Sign in to follow this  
and0r

Server Time

How does time pass in Wurm Unlimited? Does the server need to run for time to pass, or does the server just determine how much time has passed using the OS system time? 

Also, does the time continue if nobody is logged onto the server?

The server needs to be running for time to pass

Shut it down, time stops.

I have heard though but not 100% sure, that damage to items is server uptime independant, i believe it because damage ticks are stored for items with a RL time stamp.

Is there a way to cause crops to follow the server up time?  

If the Crops are planted previously to the server being reset, is there something that can be done to make the crops follow the new server time?  So the crop cycles could be made to follow the server uptime clock.

On 12/15/2017 at 5:12 PM, bigsteve said:

I have heard though but not 100% sure, that damage to items is server uptime independant, i believe it because damage ticks are stored for items with a RL time stamp.

That's not true, the timestamps are stored using in-game time (WurmCalendar.currentTime). There was actually a server where the admin decided to roll the in-game clock forward 20 years then watched everything rapidly decay :D

8 hours ago, Orsus said:

Is there a way to cause crops to follow the server up time?  

If the Crops are planted previously to the server being reset, is there something that can be done to make the crops follow the new server time?  So the crop cycles could be made to follow the server uptime clock.

Not sure i understand the question.

If you have "Crop tile poller split" enabled (which is the default), the growth cycles start when the server starts then every X time after that all the tiles on the server will grow.

If you have it disabled - field growth is managed by the normal tile poller which cycles through the server following some pattern and will continue from where it left when the server restarts.

You are right I did not write question very well.  I should have proofread it before I posted.

I was asking if there is a way to make crops always follow the server time, even after Server reset.  Such that when the server goes down, for example 10 minutes, for its weekly reset the crops that were planted before would follow the new server uptime.

3 hours ago, Orsus said:

You are right I did not write question very well.  I should have proofread it before I posted.

I was asking if there is a way to make crops always follow the server time, even after Server reset.  Such that when the server goes down, for example 10 minutes, for its weekly reset the crops that were planted before would follow the new server uptime.

If the server is down everything freezes and continues where it stopped. There is no way to connect things with the real world time without mods, also modding can be tricky because crops don't really follow the server time, the need to be ticked from the pollers of the server, which need the server to be up and running.

Ok thanks, I did not know if there was a way to hard code the crops to run off the server uptime or not for when they would cycle to the next stage.