Sign in to follow this  
Finndar

One Year of Wurm Online

One year ago today, on 26 Dec 2016, I installed and logged-in to Wurm Online for the first time.  I lasted maybe 30-45 minutes before I logged off and said "no thanks".  But something made me log back in a little later, and it stuck.

Over the past twelve months, I have enjoyed the company of new friends, both on my home server of Independence. and elsewhere.  The WO community is strikingly friendly, helpful, resourceful, and skews much older and more mature than other MMORPGs I've played in my lifetime.   I have encountered players who play 12 accounts simultaneously and power game to its fullest, and I have encountered folks who spend so much of their time just helping others to achieve their goals.  I think this is a very giving community, and for the newbie who sticks it out, there are a lot of great things to be had in Wurm Online.

Special thanks to all the people who answer questions all day.  Whether they're staff or not, a lot of folks have spent time to help me along the way, patiently answering question after question, explaining concepts, and sometimes re-explaining concepts :)  When I was starting out, people like Archaed and Hannaliese and Mitzie were so generous with their time with me, and I thank them.  And for fun, an excerpt from my very first /tell conversation in WO, with @VirusMD:

Logging started 2016-12-27
[04:45:57] <Virusmd> i take it your new, what server are you on?
[04:46:38] <Finndar> Been playing 6 hours, yes.  Independence.
[04:46:51] <Virusmd> you got friends there?
[04:47:47] <Finndar> New to the game. I don't know anyone.
[04:48:32] <Virusmd> you try asking around for someone who operates a deed for newer players?
[04:50:26] <Finndar> Dude, I barely know what I'm doing here.  There is SO MUCH to learn.  Just taking it one step a time right now.
[04:51:30] <Virusmd> ok well indy is the oldest server, its the most used/populated generally so there should be alot of ppl there willing to help you out, a good step at this point is a safe place to base from
[04:51:41] <Virusmd> use your freedom channel, thats server specific. I offer space to new players, but im on Pristine, its not hard to switch servers thoe
[04:51:52] <Virusmd> im sure you noticed how easy is it to die early on
[04:52:30] <Virusmd> it is alot to learn, its fairly intuitive once you get the basics down
[04:53:33] <Finndar> Death and I  - we are well acquainted today *laugh*
[04:53:35] <Finndar> THanks.

Edited by Finndar
  • Like 37

Great story!

I wonder, since you like the game now, do you remember what first made you want to quit after 45 minutes? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cista said:

Great story!

I wonder, since you like the game now, do you remember what first made you want to quit after 45 minutes? 

The graphics were part of it. But the biggest was not having any direction or guidance.  The second time I logged in was after I googled “what do I do in wurm?” and found the Wurmpedia page  “What Do I Do” which was huge in guiding me through the next few days.  If not for that page, I wouldn’t have stuck around.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/What_Do_I_Do

Edited by Finndar
  • Like 2

Happy Wurmversary, Finndar!  I'm glad you stuck with it. :)  Here's to many more years with us!

• Like 1

looks like things didnt change that much since i started, i also had a lot of problems trying to figure out what the hell to do,other than walking around in the very crowded areas around freedom market in what back then was the freedom server. the server names may be diferents but the same problem.

have fun and enjoy your stay

Edited by Tpikol

Finndar..... you are way too modest mate!

Your contributions to the community on Indy are becoming legendary.

WIthout being asked, you showed up and offered to help me with the "twinning" of the East Crystal Highway from PsychoDads down to Oak Harbour in preparation for the new Cats Eye system last May.

Without being asked to do so, you installed a massive CEH (Cats Eyes Highway) network on the east of Dragon Fang Market side thru to and including the Grand Steppe.

Without being asked to, you upgraded and improved the Dragon Fang Pass Highway cave tunnel.

.... and those are only a few of your contributions sir, which make you such a wonderful member of our community.

Thank you for being such a helpful and most generous soul.

Warmest regards!

Hughmongus

• Like 8

Even if I never said hello in wurm, I want to thank you finn for the wurmpedia article, in all of my time playing I never read that page.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

Congrats on your anniversary! And great to hear you are enjoying Wurm.

A lot of things you said ring true for me as well. I started on Celebration, where I settled for good, and I also cannot say enough great things about the community. Sure, bad apples will come and go, but those who populate our servers for the long haul are geuinely great people. Many put a smile on my face when I just think of them. Life moves at a slow pace in Wurm, but that's just the way we like it. I am glad you found a home here and I wish you many more great years.

I'll be here for many years to come too :)

• Like 1

Yeah Finndar you enabled me to buy a really nice hammer o give to my blacksmith friend jatavan and man oh man  it is a nice hammer selfless giving is what make wurm such a tight knit community even for a sour old stick in the mud such as myself!!! We all play a part here and you play a big part well done on a year in!! ANd to think I thought you wrere a long time vet when I met you..!!!

• Like 1

I was really surprised a few weeks ago when I realized you are around for pess than a year - I felt I know the name Finndar for much longer you being such active on the forums and ingame. I wish you many more good years here in Wurm :) I can't really get bored ao much different aspects of this universe are waiting to be explored.

That Wurmpedia page should pop up for new accounts on GV...

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

agreed @Jaz, 1.5+ years of knowing wurm and first time I found it was finn.

This game should give you a anniversary gift, that would be cool.

Anyways happy to see you're still playing Finn, hoping you stay for more years to come!

• Like 1