Sign in to follow this  
mrbill

Debian dedicated server issues

Hello, new to the game. I was drawn to the ability to run your own server, I have a couple of large dediacted servers I was looking to put to use to run the linux version of the dedicated server. I have worked with linux for quite a while, im running Debian. I have not had to use anything java based before. I got the dedicated server installed, installed java, however the server does not appear to launch. Here is what shows up when i attempt to launch the server. It drops me back to the shell and exits.

@PE2850:/home/devin/SteamServer/wurm-dedicated# ./WurmServerLauncher
Starting
Logs found: 0
SteamAppId set.
/home/devin/SteamServer/wurm-dedicated
Runtime path: /home/devin/SteamServer/wurm-dedicated/runtime/jre1.8.0_121/lib/amd64/server/libjvm.so
Working Directory: /home/devin/SteamServer/wurm-dedicated
Number of options: 7
Create java VM!
Dec 31, 2017 4:47:44 PM com.wurmonline.server.gui.WurmServerGuiMain main
INFO: WurmServerGuiMain starting
root@PE2850:/home/devin/SteamServer/wurm-dedicated#

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.From the looks of it the game is quite flexible and would be a good use of the dedicated servers i have on hand, if i can manage to get the server software working. 

Do you have a gui environment set up on the server? When you just run WurmServerLauncher it will open a GUI launcher window (or fail if you don't).

You can start the server directly by passing start=<name> as a parameter but you do need to setup all the settings beforehand either by editing the DB or copying the world files from another computer.

Also read this - https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_(Wurm_Unlimited)

Might want to check out my how-to for hosting on Linux (the official docs are horrendous, which is why I wrote my own).