Sign in to follow this  
Penny7878

Similar games to wurm

Hello, 

I used to play Wurm Online with some family members who are dotted about the country. Since I have got an Mac Book Pro laptop and the game is not compatible with it. 

Are there any similar games with online play, building, strategy style of games that you could recommend. We don't like fighting/battle type games. We loved the chat feature in Wurm as well so we could all chat to each other. 

Thanks for your help

Uhm Wurm should be supported on Windows, Mac and Linux as far as i know since it runs on Java, how do you mean it's not compatible with your MacBookPro? 

• Like 1

There are a number of reports in the mac tech sub forum from people who can no longer run the game, going back months now,  , one was finally able to get this response from the WO facebook page:

Hi, We're investigating a few rare issues with macs, but have so far been unable to identify the causes, it's not happening to all macs, so it makes it hard to narrow down, but it's still being looked at.  There's a fair few threads on the issue, we're collecting information to find a common link, but yeah, totally get it's a pain. Thanks for that info, I'll be sure to pass it on to the dev team to check.

If you looking the mac section, there's a lot of threads there but I know zero about macs, just that not a single  case reported so far has figured out a solution.   

Hard enough to find games "like" Wurm (I too don't like fighting/battle focus games), harder to still to find ones you can play with friends and still also  MAC compatible. Some games that might have a few similar aspects (I will try to think up more):

Rising World has a few similarities, however it is still in early access so still missing things like horses, carts, boats, etc. It does have building, terraforming, mining, caves, farming, but not "skills".  It supports mac.  Like Wurm, it is a Java based game. It does not yet have the sheer amount of CONTENT that Wurm has (few games really do): 

https://www.rising-world.net/en/page/more/requirements.html

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324080/Rising_World/

Stardew Valley is supposedly getting multi player,is mac compatible, and has a few shared similarities (but MUCH different art style, closer to Harvest Moon)

Also, it is quite possible to play 7 days To Die with zombies and aggressive/hostile AI turned OFF, which makes it more wurm-like, but modern age. And it seems Mac compatible and possible to play multiplayer with family/friends only.  

I will try to think of some others, most that first come to mind are not Mac compatible.

EDITED TO ADD SOME OTHER GAMES   (Mac Compatible +good for family & friends to play together)

Planet Explorers  

Terasology 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I've had issues running WO on my Macs, but they all work more or less these days. Happy to help diagnose any issues you have.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 6:18 AM, Penny7878 said:

Hello, 

I used to play Wurm Online with some family members who are dotted about the country. Since I have got an Mac Book Pro laptop and the game is not compatible with it. 

Are there any similar games with online play, building, strategy style of games that you could recommend. We don't like fighting/battle type games. We loved the chat feature in Wurm as well so we could all chat to each other. 

Thanks for your help

Here you go. You can play it on a Mac. Really terrific game. http://www.atitd.com/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Niki said:

Haven & Hearth is very similar.

Except they specified they do not like "battle type games", and Haven & Hearth is very PVP-oriented, and I don't think is possible to set up private "family and friends" servers to avoid gankers.

According to one H&H forum thread:

•  "Crime and murder are the crux of Haven & Hearth. They are at the very core of the game concept and design. They are as integral as permadeath. This makes the game not for everyone."
  • " Losing things and being raided are learning experiences in this game. Griefing and senseless violence and pillaging is allowed because the game is a bit of a social experiment. When you take away a lot of the handholding and safety nets, you actually get (in my and a lot of other peoples' experience) a more meaningful game."
Edited by Brash_Endeavors

3 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Except they specified they do not like "battle type games", and Haven & Hearth is very PVP-oriented, and I don't think is possible to set up private "family and friends" servers to avoid gankers.

According to one H&H forum thread:

•  "Crime and murder are the crux of Haven & Hearth. They are at the very core of the game concept and design. They are as integral as permadeath. This makes the game not for everyone."
  • " Losing things and being raided are learning experiences in this game. Griefing and senseless violence and pillaging is allowed because the game is a bit of a social experiment. When you take away a lot of the handholding and safety nets, you actually get (in my and a lot of other peoples' experience) a more meaningful game."

Can't think of anything that resembles a "Wurm" type experience that'll work on mac that use low system requirements without some focus on combat mechanics. You can really hermit in haven and hearth and most people are not going to outright fight you if you have a group near you. Never been player killed in that game, but I join a village/kingdom usually.

It's hard OP, you might want to get a window's based computer but if that's not possible, I hate to say it but just play Minecraft. - that can be a very family oriented experience.

On 1/8/2018 at 0:14 AM, Niki said:

Can't think of anything that resembles a "Wurm" type experience that'll work on mac that use low system requirements without some focus on combat mechanics. You can really hermit in haven and hearth and most people are not going to outright fight you if you have a group near you. Never been player killed in that game, but I join a village/kingdom usually.

It's hard OP, you might want to get a window's based computer but if that's not possible, I hate to say it but just play Minecraft. - that can be a very family oriented experience.

A Tale in the Desert fits the bill, I believe. There's zero combat, except for occasional bug (cicada?) hunting. They've got a client for Mac. Purely crafting/farming MMO, with some elements that are much more complex than those of Wurm.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 10:44 AM, Niki said:

It's hard OP, you might want to get a window's based computer but if that's not possible, I hate to say it but just play  Minecraft - that can be a very family oriented experience especially when you are on voice chat in Yo WhatsApp

I Recommend A Tale in the Desert

Edited by yasirda

was going to recommend Rising World too, if you prefer a medieval environment though there is a player run server here that's worth looking at:

https://medievalrealms.co.uk/

Ohhh this is a necro post.... why?! It was asked 4 years ago 😐

Edited by Luniraen

Life Is Feudal was a good game, they had an MMO but has since closed down which is a shame. They still do the stand alone version though with private servers.

I believe that game was created by a bunch of Wurm players who were banned or left the game, at least that is what I heard. It has similar mechanics with terraforming. I know you said you did not like fighting but PvE is just building and collecting things like Wurm I guess. 

Here is the stand alone version if you are interested though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290080/Life_is_Feudal_Your_Own/

On 6/22/2022 at 11:36 PM, DannyUK said:

Life Is Feudal was a good game, they had an MMO but has since closed down which is a shame. They still do the stand alone version though with private servers.

I believe that game was created by a bunch of Wurm players who were banned or left the game, at least that is what I heard. It has similar mechanics with terraforming. I know you said you did not like fighting but PvE is just building and collecting things like Wurm I guess. 

Here is the stand alone version if you are interested though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290080/Life_is_Feudal_Your_Own/

Recently started playing this game. It is really good !

Edited by yasirda

SWG is still actually up on a server.... look it up it has everything it had up to the point the official one was shut down.

• Like 1