Sign in to follow this  
Wimblonian

No Affinity Farming?

So does this include all the players who sit there and kill alts to get Bloodthirst Enchant increases as well? Or nah we'll just leave them cheaters as well?

22 hours ago, Enki said:

If it is not genuine PVP activity then do not expect us to look on it very fondly.

As I said above, anyone working these kinds of ‘meta-PVP’ schemes for fightskill and affinity farming will be immediately banned from Wurm Online.

I would include slayings for BT to be the same, as well as silly, since creatures now give it too

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I would include slayings for BT to be the same, as well as silly, since creatures now give it too

Not 100% if you have to be enemy for BT. Creatures have always gave it, but supposedly players give more.

another window of opportunity closed, after how maaaany years 

• Like 4

And those who got the skill and affinities using this method already, will just sit comfortably telling everyone else they should have done this while it was still tolerated. or will they lose said affins and it be set back to zero for everyone now?

• Like 2

7b5d216d0065001dc505ddc17f7cb70b.png

Pretty sure nothing will be done. You can't really penalize someone for using a game mechanic that has always been thought as okay. Past practices have been to draw a line and anything going forward from there is not allowed. 

As much as I would like to see them punished, I disagree with rollbacks on them since they actually paid prem on those chars to get the affinities. Technically they did nothing wrong by the rules, and if you asked a CA about a week ago, they would had told you that it was fine to take affinities from your alts. I would be particularily salty if a CA told me it was okay,  I paid 20s on alts with that understanding, and then a GM showed up and took my affinities away. Its a precedent I would not like to be set, and a very poor way of conducting business.

The change is great. Its a move in the right direction. Lets us those who wanted the change pat each other in the back and just move on. Its a good thing that it was changed, but lets not go chasing ghosts that in the end will hurt the game more than help it.

• Like 2

I guess the issue is that this type of meta game mechanic is giving some people's chars added affinities and skills which will translate to real life money one day when these are sold.

• Like 1

don't you heal the alt to prevent a death/death tab?

Edited by Mclavin

2 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

don't you heal the alt to prevent a death/death tab?

more points by killing :) Could even do on freedom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

Pretty sure nothing will be done. You can't really penalize someone for using a game mechanic that has always been thought as okay. Past practices have been to draw a line and anything going forward from there is not allowed. 

With the release of Epic many moons ago, Rolf started heavily nerfing people's skills if he felt they had been gained too easily/unfairly.

I'm guessing that's not policy anymore.

Edited by BrokenSanity

From the WSA

Until those changes are enacted we will be watching for anyone orchestrating ‘meta-PVP’ slayings for fight skill and affinity farming.  Anyone found to be doing this vile ‘meta-PVP’ activity shall be banned!

So this includes affinity selling right? like a random freedomer wanting to get rid of body control affinity?

1 hour ago, Fairyshine said:

I guess the issue is that this type of meta game mechanic is giving some people's chars added affinities and skills which will translate to real life money one day when these are sold.

Unlikely, since the new mechanic will be pve friendly, meaning people who didnt resort to abusing this mechanic will also have affinities in skills 

The thing I find funny is that all this could have been dealt with by the pvp community themselves. And now we pve'ers get an added benefit , maybe. So a big ole Thank you for the changes. 

Too soon to talking about people Farming likes on forums using Alts ?

No one would ever do that right ? lol

Edited by Sunnyside

You put a boat of 5 alts at any border on chaos at any time, slay them then leave. Eastcoast you can leave even if i get you in local, so there really was nothing the pvp community could do. And it was the pvp community that suggested to give PVE a way to gain affinities through their favored playstyle, but to keep the pvp side how it's meant to be with sanctions on those who try to exploit that.

• Like 1

Ok fair enough , said player has a kingdom. All of chaos rage forums to wipe said kingdom ?   You farm alts You can't stay and play on Chaos ? Seems like a good way to bring pvp'ers together to fight for something. Rid Chaos of the farmers...

But guess that would mean going to Chaos and pvp. Checking Wild over the last 3-4 weeks and only a few times have I ever seen more than 25 people online. Just seems like a place a few people farm items to sell on freedom more than a pvp , kingdom building battle over  land resources. Just seems like a miss opportunity to have a war or something. 

Edited by Sunnyside

I'm sensing a 'Can I speak to your Manager' haircut vibe from the Cow......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oreo said:

I'm sensing a 'Can I speak to your Manager' haircut vibe from the Cow......

@Mclavin

11 hours ago, Sunnyside said:

Ok fair enough , said player has a kingdom. All of chaos rage forums to wipe said kingdom ?   You farm alts You can't stay and play on Chaos ? Seems like a good way to bring pvp'ers together to fight for something. Rid Chaos of the farmers...

But guess that would mean going to Chaos and pvp. Checking Wild over the last 3-4 weeks and only a few times have I ever seen more than 25 people online. Just seems like a place a few people farm items to sell on freedom more than a pvp , kingdom building battle over  land resources. Just seems like a miss opportunity to have a war or something. 

Yes, because the only people who farm affinities are Chaos players.

On 10.1.2018. at 0:12 PM, Retrograde said:

Unlikely, since the new mechanic will be pve friendly, meaning people who didnt resort to abusing this mechanic will also have affinities in skills 

Well that dependeds on how high chances to get affinity will be in new system... I hope it will be something balanced in beetween crazy to often so everyone has ton of affinities after a year and crazy low like chance of making fantastic item

• Like 1

How does the new system stop people from farming their alts though? How can any death be determined legit or not? Lets take this for an example... Like mclovin said 5 people on a boat on east boarder... Lets say a deal is made on freedom side and you take a few toons over as a seller on a boat "exploring" and some player comes along "exploring" and kills said player.   

Now I can see that IMO some of these changes to the new system actually remove pure beneficial part of guaranteed affinity and now actually risks more loss then reward. But I would Like to know is that the only part of the new system geared towards stopping people killing an alt? How is a dont kill your own alt rule going to be feasibly enforced in an open PvP sandbox server? I am asking seriously because this new system won't stop sales of affinities (knowing that you are guaranteed at least the 1st affinity) and further more warm for a long time was a game that you didnt need to do anything behind the scenes like use playerauctions to sell items or accounts to hide it from game devs... All that will happen with a Rule in place if it remains in place after the new system is out of No killing your own alt is affinity sales will end up in a black market just like many other games have.   Look at Eve for example they are strict with stuff like account sales and currency but it doesn't stop all.

5 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

How does the new system stop people from farming their alts though? How can any death be determined legit or not? Lets take this for an example... Like mclovin said 5 people on a boat on east boarder... Lets say a deal is made on freedom side and you take a few toons over as a seller on a boat "exploring" and some player comes along "exploring" and kills said player.   

Now I can see that IMO some of these changes to the new system actually remove pure beneficial part of guaranteed affinity and now actually risks more loss then reward. But I would Like to know is that the only part of the new system geared towards stopping people killing an alt? How is a dont kill your own alt rule going to be feasibly enforced in an open PvP sandbox server? I am asking seriously because this new system won't stop sales of affinities (knowing that you are guaranteed at least the 1st affinity) and further more warm for a long time was a game that you didnt need to do anything behind the scenes like use playerauctions to sell items or accounts to hide it from game devs... All that will happen with a Rule in place if it remains in place after the new system is out of No killing your own alt is affinity sales will end up in a black market just like many other games have.   Look at Eve for example they are strict with stuff like account sales and currency but it doesn't stop all.

Then Mclovin gets banned... Again.

I don't PvP but from an outsider' s perspective...

A law doesn't have to be 100% enforceable to be considered effective. After all, we still have robberies and murders every day. No one is going to say we have to decriminalize murder because people kill each other regardless of the law.

If it reduces the amount of affinity farming then I'm all for it. If it means people go from 20 affinities a month to 2 or 3, then that's a step in the right direction. Just have a strict enforcement of the rules so the more underhanded exploiters are punished and it'll be fine.

I don't think many people are going to risk their 1500+ euro accounts on a few affinities.

Edited by Hailene

[10:24:54] <Shydow> (Xan) WTS affinities on demand, Herb Dumplings, 3.71 kg, 90+ QL, 3 hours per bite!

10 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

[10:24:54] <Shydow> (Xan) WTS affinities on demand, Herb Dumplings, 3.71 kg, 90+ QL, 3 hours per bite!

You do realize that Shydow is widely known for selling affinity food, right?

• Like 1