be entertaining as well.

Wkjo1.gif

Edited by Niki
  • Like 3

I don't PvP on Wurm, but I do find it amusing that people are saying PvP is about teamwork/team-play.

Yeah, because people who want to kill each-other go out of their way to work and play well with others! There isn't any backstabbing ever. Nobody randomly steals anything 'just because I can'. /sarcasm

To those saying you 'can't steal stuff on PvE', you've apparently not played PvE much, there is much worse stealing/thieving going on in supposedly 'protected' (By coding even) PVE servers, and there's even less recourse for people here when it happens. (If you've been around awhile, you've probably seen a few cases where they ruled in favor of a thief more times than should ever have happened.). I'm guessing you people associate stealing/thieving with a specific in-game mechanic, and not the real life definition when you make these types of comments...

You're not going to succeed in 'luring'/'baiting'/'bait-and-switch'/'coercing' PvE players into playing PvP if they don't want to, because they simply choose not to, and that's their choice. It's not yours to make.

I personally choose not to due to RL rage issues because I'm trying to lead a more 'zen' lifestyle nowadays. If the creators/devs ever 'flipped the switch' and made the PvE side PvP (Again)...I'd simply leave and never return.

I got to witness plenty of unique drama over the 4 years I've played too. The 'best' part (I say this mockingly) was when the flotilla of Chaos people sailed clear across Xanadu (No choose server sail option at the time..) right after they hooked up the servers and killed one of the last remaining original uniques on Pristine. There was drama galore revolving around it because apparently our server folks showed up to take it on while they were mid-fight, and someone thought to cast a priest heal on the unique and it worked (They actually did a 'fix' so nobody could ever do it again...and ruled in favor of them/gave them the goods) and nearly wiped them out. That's PvP, according to my definition...which isn't even allowed on this game...especially when the staff 'get a say' in who gets goods and services. Yeah, sure, it's great when the staff actually play a game and care about it, but it's less fun when there's corruption involved, or someone 'in a position of power' abuses it. (I'm not pointing any fingers, just commenting on my personal observations regarding games...no need to remove another of my posts for commenting!)

When I first saw that Rolf and other staff members actually played, and specifically played PvP, I couldn't help but wonder if they didn't use some kind of powers and you'd never know...you'd always wonder. That alone means I'd never touch PvP. I've heard about it happening in other situations. Power corrupts, absolutely. Who's to say it never happens? What's worse, is they then put in rules stating you couldn't even comment on things of the nature. That just makes me think it happened a few too many times and they wanted to silence any opposition to it...

So yeah, I wouldn't touch this game's PvP with a 10 foot pole. Even if I wanted to enjoy losing all my gear or any of the other silliness like Token Draining of RL money or other rather badly thought out ideas they've rolled out over on those servers...

To know there's some 'top end' accounts just roaming around trouncing people on top of all of that? No thanks...

• Like 4

On 1/12/2018 at 3:20 PM, MrGARY said:

You forget casting priest spells, casting sorcery spells, getting knocked on your butt, aim high, aim low, archery, catapult animations, falling when dying, picking up (loot) and more. I dont think many games out there have much more in the way of animations. Heck, in an FPS you have shooting, running and dying. And most fantasy mmo's dont even have half that much.

Edited by Angelklaine

Don't forget kneeling down to drink, may be the only thing to look forward to during long grinding sessions in my cave.

• Like 2