Sign in to follow this  
Budzilla

Catseyes/Waystones in center of tiles

As per the title, it would be great if we could place waystones and catseyes in the center of a tile, rather than only the corners. I'm not sure if there is some sort of limitation that makes it so they will only work on corners, but many of us use 3 tile wide roads and i'm sure I speak for many when I say it's extremely annoying having to place them off center.

• Like 3

I agree with this, as I'm sure many Wurmians have OCD with keeping things symmetrical, at least I always feel the need to keep things in that manner... 

+1 from me if it's do-able and that there isn't a coding limitation

They have the code to move too center maybe we can have that option on them after they are planted.. idk

i saw some making it one cateye to the right, one to the left, one to the right, one to the left...you get the idea... just so they dont have a all on same side line.

6 hours ago, Ekib said:

i saw some making it one cateye to the right, one to the left, one to the right, one to the left...you get the idea... just so they dont have a all on same side line.

Which is terrible for wagoners and strongly discouraged. The protection area extends 2 tiles into NW(?) so keeping it on one side more effectively protects all the tiles on 3 tile wide highways anyway, as ugly as it is.

+1 to the original OP though with the same caveats. If it can be done, by all means, it should.

I'm kinda guilty of the twin cats eyes on 3 wide roads, but i didn't zig zag it. it'd be too hard to explain how i did it. 
Symmetry, balance, i don't enjoy seeing a line of cats eyes that lean to one side. it's not OCD, it's in the ballpark, surely but, there is beauty in balance, grace too.  
I'm in a country that uses cats eyes on the roads, they lie in the centre(s). 
I've gone off 3 wide highways since cats eyes were introduced, better to make a 2 wide with sand/moss banks making it 4 wide.

+1

Edited by Steveleeb

Something I have ran into is on a 2 tile wide highway if you are cleaning up abandoned paving you are left with 3rd tiles of pavement that have protection from the eyes. Kind of a pain deciding if you want to spend the time pulling those up just to clean a tile. So +1

While I like the idea and applaud your intent, there is an inherent flaw, because by making them in the center of a tile, any 2-lane highway would then be off center. My suggestion would be to have the option to place either on a center tile or on a tile border, depending on what road type is being built. You could also go a step further to say that the placement of the cateyes will determine if 2 or 3 tiles will be protected.

• Like 2

I don't think Bud was asking for the corner option to be removed, but as you say only to have the center option added ontop of that.

On 9.1.2018 at 8:58 PM, Budzilla said:

it would be great if we could place waystones and catseyes in the center of a tile, rather than only the corners.

If 'only' were missing here, I'd agree with your interpretation. Perhaps an 'also' in the first sentence would have made it clearer.

Edit: Removing the weird off-center 3 tile protection that is pretty much just a hack for corner catseyes on wider highways should definitely come with this addition, though.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, koroth said:

While I like the idea and applaud your intent, there is an inherent flaw, because by making them in the center of a tile, any 2-lane highway would then be off center. My suggestion would be to have the option to place either on a center tile or on a tile border, depending on what road type is being built. You could also go a step further to say that the placement of the cateyes will determine if 2 or 3 tiles will be protected.

As Flubb has mentioned I didn't word it as well as I could have. I am asking for the option to allow us to plant them in both the center and corner of tiles.