Sign in to follow this  
Theodein

Third person, a sneak peak!

I fooled around today with a few angles to show how truly amazing wurm can look from a third person perspective, so I will raise this suggestion again and share the screenshots with you.

According to my view third person view should be an optional setting of course.

POb08Zn.jpg

4UM4kWH.jpg

dVJTwxa.jpg

0nXmRG5.jpg

ta2HEZf.jpg

2tLKssD.jpg

• Like 11

All MMO's should have a third person option (at least in my opinion.) I've yet to play a game where having third person ruined the experience (unless you're playing competitive games like PUBG where third person can give you an advantage.)

The only drawback I could see to this is some people trying to peek over walls (or through them). It just seems like a pvp issue to me. If the devs could somehow prevent this abuse of the camera then I'm all for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goblinking said:

All MMO's should have a third person option (at least in my opinion.) I've yet to play a game where having third person ruined the experience (unless you're playing competitive games like PUBG where third person can give you an advantage.)

The only drawback I could see to this is some people trying to peek over walls (or through them). It just seems like a pvp issue to me. If the devs could somehow prevent this abuse of the camera then I'm all for it.

One could argue that it brings a small advantage in PvP, I would beg to differ, if you had a fixed angle it would not be a difference shown in the above angles from what we have today. Regarding peaking over walls etc, that's already possible so I don't see anything strange there.

this is my preffered view, POb08Zn.jpg

But i kinda love how we're all forced to be 1st person. It's great for me and makes wurm, wurm. I -1 only because of my personal preference of 1st person, I feel we'd be Forced to play in Third in pvp otherwise you're disadvantaged on whats going on around you. So +1 if freedom only???? -1 for chaos/epic. 

Nice views tho

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

this is my preffered view, POb08Zn.jpg

But i kinda love how we're all forced to be 1st person. It's great for me and makes wurm, wurm. I -1 only because of my personal preference of 1st person, I feel we'd be Forced to play in Third in pvp otherwise you're disadvantaged on whats going on around you. So +1 if freedom only???? -1 for chaos/epic. 

Nice views tho

Thanks , I kinda preferred this too, I understand the point of view regarding switching between 1 and third on Chaos and Epic could be argued that third person would give an advantage but I still don't like the idea to implement it on Freedom only because then people like me would feel forced out of PvP ( I like PvP :D) Because they like the third person a lot more.
On another note , I feel like they really should place the camera object attached to your head object so you get the immersive first person camera who follows your models head instead of the static one we have now. Makes us able to look down on our character from time to time ( Praying etc )

• Like 1

tbh i always liked the 1st person view only in regards to pvp, it means that 1 person can never see everything, thus making group communication all the more important

im with mclovin, 1st person ONLY on epic/chaos, option enabled on freedom

• Like 5

The only reason I'd -1 it is because I like the immersion of the first person view.

First person view is one of the reasons why I died recently on Epic during a battle. I was focused on an enemy player trying to kill them and didn't realise my friends beside me had backed off and run away down the road behind me. In third person view I'd have seen that and for me... that kinda takes away that immersive feeling.

Another example is when Kix, Threap and Wulfgar all started running back to their deed with only Bloodmaster chasing them. I remember watching the video back and you can see Mclovin turning around to look behind him wondering wtf was happening behind him to make them run away.

Again I can think of even more examles where people in DD would try to distract the Crusaders so they could sneak around behind them to try to lead away and steal their horses.

I love being able to have to physically look around at your surroundings not just in PVP but when searching the woods for uniques or when I'm filming my tour videos and trying to make it feel like I'm really there walking around and looking at these great deeds and buildings. A 3rd person view I think would take alot of that away from the game.

If it had to be implimented I would also prefer it to be PVE only. I think it would take alot of the fun away from PVP because we'd all be forced to use it so we could "see more".

Edited by Iberis
  • Like 4

The renderer is not built around third person, and does not take clipping, collisions, height, or any factor into consideration, shadows and terrain renders forward to improve performance, and a whole host of other factors. 

It's pretty to offset the camera in a mod or as a proof of concept, but a functioning system would require far more effort and just isn't in our focus at this point. 

• Like 4

wurm had 3rd person for like half a day on the live servers or something like that a few years back

it was cool and all, but i heard people say you could bug it out and do some really bad things

then they noticed i assume and took it out

Edited by Oreo

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The renderer is not built around third person, and does not take clipping, collisions, height, or any factor into consideration, shadows and terrain renders forward to improve performance, and a whole host of other factors. 

It's pretty to offset the camera in a mod or as a proof of concept, but a functioning system would require far more effort and just isn't in our focus at this point. 

How about the changes to first person I mentioned in reply to Mclovins thread then? Is that something achieveable?

-1 on third person, the only reason  i can see 3rd person would be ok, if you get motion sickness, but in a game like this, first person is the key here..

just my 2 bits

On 09/12/2017 at 5:06 AM, Retrograde said:

Doubt the position has changed in 2 months.

Instead of a third person view I would prefer a vanity view where I could move the camera to the front to take a screenshot with my friends beside me or something interesting in the background.  It would require them to make it so no actions or movement could be done while in the vanity view to prevent any exploiting of it obviously.

This is a nice concept and would be nice moving in or out into first and third person point of view like most games have nowadays. However it depends on how difficult this will be and if it's worth the effort. It's nice, but I wouldn't say it would improve the game that drastically, if much at all. Remember, the camera would have to be changed for vehicles as well.

Edited by Trenix

bump.
i know we had it for a short time but i realised that if it was fluid if, you could mousewheel from 1st to 3rd person..
it's a somewhat paradigm shift but would make the game much more `broadly` appealing and the timing would be good.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

I'm not the type that totally wants or needs it, it would be a nice to have for me but just cause...

Just recently I streamed some Wurm to friends on a discord channel in anticipation for the WO Steam Server cause someone else and me spoke "to much" of it, so they wanted to see some of it.... first question was "show us your character, go third person mode!" ... "uhm... yea.. I can't, here have a look at my paperdoll... or I need to login a second char and stream that window so you can see it." odd giggles and rumoring ensued.

If not for gameplay, people just like to see their own char fully sometimes without requiring some odd UI window thats to small for the task or go as far as make an alt just to have a proper look.

They were a curious lot, but yea... nowdays it does seem a bit odd to not have such a "feature" I suppose.

• Like 1