Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 048

header.png

Autumn Evening at Crystal Bay Estates, Independence - Finndar

Another short and sweet News this week as we gear up towards the end of the year, with the final Valrei International for 2017 being released next friday. Christmas is around the corner, and I hope you're all getting your shopping done and not leaving it until the last minute (like me!)

But anyways...

Ongoing work

The two main focuses of our work currently are ongoing discussions and balancing of the 1.6 update based on your feedback including:

• Mission requirements and rewards - High difficulty missions and balancing, rewards splitting, champion creature availability
  • Archaeology mechanics and fragments  - high failure rate at high skill, low frequency of archaeology specific fragments 
  • Restoration results - Enchant powers and rune frequencies have been mentioned as being a little low.
  • Epic skillgains - Stat gains, action skillgain vs speeds

Many of you have taken the time to provide feedback (and report bugs) and it's greatly appreciated, there's likely others apart from the ones listed, but we'll continue to look at addressing each issue as we go.

The other main focus is the previously announced features of saddlebags and animal crates. They're ongoing works (though some may have noticed the graphics slipped in in the last update) and the creature crates will likely have a public testing round prior to launch, so keep an eye out for that when it comes up. There's no ETA yet though.

Client Update

As mentioned in last weeks news, yesterdays client update introduced a new system of rendering player models, with improved memory footprint and performance, we'll be popping around to check out gathering and be relying on your feedback too, if you encounter any high memory usage situations with many players in local, please be sure to provide feedback, every little bit helps us! 

WU Beta

We've received a fair few questions about the WU beta, and it is ongoing, we have no firm ETA yet, but are reaching a point where we consider the current system stable to go into WU, so watch this space!

Christmas break
As stated earlier, next week will be the last Valrei International for 2017. Over the next week or so we'll be winding down to the Christmas break, there's still a bit of work to be done, but after that we'll be taking the Christmas and New Years period to rest, spend time with family, and get ready for next years work, there's plenty we've shared coming, and a lot more we want to get out of there. 

Community Content 
It's the second annual Shrimpalong! Also known as the Blackmoor Christmas Impalong, hosted by Shrimpiie (I prefer Shrimpalong) 

Launching today in approximately 15 hours and running until 17th, The impalong is the perfect way to get to know people from other servers, and work together in games, imping, and all round fun. We'll be dropping in from time to time to slaughter the locals, as well as turn shrimpiie into a carrot. Hope to see you all there! 

For the full details, check out the thread here!

That's it for this week, I hope to see many of you at the Shrimpalong this week, and as always, keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 10

@RetrogradeIs there any chance of us getting animal crates for Christmas, or is that a bit too ambitious? I'd like to volunteer for the testing round, as long as a GM can respawn my test animal if it dies or goes missing while crossing :) Can't wait to get my champ tortoise to Exo!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Archaeology mechanics and fragments  - high failure rate at high skill, low frequency of archaeology specific fragments 

This is just a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face, If people want to put the effort in to get high skill then the results should match. If your worried about people holding a monopoly over the items you have nothing to worry about, No one wants the masks except for the Mask of the shadow and the stats are a blurry mess even on maxed settings and quite frankly not many are going to go through the annoyance of finding enough frags especially when out of every 1.2k you get maybe 2-4 God stat parts and maybe 10+ frags of the other stats at 91+ skill.

I am a grinder by nature and i am already sick to the back teeth of this skill because after awhile it gets very repetitive, You soon realise that 3/4 of the Items the fragments turn into are useless, wooden items, Metal Items etc.

Apart from the one good rune of the scavenger on weapons etc. So after uncovering say 100 fragments your barely left with maybe 30+ fragments that might be a useful statue and the rest can go in the trash.

Edited by Belfesar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Attenia said:

@RetrogradeIs there any chance of us getting animal crates for Christmas, or is that a bit too ambitious? I'd like to volunteer for the testing round, as long as a GM can respawn my test animal if it dies or goes missing while crossing :) Can't wait to get my champ tortoise to Exo!

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The other main focus is the previously announced features of saddlebags and animal crates. They're ongoing works (though some may have noticed the graphics slipped in in the last update) and the creature crates will likely have a public testing round prior to launch, so keep an eye out for that when it comes up. There's no ETA yet though.

So excited for saddlebags, but I hope this doesn't turn into another endless 'coming soon' feature.  Which dev is working on that feature, out of interest?

• Like 1

Was really hoping we get those saddlebags before the Christmas break.

Edit; missed a word..

Edited by Budzilla

6 minutes ago, Budzilla said:

Really hoping we get those saddlebags before the Christmas break.

Unless you mean Christmas 2018, not sure why you would get your hopes up when the OP clearly states that it won't happen before the Christmas break.

Weekly reminder than saddlebag weight is slated to affect the horse's speed, and as such, is another feature that is DoA.

On the memory usage issue, I'm not noticing significant differences after the latest update. While running 4 clients with 15+ players in local, total client memory usage was on the order of 6.5gb. (One client had graphics at max, the other three were at minimum. Ironically, the one with graphics at max wasn't using the most memory.)

Granted, I haven't been collecting memory data long, but I also still see the stuttering/stopping when moving into a populated local, and it doesn't "feel" noticeably better.

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The other main focus is the previously announced features of saddlebags and animal crates.

Yay, bridges!  oh wait...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Epic skillgains - Stat gains, action skillgain vs speeds

Just completed an experiment. Prior to the update, I had skilled an alt up to 21 body control doing nothing but practicing archery to 40. I just finished skilling a post-update alt to 40 archery, but only got to 20.23 body control.

That's very discouraging. :( I feel like I'm being doubly punished for playing on Epic: not only can I not transfer skills to Freedom, but my stat gain relative to skill gain is half what it was before, and is no doubt less than on Freedom?

I'm afraid all my characters on Epic are being permanently gimped on stats. :(

By the way, gains looked good on body control until I hit 20, then it looked like they were cut in half. I understand that gains should go down as you get better, but that was drastic.

Also, body control hits got less and less frequent as archery climbed. Had they hit every time the way the archery gains were hitting every time, it might have been closer.

Edited by Roccandil

Epic skillgains - Stat gains, action skillgain vs speeds

It doesn't matter if it's 2x gain, the fact you can transfer from Freedom to Epic over and over, just means you get 2 clusters for the grind of 1, which essentially makes it "faster" 

I mean think about it, are you gonna grind on epic and freedom, or just freedom? Where your rare rolls on items you grind on = more worth value. Where there is a market to buy x items to grind fast, saftey on freedom, etc?
You need to think about getting Epics tranfers to cross more often aswell, because epic is a ghost town unless we create an event. It isn't "i was out hunting and got pvp!" type server anymore.

The map aswell, sucks, most of the players that came over and saw, agreed. So yeah thats the 2 big things for epic. Ik you say the map will be thought about down the line, that's fine,
but the freedom to epic skill transfer is killing the grind/random pvp on epic. 

LoA wagons and tabbards before xmas? ;-; pls

All I want for christmas is a tabbard my dev friends <3

12 hours ago, Delacroix said:

Weekly reminder than saddlebag weight is slated to affect the horse's speed, and as such, is another feature that is DoA.

What where you expecting? magic saddle bags of anti-gravity?  They will have a use, just not the one you were hoping for.

• Like 2

Client update has completely broken the game for me. Can load up my alts just fine but my main that logged out at the impalong last night can't relog, the game just freezes upon loading and he's now stuck there. Definitely has to do with the amount of people in local.

Edit; If anyone else runs into this issue, I was able to fix it by setting Java's memory limit to at least 4096m

Edited by Budzilla

12 hours ago, Budzilla said:

Client update has completely broken the game for me. Can load up my alts just fine but my main that logged out at the impalong last night can't relog, the game just freezes upon loading and he's now stuck there. Definitely has to do with the amount of people in local.

Edit; If anyone else runs into this issue, I was able to fix it by setting Java's memory limit to at least 4096m

Thanks, I was having the same issue and had to bump up memory to 5120m

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that my overall experience with the client has been worse since the update: crashes while playing, crashes while starting, more stuttering/lag, etc. I'm about to stop playing just to wait for an update.

@Budzilla @Araninke @Roccandil

Sorry to hear it's worse now, most people we've tested with have had significant performance improvements - could you post in the client bugs section or PM me your console.log files? Would like to see if maybe there's something we missed as to certain settings or machine specifications.

• Like 1

Personally I can't manage to get below 60fps no matter what I do, but at the TK slaying yesterday there were more relogging and client crashes than usual, and many complaints about the new client. I hope some of the victims will post logs in the appropriate section.

1 hour ago, Samool said:

Sorry to hear it's worse now, most people we've tested with have had significant performance improvements - could you post in the client bugs section or PM me your console.log files? Would like to see if maybe there's something we missed as to certain settings or machine specifications.

Its pretty decent for me now, even at TOC I can log in 2 clients and move them around, just have to avoid doing something like expanding inventory on log in, seems to need a minute or so to stabilize.

I have had up to 6 clients logged in at once, but it was off deed and seemed to be about the limit of my pc, 16gigs was running around 89%.

Game is broken for me also ..i used to get 60 fps and now its 1 ..i have a iMac computer and i had everything maxed on it and now i turned down all graphics and doesn't make any difference still getting the lowest fps possible 

26 minutes ago, mysterydate said:

Game is broken for me also ..i used to get 60 fps and now its 1 ..i have a iMac computer and i had everything maxed on it and now i turned down all graphics and doesn't make any difference still getting the lowest fps possible 

16 minutes ago, Rumi said:

same as mysterydate, also on iMac 

Please do post your console.logs in Technical Issues section of the forums, you can find the files in the Wurm directory (same as screenshots, chat logs) and put them either in a post or on https://pastebin.com/

• Like 1

Can we have template king robes so we can design based on pmk design

3 hours ago, Samool said:

I can see all my chat/skill/event logs, but I don't see any console logs. I don't see a setting for it, either.

Never mind: found them a couple directories higher.

Edited by Roccandil