Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Have an option for GMs respawning animals that died of caring for bug

We've all lost animals to the caring for bug - animals that should have been immortal in terms of age, but died when cared for, not pregnant, not diseased, fed, and on a deed with a good ratio. I'm sure the devs are working on fixing this bug, but considering it's been around for years, it seems like it's a hard thing to fix and may take some time. In the meantime, I think there should be an option for us to get back animals that died from this bug. I recently had a Dove traitor traitor die, which is irreplaceable, unlike the other animals I've lost before that I can just breed more of. If we have an animal die under the above circumstances, we should be able to contact the GMs and have them respawn that animal. Either that or fix the bug, but I really would love my dove traitor traitor back.

• Like 1

AFAIK,  care for isn't supposed to make the animal immortal, it only greatly lengthens the lifespan of the animal.

I know the wiki says "indefinite" but don't believe everything you read on the wiki. There are a lot of inaccuracies/misinformation/guesses/hearsay there.

My understanding is that from a "code" point of view, it should be effectively immortal.

The animal has a "max age" that it can reach, and caring for it should make it ignore that deathcheck.  If something's triggering that check anyway that would be a bug, making the animal's death the result of an actual bug instead of just a poorly understand mechanic.

Disclaimer:  I haven't actually looked at the code, my understanding could be flawed.

From the code point of view, cared for animals are immortal regarding to age...  bugs, disease, miscarriage, axe falling from the sky are still possible cause of death.

The trouble being that weird bugs still happens to them and you can still find your favorite pet dead on a pile of food, for no reasons.

Not sure if ressurecting them is an option regarding to the code / abilities of the servers & engine. But GMs (or maybe arch+ only) are already able to summon creature for our enjoyment during events... It's just one step closer to have the rules changed and allow them to replace a pet dead to a bug.

5 minutes ago, Odynn said:

Not sure if ressurecting them is an option regarding to the code / abilities of the servers & engine.

Since they can be zombified with a reference to their old skills their info must not be purged immediately on death.  It would probably be simple for somebody to undo death in that case, though I assume it's not a ready-made GM function.

Technically, "indefinitely" only means for an undefined period of time, so an animal dying of age, even if cared for, would not fall outside of this parameter. Does anyone know from code-diving if cared for completely ignores age checks, or just mostly ignores age checks? That would be the question to have an answer to.

-1, I think that the team is busy as-is, and waiting for support tickets takes long enough already.