Sign in to follow this  
JonsJava

[HOW-TO] Creating Dedicated Linux Server

Not sure if this is the place, but I wrote an article on how to set up a dedicated Wurm Unlimited Linux server, and figured I'd share it with everybody in case people want to do this.

It doesn't detail how to migrate (a guy has gotta have his secrets), but it will show you how to set up a new one.

If anybody has issues running through my instructions, feel free to let me know!

EDIT:

I've scripted it out (in about an hour -- no promises), and put it up on GitHub.  If you feel brave and are willing to test it, feel free!

https://github.com/jonsjava/wurm_unlimited_server

Edited by JonsJava
Added A GitHub link
  • Like 2

Thank you for your tutorial it's the best I have EVER found.

However, My server is binding to the wrong IP when it starts.

Is there a way Via the server.cfg to specify what ip address to use?  I have seen it mentioned somewhere that Linux computers may have this issue.

The server is running..   I see the server process   I can see the server listed in the server listings?  However, I appear to be the only one who can see it?  *Friends can't see it or connect to it Via IP.*  

and trying to connect only gets to a certain point and then just goes into the Reconnect countdown. 

Thanks in advance :)

Updated the doc with a fix for that. Also PM'd you the file to change to resolve this.

I like the idea of creating a service for wurm. You must be a linux pro.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

@Sklo:DI wouldn't call myself a "Linux Pro". I'm a DevOps engineer by day, and I work 100% on Linux, so I know a few tricks ;)

• Like 1

There also appears in the GUI Tool an option to set the Internal IP..   So I have the External set properly.. Thanks to your change :)

Now just need to set the internal?  as that's the last thing I can think of that is preventing me from connecting. 

thanks again in advance for all your awesome Help. 

Just an update: The issue was `IP` didn't exist in my configs.  I updated my configs, and @BigDawgLoKilooks to be in good shape now.

Again, if you have any issues with my walk-through, let me know!

• Like 1

Hii, 

The simply mean of Dedicate server is the dedicate resources, like 5-10 RAM, more than 100 GB SSD, and 6 core, these all the attributes make the server different from VPS. Which type of OS you want to install there are two type of OS

1. LiNUX

2. WINDOW.

For Dedicate server installation we have boot the CD/Drive in hardware for perticular OS, after all the installation completed then we have to configure the network as well as set the ctredential.

Now we can longuing the server via these network IP and credential.

@onliveserver: my document clearly states that the entire how-to was written around Ubuntu Linux (16.04.3, to be exact). I'm not sure what you're asking.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, onliveserver said:

Hii, 

The simply mean of Dedicate server is the dedicate resources, like 5-10 RAM, more than 100 GB SSD, and 6 core, these all the attributes make the server different from VPS. Which type of OS you want to install there are two type of OS

1. LiNUX

2. WINDOW.

For Dedicate server installation we have boot the CD/Drive in hardware for perticular OS, after all the installation completed then we have to configure the network as well as set the ctredential.

Now we can longuing the server via these network IP and credential.

facepalm-bedeutung-1602004.jpg

• Like 3

Hi @JonsJava I followed your tutorial and I'm having a little issue. Everything works fine up until I reboot the server. At boot time, the WU server starts without errors but it doesn't show up in the server list and when I try to connect directly via IP with the client, the login process stops, the window closes and I get this error:

Execution aborted at connection 0, iteration 0
Run time 0s, local time Thu Oct 10 13:55:54 EDT 2019
Destroying game window
====== CONNECT DENIED ======
Steam could not authenticate the user

Now, if I restart the server manually with Systemd (Even a few seconds after the actual server booted up), everything works okay and is back to normal. This only happens at boot time.

I've tried to put some delays in the Systemd script, even up to a minute, waiting for an actual functioning internet connection, etc. But to no avail. The first start at boot time doesn't work because apparently Steam can't authenticate the clients connecting to it.

Does any one have any idea what could be causing this?

Edited by Sekiryou

On 10/10/2019 at 2:08 PM, Sekiryou said:

Hi @JonsJava I followed your tutorial and I'm having a little issue. Everything works fine up until I reboot the server. At boot time, the WU server starts without errors but it doesn't show up in the server list and when I try to connect directly via IP with the client, the login process stops, the window closes and I get this error:

Execution aborted at connection 0, iteration 0
Run time 0s, local time Thu Oct 10 13:55:54 EDT 2019
Destroying game window
====== CONNECT DENIED ======
Steam could not authenticate the user

Now, if I restart the server manually with Systemd (Even a few seconds after the actual server booted up), everything works okay and is back to normal. This only happens at boot time.

I've tried to put some delays in the Systemd script, even up to a minute, waiting for an actual functioning internet connection, etc. But to no avail. The first start at boot time doesn't work because apparently Steam can't authenticate the clients connecting to it.

Does any one have any idea what could be causing this?

Ok, I found the trouble. For some reason, when started at boot from Systemd, the server doesn't find the library steamclient.so which it needs to authenticate.

Here's the error from Systemd's logs:

Oct 15 22:21:36 Sophie startserver.sh[1335]: [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
Oct 15 22:21:36 Sophie startserver.sh[1335]: dlopen failed trying to load:
Oct 15 22:21:36 Sophie startserver.sh[1335]: steamclient.so
Oct 15 22:21:36 Sophie startserver.sh[1335]: with error:
Oct 15 22:21:36 Sophie startserver.sh[1335]: steamclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Oct 15 22:21:36 Sophie startserver.sh[1335]: [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
Oct 15 22:21:36 Sophie startserver.sh[1335]: [10:21:36 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.steam.SteamHandler: Could not start server
Oct 15 22:21:36 Sophie startserver.sh[1335]: Could not start server

So I did an strace on the script that starts the server and I found that is was looking for the library in another folder than what it is supposed to look in.

openat(AT_FDCWD, "./nativelibs/x86_64/steamclient.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

This sub-folder x86_64 doesn't exist...

So I created the folder and I copied the 64bit library in that folder and now everything seems to work.

One suggestion - You might consider a section on what to change/add/do if you want to run multiple wurm servers on the same machine (for example server 1 is a production server, server 2 is for testing and server 3 is for dev work on mods - this is how I typically set mine up).