Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Server Crossing Ferries

So this person from Epic came over today and was looking to purchase a boat. I was willing to just give him one, if only he could make his way to Celebration. Having no means of transportation, he wondered why there weren't any portals and ferries to cross servers. This made me wonder the same thing.

Here's my suggestion. A new NPC (Like wagoneers) that do regular ferries from one port to another. This port should be static, with no more than one per server, and only travel through natural borders (no course plotting). They should be slow, and ferry players from one server to its destination. The idea is to provide an inneficient, but sure means to cross servers, even if you don't have a boat to cross them with.

What would the route be?

Look at your world map. The routes are already listed there. The boat departs from a close point to the destination server, and move from there in a continuous schedule. Schedules could be listed at the port for ferries moving back and forth. 

How do players book a trip? 

There could be a fee involved, or it could be free. This is up to the developers. The player goes to the assigned point at an assigned time, and boards the ferry much the same way as one boards a ship. The ferry then carries you over upon its departure taking the predetermined route. The player would remain on the ferry until they wish to disembark much as one does with a normal ship. For those routes that visit more than one server (Inedpendence > Xanadu > Deliverance > Independence) the player can remain on board the ferry until it reaches the desired destination.

Wouldn't this make boats obsolete? 

No. For one, you can't just go wherever you want. The ferry has a specific route, and you cant deviate from it. Also, it should be slower than a rowboat, making it impractical for travel. It also does not travel within the server.

How does this help anyone?

New players, or people who just don't have a boat (returning players, someone who dies and looses everything, people wanting to go to Chaos without risking their boat) can move freely across servers without using the rather silly log off - recover stamina trick. 

This will reduce business from player ferrymen!

When was the last time you saw someone offering this service, and how reliable was it? Besides, player ferries will still be much more efficient, as they are faster, and move you between points of your choice. Think of it as using mass transit vs Uber. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

+1 This inter-server transport idea would complement nicely Darmalus's buggy suggestion for intra-server transport.

+1  But I'd suggest having a ferry dock at each route end point.  For pristine this would be 2 ferry docks.  As Qwyn suggested these two docks should be connected by the buggy suggestion.  At row boat speeds it would take forever to get from one end of Freedom to the other, so I would suggest sailboat.

Or has an alternative, a Corbita tied in not only with the buggy suggestion but also with the wagoneers with fees set high enough to encourage entrepenaurs to continue to provide quicker, more convenient delieveries.

The ferries should not cross to Chaos, and have no place on Epic.

6 hours ago, Grumpysmith said:

+1  But I'd suggest having a ferry dock at each route end point.  For pristine this would be 2 ferry docks.  As Qwyn suggested these two docks should be connected by the buggy suggestion.  At row boat speeds it would take forever to get from one end of Freedom to the other, so I would suggest sailboat.

Or has an alternative, a Corbita tied in not only with the buggy suggestion but also with the wagoneers with fees set high enough to encourage entrepenaurs to continue to provide quicker, more convenient delieveries.

The ferries should not cross to Chaos, and have no place on Epic.

Why not Chaos? Whats the reasoning there?

6 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Why not Chaos? Whats the reasoning there?

Chaos is a PVP server.  A player in a slow boat with a defined route would be a sitting duck unless given protection.  If players, or items, where given safe passage while on a ferry it would provide a very safe way of moving stuff on and off the server.  Stuff leaving for Freedom is, as I understand it, a sore point for many people.  Now I've never set foot on Chaos, so if people wanted the ferry system, it wouldn't bother me.  But being able to move stuff on and off of a pvp server with complete safety and no ability to be intercepted, seems to me to be completely against the concept of a pvp server.

1 hour ago, Grumpysmith said:

Chaos is a PVP server.  A player in a slow boat with a defined route would be a sitting duck unless given protection.  If players, or items, where given safe passage while on a ferry it would provide a very safe way of moving stuff on and off the server.  Stuff leaving for Freedom is, as I understand it, a sore point for many people.  Now I've never set foot on Chaos, so if people wanted the ferry system, it wouldn't bother me.  But being able to move stuff on and off of a pvp server with complete safety and no ability to be intercepted, seems to me to be completely against the concept of a pvp server.

There is nowhere in my suggestion that says you are safe in a ferry. The ferry is for moving passengers, not cargo, and it would work like sailing in a normal boat. Anyone on Chaos could sail to you and kill you before you cross the border. Or better yet, the ferry point could be camped, given it has set schedules, so anyone can get there at the determined time of departure and kill you. It would make a very impractical means to move items as you can only carry your inventory with you.

The idea is not to move assets back and forth, only players. A player in a rowboat has a better chance to get off the server safely, as they can leave literally from anywhere in the server at any time. Anyone intending to move important things from Chaos would simply pick a knarr to freight their goods.

The ferry, however, provides means of travel for new players who started on the wrong server, and players who got displaced from their kingdoms and simply wish to move to Freedom. It also provides for those on Freedom who wish to go to Chaos without their boats, or dont have a boat to sail on. Its a nice alternative to those forced to swim to the border instead.

Great idea.  Don't forget we would need naming rights for the ferries.  Maybe the King Rolf for the first ferry.  Someone has to have some other names?