Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Breeding - Mostly Not in Mood

Tending, force feeding, fat status, taming, I seem to have such a hard time getting some of my horses to breed no matter what I do.  They seem to mostly not be in the mood.  Is there a trick to force a horse to be in the mood for breeding?  AH is in the 90s and some of them still give me trouble.

Help!

I breed as well but not for the money.  Only so I don't have to spend money for my wagon horses.  With my skill over 50 I have to keep a lot of breeding pairs so I can turn put enough of the five speed ones as replacement.  With your skill at 90 any thing I told you about you would already know about.  

I do t have them refuse to breed unless I just used a male to breed with another. In that case you have to wait 45 minutes before you can breed that male again.  If a female has given birth you have to wait 24 hours till it can breed again.  If it is hungry it also will not be in the mood.

Yeah, those are the usual things to check, thanks.  I try to feed them, I groom them, etc. etc., but for some reason they just refuse to be bred (so far).  I will just keep plugging along with it.

There used to be an issue -- maybe it's back, maybe this is different -- where once a mare gave birth, she could not breed again till after the next server reset. Mares that had not yet been bred that "uptime" could be bred.   Does this sound like it might be an issue again? One way to check is whether 'virgin" mares are fine, but mares that gave birth in the past few weeks (unless there was a reset) all seem "broken".  Casual breeders or longtime breeders not currently selling horses are less likely to notice as a mare that only breeds once every four or five week  is not a major issue. The stallions always seemed fine.  

Not that "old" bugs in Wurm ever would resurface ^_^  Usually the game code will first determine whether the horse being lead, is "in the mood", so you can sometimes narrow down which horses are the issue by swapping which horse is on the rope, to see if both horses are having the issue or whether it is always the same ones. Try leading the stallions and see whether it is always the mares having the issue.  Write down the names to see if the same names pop up often, Sometimes it is just a specific set of animals, but if you rotate the breeding somewhat haphazardly, it is harder to spot. 

This (older) was possibly related to spawning issues, when it happened it did NOT affect all servers equally, usually Xanadu then Indy were the first to notice an issue.  So mentioning your server can also help narrow down the issue.  However it was not related to animal hoarding since mares used to breed just fine as long as they have not had a live birth during that same server uptime. But people always ignore that and start claiming animal hoarding again. Animals get pregnant fine (if they have not had a birth that uptime), they just are not able to breed a second time till a server restart, like their 24-hour timer/cooldown is glitched, (There is a few rare cases the GMs are investigating where a very few mares seem to take an entire month to give birth (I once had one of these) but that seems a different issue and affects only particular animals. This issue we are discussing here, includes ALL female animals that have already given birth once in that server uptime, and are "not in the mood" till the next server restart). 

See this older thread:

Again, this may be something entirely different, it just sounded suspiciously familiar ...  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I keep my animals in 2x1 pens, single animal, males go into their own pens and I might see not in the mood once every few months.  Cows I keep females in open field so they roam, I see not in the mood a lot with them.  Perhaps its the roaming around vs being stationary?  No clue just may be coincidence.

I have noticed there have ben changes to the breeding system.. such as I have 30 ah and I can breed 5 speeds now.. usually when mother is 5 speed and definitely when one or the other is 5 speed.. also I have noticed that my animal are roamers but in a one tile wise yard around my house.. so I gues that's confinement if they can't go sideways.but I have many foals from  4 mothers and I have only noticed one or two not in moods in a long time... so whether that info helps you i don't know and i am on Xanadu in a large population area....