Sign in to follow this  
Teggs

Server slowdowns coming?

A major issue has come to light recently inherent to Intel CPUs.  https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=1

In short, due to a design issue going back decades, all Intel CPUs have a critical security flaw in hardware.  This can be prevented in software, at the Operating System level, but it comes at a cost of around 30% performance in some tasks.  Fortunately for desktop/laptop users, those use-cases don't often apply.  Unfortunately, it does squarely apply to many server workloads, and Wurm of course is run from servers.

My questions are, do Wurm servers use Intel processors?  If so, can we expect a significant decrease in game server performance soon?

1. This issue is a huge mess, and I am in no way blaming Code Club for anything.

2.  Wurmians with Intel processors... sorry guys.  At least it doesn't seem to affect gaming much.

It's not a problem with just intel chips(amd, atom, android devices), from what I've read it's widely spread issue.

Pointless to worry .. as it is what it is.... just wait for the hotfix patches in the following weeks. :mellow: