Sign in to follow this  
sleepys

Cheating or not?

1 hour ago, shankiest said:

EDIT: asking for a way get hota statues on pve server as well.

Archaeology statues basically.

LOL at this Thread , if Wild had as much action as the forums . Tabs would be blowing up all night  / day :P   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Well, that's rather the point. :) In your case, you'd take advantage of goods provided by PvPers to do your thing on PvE so you wouldn't have to deal with PvP.

-snip-

I am unaware of any goods that I have bought or sold that have come from/gone to chaos.  Furthermore, if certain lines of progression I was interested in were closed off by PvP I would likely quit - especially those who have been dedicated to PvP have been able to essentially 'buy' affinities (not saying its right or wrong, just stating what's been going on since 2006)

It seems to be a common theme that players who enjoy PvP keep trying to drag people who just want to play the PvE side of things into PvP situations - likely because they see them as easy prey (see the wolf/sheep analogy posted during the UO timeline).  

If I want to play in a PvP environment, I don't look to MMOs which have inherently flawed systems but rather to FPSes which are generally more balanced/skill based.  As far as the MMO genre is concerned, I very strongly believe (based on observations and experience) that PvP should be voluntary and that PvP and PvE should be kept separated.

Edited by Demonix

1 hour ago, Yiraia said:

Thats a heavily invalid statement. If you check the first page I made a post of a solution to "clean" the issue. Throwing around false statements is rather... sad to look at.

Yes but just as mclovin said you cherry picked the word everyone, when you read rest sentence it targeted people complaining/arguing its been for years so should be left alone.

Neither of those were even in your post.

You provided your input and tried make a solution.

Its also easier make blanket statements than say majority cause then people will convince themselves they are in the minority that is right right and not reply with solutions and continue complain.

EDIT: I also could have phrased my statement better.  I looked back at it and can see how it can be seen as everyone posting vs all the ones just complaining

Edited by shankiest

Just to clarify, the new system will include a pve friendly way for affinities to be gained, so pve players actually stand to benefit greatly from this, they won't need to go to chaos and kill someone (messy affair, my cloth jacket never got the stains out) 

The ban is in place until the update goes live, and is aimed at curbing the extreme abuse of the mechanic until then. 

We'll have some info in the next valrei international hopefully, with details on how it will work for both sides. 

As for arguing about who took advantage of what, when, where, and how, it's a bit of a silly discussion. Wurm is over 10 years old now (approaching 12 since gold 1 actually, with development starting around 15 years ago!) and there's been huge changes to how things have been skilled in the past, some things have been made easier, some things have been changed to be a little more balanced and not easily abuseable.

We're aware there are tons of things that have been windows of opportunity in the past, but it does not justify allowing anything and everything to be abused simply because others may have. it's always tough with something like this because it has been around for a long time, which is why our focus is on improving the way its done, we have no desire to start sifting through the annals of wurm history to find who did what when and ban people for actions considered okay back then, and it's a very clear reason as to why we're announcing the policy now, from this point forward the line is drawn. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Demonix said:

...PvP should be voluntary and that PvP and PvE should be kept separated.

Yes, I agree. The connection between Freedom and Chaos violates that, which is (as I recall) why someone suggested separating the two, which is why someone else pointed out the economic impact that would have on Freedom, which is why I pointed out the one-sided nature of that economy, which is why we're now having this discussion. :)

In short, if PvP is -supposed- to be a part of a PvE economy, then I'd want to see it be something more than a one-sided flow of goods to PvP and silver to PvE; to me, that just seems backwards.

I'm not stuck, however, on PvP and PvE being economically connected at all (which is one reason I'm still on Epic).

6 hours ago, Demonix said:

If I want to play in a PvP environment, I don't look to MMOs which have inherently flawed systems but rather to FPSes which are generally more balanced/skill based.  As far as the MMO genre is concerned, I very strongly believe (based on observations and experience) that PvP should be voluntary and that PvP and PvE should be kept separated.

4 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Yes, I agree. The connection between Freedom and Chaos violates that, which is (as I recall) why someone suggested separating the two, which is why someone else pointed out the economic impact that would have on Freedom, which is why I pointed out the one-sided nature of that economy, which is why we're now having this discussion. :)

In short, if PvP is -supposed- to be a part of a PvE economy, then I'd want to see it be something more than a one-sided flow of goods to PvP and silver to PvE; to me, that just seems backwards.

I'm not stuck, however, on PvP and PvE being economically connected at all (which is one reason I'm still on Epic).

I personally believe that thinking that PVP or PVE should be completely separate is pretty short sighted. I also believe that thinking that every single "freedomer" or PVEr is not interested at all in PVP is very shot sighted as well. A large amount of people on Chaos is composed of people who are also freedomers. If you look at the past kingdoms who have left Chaos, you'll see an incredible amount of people who, instead of quitting the game, they just moved to freedom. If they were not interested in the PVE aspects of the game at all, they would had quit instead.

There are no absolutes and that is why there is a connection between freedom and Chaos. People like to segregate the two groups like they are somehow alienated. As if Chaos players should not go to Freedom at all, and as if Freedom Players should never go to Chaos. PVPers can't kill people or steal on freedom, so what's the issue? Everytime I see people suggesting separating both groups makes me facepalm. There is nothing one group can do on any of the servers that the other group can't do themselves.

• Like 1

One world to rule them all...  Join the maps of Wurm into one singular globe and then all will be well.

Lol, just got back and seen the changes.

There goes my only reason to ever step into chaos again : D

Jokes aside, that's understandable, it didn't feel too right, in fact i only did it a few times to re-roll bad affinities.

Happy to see that you're thinking for an alternative way to gain affinities for pve-people, never liked to travel to chaos even if just for this, anyway.

Edited by Davih