Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Saddle Bags

Saddle bags are now on the test server and I played around with them a bit.

They seem to have the same properties as a back pack, but without being able to store satchels.

They look great on regular horses but no model yet for the hell horse.

At this time I can see no reason to have them other than for the looks.

With the weight in a saddle bag counting towards over all load on the horse you just as well keep your things in your inventory.

I was looking forwards to the feature as I thought it would be nice for forestry and even archaeology, but with the limitation on number of items each one can hold it really saves you no time and you just as well keep the cart handy. If you could put satchels inside a saddle bag then you could haul quite a few items with leading 3 or 4 horses and it would be worthwhile I would think.

Noticed a bug while testing, dragging planks from your inventory into the saddle bag causes the planks to vanish.

Edited by JakeRivers

Given that this is a WORK IN PROGRESS AND IN NO WAY FINALISED I think making a suggestion on it is a little premature. 

It's being worked on and will continue to be. 

I figured a suggestion would not hurt, why not get it right before it goes live?

But if you prefer zero input that is fine too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

At this time I can see no reason to have them other than for the looks.

Assuming they can hold a backpack's worth of stuff, I was going to use them as an upgraded small cart while harvesting my corn. Put in some containers and have it hold my stuff as I wander my fields and gather stuff. I get the extra weight capacity without losing speed to dragging a cart.

Though I was hoping for more than a backpack's volume. Maybe a pair of backpacks?

There is zero foundation for any speculation beyond items called saddlebags being on test, commenting on a placeholder container is premature and unnecessary 

Their functionality will not be a system to bypass horse weight mechanics, and it was always clear that it would play a part.

their volume and what they can carry is a minor detail, our focus is getting the proper mechanics in. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mclavin said:

can't wait to see carry more/strong body come into play.

Atm they just give a horse an added 40kg before slowing down so that'd be the thing to change to make saddlebags decent i think. Make the code relating to the three traits that add carry weight work differently for saddlebags so the horse can carry a bit more. If they were double effectiveness for weights in saddlebags it'd work pretty well imo.

• Like 1

A professional response to this suggestion would sound like this:

"Thank you for taking the time out of your day to use the test server to test a new concept we are working on.  We will take your observations into consideration as we continue to develop this feature for the community to enjoy.  Have a great day!"

• Like 2

I am still surprised there are no pack saddles in the game for horses, even Ultima Online had pack horses.

Edited by Orsus

On 11/12/2017 at 5:04 PM, madnezz said:

A professional response to this suggestion would sound like this:

"Thank you for taking the time out of your day to use the test server to test a new concept we are working on.  We will take your observations into consideration as we continue to develop this feature for the community to enjoy.  Have a great day!"

Retrograde is doing a pretty good job, and I bet he would have made a quite similar response, if it was a new player or other player making the thread, and not someone who's contributions are mostly negative and unconstructive, like in this thread

I think the devs should use the Public Test Board some more though, like for this feature, and invite discussions and feedback like they did years ago on other upcoming features.

Not to go off topic, but we use the public test board for features we wish to publicly test, things such as this however 1) aren't ready for public testing, and 2) are unlikely to need a round of play testing beyond our QA team. 

depending on the feature we'll use those threads for feedback and the like through testing phases though. 

As this is related to a feature that is not ready for public test, and is in no way complete, I'm locking this thread. 

Pandalet  (Assistant Lead Forum Moderator)