Sign in to follow this  
LordOfAwesomnia

WurmMapGen v2 - interactive map viewer for WU servers

Just an update:  I believe I did everything needed except portforward, since I don't understand that and don't want to mess it up. I still see only the blank map with the search box on the upper left.

Would anybody out there consider making an easier version of this, that can be used the same way I currently use MapViewer?  No need to do anything except fill out the config and then run it. So easy.   I prefer WurmMapGen, but it's not yet user-friendly for non-coders and that's a shame. It's a much better map.  

I'm a bit swamped at the moment, I already put it on my to do list but it'll be a while before I can get around to it. If anyone else wants to work on making the map generator easier to use for non-programmers, I welcome pull requests on Github :)

• Like 2

On 8/12/2018 at 12:54 PM, Batta said:

Just an update:  I believe I did everything needed except portforward, since I don't understand that and don't want to mess it up. I still see only the blank map with the search box on the upper left.

Would anybody out there consider making an easier version of this, that can be used the same way I currently use MapViewer?  No need to do anything except fill out the config and then run it. So easy.   I prefer WurmMapGen, but it's not yet user-friendly for non-coders and that's a shame. It's a much better map.  

To be fair, I completely forgot about the portforwarding myself. I am not sure if you need it though since you see the GUI but not the map. It could be something silly like Firefox settings --- try opening in a different browser see if that pulls the entire map.

If it is still blank then, did you run the mod to create your map files--make sure the config has the exact folder locations for your map and the folder it needs to be put into so it can be displayed on the web.

If you want to try port-forwarding,  run command prompt and type in ipconfig, this gets your ip (which is used for accessing your router if you don't already know how) it will have a list of things but all you want is Default Gateway--this tends to also be on the back of your router and is in a format like 111.222.3.4. Type this into your browser and it should pull up a router login (these details should also be on the back of your router box--typically something like admin for user and admin for password unless manually changed).  Every router is different so here's the hard part--locate your Port Forwarding settings, it is typically under advanced settings but you may need to poke around until you get the proper window.  Once you get to the right page, add a new entry:

It will most likely ask for Internal Port, External Port, port type, IP addresses, and a name for the entry. The name is whatever you wish, caddyport if you want something easy. Internal and External ports are the port you want open, 2015 in this default case, and the port type is just a label as the kind of port it is--I am not big into the networking scene so I can't explain these very well as of yet. Here's an example entry:

Port Entry Name: Caddy Port
Internal IP: 111.222.3.4 (Your ipv4, the ip of the computer you will be running the map from --found with ipconfig.)
External IP: 111.222.3.4 (same as above)
Internal Port: 2015
External Port: 2015
Port Type: TCL/UDP (This is questionable, I can't recall if 2015 needs to be UDP, TCL, or both--generally when I am not sure I just do both) 

Unfortunately I do not have a router that can port forward properly as of right now (thanks alot dumb ISP) so I am unable to test for you.

Personally I believe 2015 should be already a default forwarded port... But I don't want to leave anything missed just in case its not (like I said my router is basically broken) so I'll write this out to help :) (I really hope it does!)

TL;DR -- It sounds to me like its ported right since you are seeing something--if it wasn't port-forwarded you would normally get an error of: cannot reach gateway or something similar -- just the map itself isn't shown. I had this problem and I believe it was either a browser issue or an issue within the config where the map files didn't generate due to the size set being too big/small. I wish I could test it for you but that isn't possible until I get a decent router.

Let me know if you need any more help past this or if I didn't explain something properly, I am more than willing to assist!

I also get a blank map, I can see its generated the the map images files in htdocs\template\images I'm using XAMPP. I've opened the port 8080, it was working with mapviewer but I cant seem to get this one to work. 

When we use this on a Ubuntu server, it runs fine with one exception. Taking 256 tile size as an example, every single saved tile comes out to a total of 262,604 bytes. This indicates the PNG isn't being compressed properly at all when it's saved. The correct size would typically be about 1/10th that, as I tested by just downloading the tiles and resaving them with any image editor.

Before we start scheduling some system involving something like optipng or mogrify, is there something we're doing wrong that's causing it to spit out such bloated files.

This topic desperately needs a "how to" video for set up. I am semi-programmer myself (game developer grad) and I have found this to be a dizzy-ing process as a newcomer to server set up for something like this interactive map tool.

Josh

For all of you who have some issues getting WurmMapGen running, I've written a step-by-step guide to set up the map generator with XAMPP, aimed at non-technical users. Find it at the wiki https://github.com/woubuc/WurmMapGen/wiki/Step-by-step-guide-to-set-up-WurmMapGen

Note: I know how all of this works so I may assume things that aren't actually obvious to a non-technical user. I tried setting up a server following this guide after I wrote it, and it seemed clear enough to me, but if there's something in the text that you don't understand, be sure to let me know so I can update it.

The guide is a wiki page so if you have a Github account, feel free to contribute to the text to make things even more clear and understandable.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, tophattingson said:

every single saved tile comes out to a total of 262,604 bytes. This indicates the PNG isn't being compressed properly at all when it's saved.

I didn't really pay attention to image compression when updating this application, so yeah, it's very possible that there's no compression happening at all. I welcome a PR that adds image compression to the output, if you're interested in contributing.

1 hour ago, LordOfAwesomnia said:

Note: I know how all of this works so I may assume things that aren't actually obvious to a non-technical user. I tried setting up a server following this guide after I wrote it, and it seemed clear enough to me, but if there's something in the text that you don't understand, be sure to let me know so I can update it.

When you say, "Extract the downloaded zip archive to a directory of your choice (e.g. C:/WurmMapGen)" I'm not sure what you mean exactly. How do we know what would be a suitable place to extract it to?  Is this a folder that we create, and name "WurmMapGen," or is it something else?  Can we just extract it to the server's root directory, or to a folder named "WurmMapGen" within the root directory?

Also, does everyone playing on my LAN server have to install XAMPP to be able to see the map or will I be able to just tell them a web address?  Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I know nothing at all about this sort of thing.

I really appreciate your tutorial, just getting stuck because I don't understand the terms, nor what is a reasonable place to extract to.  

Edited by Batta

8 minutes ago, Batta said:

How do we know what would be a suitable place to extract it to?  Is this a folder that we create, and name "WurmMapGen," or is it something else?  Can we just extract it to the server's root directory, or to a folder named "WurmMapGen" within the root directory?

I've added some more information to the guide.

Basically, WurmMapGen doesn't care at all where it's located when you run it, as long as it can find the WurmMapGen.properties file and the template directory in the same directory as the WurmMapGen.jar.

That said, you shouldn't place it in your XAMPP / server directory, since you don't need to serve the application itself, only the files that it creates. And you should also not place it inside the WU server directory, cause it might try to load it as a mod and WuMapGen is not a mod so it will cause problems if that happens.

Easiest is to have it in a whole separate directory just for WurmMapGen. Where you put this directory (in the root directory of your C:/ harddrive, or in My Documents, or on your desktop, or...) is up to you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Batta said:

does everyone playing on my LAN server have to install XAMPP to be able to see the map or will I be able to just tell them a web address?

I've added a step 5 :)

6 hours ago, LordOfAwesomnia said:

I've added a step 5 :)

Thanks so much.  One last question:  if I want to use this on a hosted public server that already has Mapviewer by default (a dummy-button for clients to click to generate an updated map), do I need to ask the host to remove Mapviewer first?  or can they run side-by-side?

2 hours ago, Batta said:

Thanks so much.  One last question:  if I want to use this on a hosted public server that already has Mapviewer by default (a dummy-button for clients to click to generate an updated map), do I need to ask the host to remove Mapviewer first?  or can they run side-by-side?

As far as I can tell it only reads the map files, it doesn't modify them or anything, so they should be able to run side by side. I haven't tried it out though so let me know how it goes!

@LordOfAwesomnia Is there any way to make this map also show highway portals, or is that something only the town portal mod maker can do?  @bdew

We have almost entirely highway portals, very few regular ones, and it would be helpful to know where to find them.

Edited by Batta

When we compile the map again, whether on my LAN or on our hosted public server, it takes many, many hours before the online map updates. It took so long on my hosted server that I sent in a support ticket, thinking they had set it up wrong. But then about 4 hours later, the map suddenly updated.   

On my LAN server, it has been a full day now and the map isn't updating. I changed the name, so that I'd be able to see from the browser tab whether anything had changed at all. After compiling the altered map, if I double-click the index.html, then I get the usual blank map with search bar, but the new map name does show up in the browser tab. But if I try to view it via Apache / localhost, I get only the original map without changes, and the browser tab still says the old map name. 

I haven't changed anything in the config, and it did work the first time I compiled.

EDIT:  Okay, I got it working on my LAN. The problem there turned out to be that I had set the mapgen saveLocation to C:/xampp/htdocs/wurmmapgen and it just flat out wouldn't accept that. When I moved the saveLocation to a folder inside my Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server folder, it worked perfectly and instantly.  

Edited by Batta

@LordOfAwesomniaThank you so much for sharing this great tool. How do you setup custom markers for POI's, like groves and highways etc?

Edited by Darkness1990

1 hour ago, Darkness1990 said:

@LordOfAwesomniaThank you so much for sharing this great tool. How do you setup custom markers for POI's, like groves and highways etc?

Yes!  I've been wanting to do this too, but for Focus zones.

Anyway to get it to show all guard towers not just freedom towers on a freedom server?  we have the added kingdom stuff and many jk towers were built by players but wont show on the map.

Love this mapgen, using it on my server :D
As many have talked about, adding custom markers would be great :D

Just looked at LordOfAwesomnia's profile, not sure there will be an update :(
" LAST VISITED: 
October 13, 2018"