Sign in to follow this  
wolven

Unable to play Wurm Unlimited

When I join any one of the servers I've tried to launch my game off of, I'm met with an unloaded screen that shows the hud and just a vast ocean. Is there any way to fix this and get to playing?

1) Sometimes that means someone has failed to set their server spawn points correctly, though in that case usually you can see land off in the far distance,can swim around,  and and can still access character inventory. Just as a test does this also happen with servers like Sklotopolis and Otherlands? Both of those have very professional server people and have been running a server for along time, so if it happens there too we can gather it is possibly something on your end and start trouble shooting from there. I believe both also have a separate login/new character creation server which might reduce issues of trying to log into an extremely busy server.  

2) In case it is an issue of land simply not rendering regardless of the server, can you check for a file named client.log located in  \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\  and post it to someplace like https://pastebin.com/ or http://www.filedropper.com/ or any other freefile uploader, as that file  may tell us the specific  problem.

3) According to wurmpedia, logging in to only water can also indicate a router/connectivity  issue. 

You only see water during login, and cannot interact or move within the world

This is a symptom of connection issues. Restart any routers/modems and troubleshoot your connection to the server. 

4) Is what you do see, pretty similar to the images and problems reported here (older thread and WO not WU related, but possibly similar cause)

You might also test putting graphics at LOWEST possible settings (gear icon in upper right on launcher  --lower texture sizes AND set resolution to something like 800x600 windows resizeable ) and also giving the launcher a longtime to load, like 5 minutes,  to decide whether  the main issue is trouble loading a large amount of data.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

58 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

1) Sometimes that means someone has failed to set their server spawn points correctly, though in that case usually you can see land off in the far distance,can swim around,  and and can still access character inventory. Just as a test does this also happen with servers like Sklotopolis and Otherlands? Both of those have very professional server people and have been running a server for along time, so if it happens there too we can gather it is possibly something on your end and start trouble shooting from there. I believe both also have a separate login/new character creation server which might reduce issues of trying to log into an extremely busy server.  

2) In case it is an issue of land simply not rendering regardless of the server, can you check for a file named client.log located in  \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\  and post it to someplace like https://pastebin.com/ or http://www.filedropper.com/ or any other freefile uploader, as that file  may tell us the specific  problem.

3) According to wurmpedia, logging in to only water can also indicate a router/connectivity  issue. 

You only see water during login, and cannot interact or move within the world

This is a symptom of connection issues. Restart any routers/modems and troubleshoot your connection to the server. 

4) Is what you do see, pretty similar to the images and problems reported here (older thread and WO not WU related, but possibly similar cause)

You might also test putting graphics at LOWEST possible settings (gear icon in upper right on launcher  --lower texture sizes AND set resolution to something like 800x600 windows resizeable ) and also giving the launcher a longtime to load, like 5 minutes,  to decide whether  the main issue is trouble loading a large amount of data.

I get this issue when connecting to Skolotopois or whatever it's called. I put my client.jar there, http://www.filedropper.com/client_5   

My router is on the third story so that is likely, I'll give it a reset in a bit.

Eeeerm, it's working more now that I've tried a different server now I'm getting a large crash error... Jan 04, 2018 1:08:52 AM com.wurmonline.client.comm.ServerConnectionListenerClass addClothing
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 1
Jan 04, 2018 1:08:52 AM com.wurmonline.client.comm.ServerConnectionListenerClass addClothing
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 85
Jan 04, 2018 1:08:52 AM com.wurmonline.client.comm.ServerConnectionListenerClass addClothing
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 25
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 516
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 105
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 105
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 107
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 104
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 106
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 103
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 106
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 103
WARNING: Could not add clothing id : 108
Initializing font texture for SansSerif (24, bold). Texture Size: 256
No mapping found for hair0
Initializing font texture for Cry Uncial (64). Texture Size: 1024
Execution aborted at connection 1, iteration 652
Run time 16s, local time Thu Jan 04 01:09:05 PST 2018
Destroying game window
====== CLIENT CRASH ======
Unexpected crash while playing
java.nio.BufferUnderflowException
    at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.get(HeapByteBuffer.java:151)
    at com.wurmonline.client.comm.SimpleServerConnectionClass.readStringGivenLength(SimpleServerConnectionClass.java:5428)
    at com.wurmonline.client.comm.SimpleServerConnectionClass.readStringShortLength(SimpleServerConnectionClass.java:5448)
    at com.wurmonline.client.comm.SimpleServerConnectionClass.reallyHandleCmdUseItem(SimpleServerConnectionClass.java:4195)
    at com.wurmonline.client.comm.SimpleServerConnectionClass.reallyHandle(SimpleServerConnectionClass.java:2079)
    at com.wurmonline.communication.SocketConnection.tick(SocketConnection.java:615)
    at com.wurmonline.client.comm.SimpleServerConnectionClass.update(SimpleServerConnectionClass.java:272)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.serverUpdate(WurmClientBase.java:1562)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.preUpdate(WurmClientBase.java:354)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.runGameLoop(WurmClientBase.java:538)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.runConnectionLoop(WurmClientBase.java:321)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.runGame(WurmClientBase.java:301)
    at com.wurmonline.client.WurmClientBase.run(WurmClientBase.java:1624)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

actually I meant client.log not client.jar, though it was interesting because my own client.jar is 102 kilobytes and yours is 17 megabytes, Which actually is about the size of my modded client-patched.jar (for livemape etc). I also play on Sklotopolis, for whatever that's worth.

What I would suggest is to have Steam verify integrity of gamefiles  which might get you back into the game ok.  if the problems continues after having Steam verify files, and resetting the router does not help, you might try contacting Sklo, Engineer or Dominikk  on the sklo forums (or PM them, here in the WO forums). I do not know if the problem is with some clothingID issue or with the  "java.nio.BufferUnderflowException" line. I know Sklotopolis recently added some serverside clothing mod, though it doesn't seem to cause issues with other players there.  All that stuff is over my head.   

Confirm first you can get in after "verifying files" before repatching the mods launcher to get mods working again.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Seeing shallow water after logging in, and clicking anything giving "refreshing..." forever is 99% connectivity issues.

4 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

my own client.jar is 102 kilobytes and yours is 17 megabytes, Which actually is about the size of my modded client-patched.jar

That's how ago's "patcher" (which isn't really a patcher :P)  works... it renames client.jar to client-patched.jar, then makes a small client.jar with it's own code to load the mod and the real client.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 10:21 AM, bdew said:

Seeing shallow water after logging in, and clicking anything giving "refreshing..." forever is 99% connectivity issues.

this just started a few hours ago, anything i can do?

4 hours ago, Danark said:

this just started a few hours ago, anything i can do?

Can you test logging into other servers, perhaps choosing ones with low ping. It may be a connection issue with that one server.