Sign in to follow this  
DropDeadFred

Failure rates

I can't understand this. It seems that I have too high of failing rate when I improve items. I'm imping bows. I have a 99.98 carpentry, 99.45 bowery. My tools are all over 90 ql. and rare/w high coc cast (90+).Also I have a 86 skill on my carving knife and a 87 skill on my mallet. The bows were 86 to 88 ql. I went one whole stamina bar, and with the coc cast I'm able to do 9 acts, and I failed and damaged all 9 times in a row. Now this is just one example. It seems I have to take 5 steps back to go 6 steps forward. Just saying it don't add up to me.

Edited by DropDeadFred
forgot imfo

If it were me, I'd remove failure entirely and allow imp sizes to drop to 0 (i.e., at some point you can't imp at all unless you get better tools/more skill).

Failure seems a petty frustration in imping, since imping balance simply requires time. Imping a tool from X QL to Y QL with skill level A and tool QL B should take Z time, and you can implement Z time with larger imps and more failures, or smaller imps and fewer (or no) failures.

Based on my own experience grinding mining before and after the Epic update, I know I much prefer small, but steady gains over larger but more RNG-prone gains, even if the overall gain for time spent is exactly the same, (and that applies to imping gains as well as skill gains).

In short, failure feels like a punishment for playing the game, which isn't a good thing if you want more customers.

By the way, any reason tempering fails so much? Whenever I'm doing any imping involving tempering, I dread it, because it seems to fail far more than any other imp type. And since water is 100QL, that seems odd.

• Like 3

While I'm thinking about it, it would be cool if when you Examine an impable item, you get reports about imping viability, for example:

"You see a lot of areas to improve on."

"You have no idea where you would even begin to improve this item."

• Like 2

I have never seen them messages before.

You would think the higher your skill the easer it should be to make and improve a item. It seems the opposite, the better my skills get the more I fail. Also I haven't made a rare or better bow in over a year.(since I left chaos).  You need to succeed in order to get a chance in getting a rare, but with this fail rate... It should be skill that gets you a rare or better. Not chance. Skillful people always make better items then the lower skilled ones. You don't see a beginner making top of the line products by chance.

Wogic!

• Like 1

On 04/01/2018 at 10:32 PM, Roccandil said:

By the way, any reason tempering fails so much? Whenever I'm doing any imping involving tempering, I dread it, because it seems to fail far more than any other imp type. And since water is 100QL, that seems odd.

Tempering uses the item you're improving's enchants and a really simple skillcheck with no tool. 50% success when skill =QL and then adjusts higher or lower if that's not the case.

Edited by Nadroj
apparently i was totally wrong.

You cast a 66 difficulty spell with 78 channeling.

You succeed in enchanting an item [4]

Yup...  Sometimes even the successes are no good.

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

Tempering uses the item you're improving, including its QL and enchants, not the 100QL water itself. When tempering you're always imping with a tool the same QL as what is being tempered.

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

On 05/01/2018 at 3:04 AM, Roccandil said:

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

I was told off by a very grumpy man that i had this totally wrong, edited my post to reflect actual facts instead of something I was apparently misinformed about xD

11 hours ago, Nadroj said:

I was told off by a very grumpy man that i had this totally wrong, edited my post to reflect actual facts instead of something I was apparently misinformed about xD

OK. :P Thanks for the correction!

And no wonder tempering fails so much... :(