Sign in to follow this  
Theodein

Third person, a sneak peak!

On 11/20/2019 at 10:18 AM, Steveleeb said:

bump.
i know we had it for a short time but i realised that if it was fluid if, you could mousewheel from 1st to 3rd person..
it's a somewhat paradigm shift but would make the game much more `broadly` appealing and the timing would be good.

The broader appeal might be a reason to look at this again...  I still feel more at home when I play a 3rd person perspective game.

Choices are good.  Keep your immersive 1st person if you want to, but I'd much rather have 3rd person.

JS

I can assure you it's not just wanting to keep things immersive. 

Adding third person means countering an absolute tonne of clipping issues, the camera and walls weren't built for third person so is likely to create a lot of issues. Having it for a short time was a simple offset that was around as mucking around accidentally finding its way into live as a bug, it wasn't an actual working third person implementation. 

It's something we'd like to see too but a lot would need to be rewritten in order to avoid clipping through objects

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 9:06 PM, Retrograde said:

The renderer is not built around third person, and does not take clipping, collisions, height, or any factor into consideration, shadows and terrain renders forward to improve performance, and a whole host of other factors. 

It's pretty to offset the camera in a mod or as a proof of concept, but a functioning system would require far more effort and just isn't in our focus at this point. 

I like to look at myself but so happy to have what I have. First person view is a small price to pay.

Edited by lowborn

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I can assure you it's not just wanting to keep things immersive. 

Adding third person means countering an absolute tonne of clipping issues, the camera and walls weren't built for third person so is likely to create a lot of issues. Having it for a short time was a simple offset that was around as mucking around accidentally finding its way into live as a bug, it wasn't an actual working third person implementation. 

It's something we'd like to see too but a lot would need to be rewritten in order to avoid clipping through objects

I understand that.  My response was to those who don't like the idea because it breaks immersion.

There are three basic reasons given for not having it.

1. It would take significant coding/debugging.
   True, but this is probably about the best time for that, if it's doable without major 'broad appeal', QoL improvement sacrifices...

2. It would break my immersion/alter how I respond to the environment.

This is not unusual.  In games with the choice available, people have their preferences.  That's ok.  Actually, that's good!

3. It would break pvp.

First, I don't really care because I don't pvp… but I'd rather keep as many people happy as possible so...  How about it's disabled anywhere pvp is possible?

• Like 2

3rd person can not break pvp.. if you suck at pvp.. you'll still suck at pvp.. nothing changes.

immersion.. it's after all ingame player 'avatar', why is it bad to be able to see it.. it's not breaking anything.. if you do not want to see it... just do not use the 3rd person mode(if there was such in the 1st place)

coding stuff.. well.. it's a thing that do not exist currently.. sure will take some coding.. but the base is there.. it's polishing or readjusting things around the camera in the end, no? maybe a few clipping issues to solve.. in addition