Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Freedom affinities from grind.

Recommended Posts

After a quite long internal discussion on how pvp and pve are differents and how pve could/should have a way to gain their affinities without farming them on chaos... a suggestion was proposed :

 

Quote

<snip>

that allows you to get affinties on freedom

maybe by doing a ###### ton of grinding

and you get a rare roll

and you get a chance of an affinity

</snip>

 

Gaining affinities for the actions you do over time would be a nice alternative for pure freedomers who are not interested in PvP and a nice reward for the grinds and those unsuccessful rare rolls (like we can get rare bones while digging).

 

and the related pvp side of the discussion :

 

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hehe, well, that was a good idea, even if you defended the pvp side of it :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not follow the linked thread closely (just skiped over it and found no answers to my questions though so here goes...):

Does that mean my affinity would switch all the time depending on what I grind if that "rare roll" happens and works and so on?

(my current image of it is we can only have one affinity?)

 

And if my idea of it is wrong, does it mean I could get more than one affinity? How rare would this affinity rare rolll have to be then? fantastic level? supreme level?

 

Just curious, not opposed to the idea itself... sounds like a good solution to your woes with it.

Personally I never cared for affinities as all my chars affinities are junk... guess the best is Animal Husbandry so... err.. yea... I never bothered.

So this would be a interesting way to get one (or some) useful ones for me then... someday.

 

Then again, I always thought of affinities as a "talent" a char was given by birth... like some people in RL are better at this or that.

I heard of this affinity farming ages ago (tho as said - never bothered) and always found it odd that they were interchangeable with this killing method - though I admit it adds a little spice to the PVP side of things.

But in case of Freedom it makes little to no sense to be able to change em this way.

 

Grinding a skill until you get by chance an affinity on said skill sounds pretty reasonable in the design way as well, after all effort pays off in RL as well - you do not always get better... you may develop a talent as well. ^_^

 

My 2 cents and questions on it anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Milkdrop said:

I did not follow the linked thread closely (just skiped over it and found no answers to my questions though so here goes...):

Does that mean my affinity would switch all the time depending on what I grind if that "rare roll" happens and works and so on?

(my current image of it is we can only have one affinity?)

 

And if my idea of it is wrong, does it mean I could get more than one affinity? How rare would this affinity rare rolll have to be then? fantastic level? supreme level?

 

Just curious, not opposed to the idea itself... sounds like a good solution to your woes with it.

Personally I never cared for affinities as all my chars affinities are junk... guess the best is Animal Husbandry so... err.. yea... I never bothered.

So this would be a interesting way to get one (or some) useful ones for me then... someday.

 

Then again, I always thought of affinities as a "talent" a char was given by birth... like some people in RL are better at this or that.

I heard of this affinity farming ages ago (tho as said - never bothered) and always found it odd that they were interchangeable with this killing method - though I admit it adds a little spice to the PVP side of things.

But in case of Freedom it makes little to no sense to be able to change em this way.

 

Grinding a skill until you get by chance an affinity on said skill sounds pretty reasonable in the design way as well, after all effort pays off in RL as well - you do not always get better... you may develop a talent as well. ^_^

 

My 2 cents and questions on it anyhow.

 

Yes, you can get multiple affinities. Right now the only way to change yours, or to accumulate more, is by taking part in PvP--either legitimately or through abuse of game mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I think having affinities pop up on the particular skill we're grinding is a bit...convenient. Unless it turned out to be super super rare. Like on average going from 1-95 would yield one affinity. Maybe even higher.

 

I'd rather repurpose the useless MOIs like for healing wounds, tending, or sowing into giving a chance at a random affinity. Kills two birds with one stone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hailene said:

So I think having affinities pop up on the particular skill we're grinding is a bit...convenient.

 

the fact people abuses a system to get the affinity they want is even more convenient, the point is to avoid abuses and through a decent difficulty make the system viable

 

3 hours ago, Milkdrop said:

Does that mean my affinity would switch all the time depending on what I grind if that "rare roll" happens and works and so on?

 

and no, the idea is to gain more affinities (and specially the ones you want) over time, right now the options are : to die on chaos and have a new affinity roll if you don't like yours, farm alts (which is abusing a mechanism), play by the 'rules' and kill others players on chaos (normal PVP, one affinity stolen from the defeated opponent, purely RNG)... or creating a new one, which is the purpose of that thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Odynn said:

the fact people abuses a system to get the affinity they want is even more convenient, the point is to avoid abuses and through a decent difficulty make the system viable

 

Replacing one super convenient option with a pretty convenient option is a step in the right direction. And you're right, it's definitely a more viable system. But I'd think a system that's properly balanced is best. Of course what is properly balanced is up for debate, but...

 

I think another benefit of having random affinities gained is that it might give people incentive to try new skills they never had. I know if I suddenly got two affinities in, say, large axes I might "Eh, why the hell not!" and go give them a swing (*ba dum tss*)

 

And that sort of adds organic gameplay to the whole system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 if you totaly remove gaining affinity from killing somebody in pvp. Affinity towards some skill should be result of doing that skill more often than other skills thus resulting in you being more efficient in progressing through that skill. They should not be rewards for pvp and should have nothing to do with pvp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

affinites used to be one of the many failed incentive to PvP. McLovin suggestion is to prevent the alt farming and make them an incentive to PvP again, this suggestion is an alternative for people who do not want to play any part in PvP, both goes hand in hand.

 

If the alt farming is stopped and McLovin suggestion to prevent it and virtually cut the ties with the freedom accounts works, freedomers no longer have an option to change a bad affinity or gain/buy new ones, if this suggestion goes on alone, the same alt farming would happen on chaos if nothing is done to prevent it.

 

Both suggestions are a first step in the good direction to have both freedom and PvP playstyle respected. If you want to stab people for fun, it's fine, it should be also fine to do the opposite and have access to the full game through different mechanisms.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-1 Unfortunately despite the downside of freedomers farming affinities I'd rather see that fixed then giving freedomer players more ways to earn affinities. Make it so that they can be earned on Freedom and you are taking away one of the incentives for new players to come over to Chaos and give PVP a try. I dunno... I feel like it is a lot more impressive to see a toon with 50+ affinities if they earned them on Chaos legit then a toon on Freedom who just sat at a forge in complete safety clicking every so often while watching Netflix (or you might find people who macro will benefit or will encourage people to use cheats). If they removed affinity farming then hopefully it will go back to legit pvpers only earning them. So yeah I'd rather see it remain as a PVP only reward and remove affinities or earning affinities completely from Freedom entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 from me. Maybe make it temporary so it stays for 30 days or so? So people grinding one skill get a boost for some time and if they neglet the skill they will lose it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Iberis said:

Make it so that they can be earned on Freedom and you are taking away one of the incentives for new players to come over to Chaos and give PVP a try.

 

And from your post on the second thread, you do not want those who won those affinities to use them on freedom... Sorry, but that's not how it works... any PvP incentive never brought new players to do PvP, the only things those do is let a large member of the community feeling left out.

 

Freedom want to have access to the full game without being coerced into something they do not want to. The whole PvP argument of 'you should do it to gain access to it' is only dividing this community even more when we can coexist with each others. If you want people to play with you, you need to stop making them feel like second class citizens / members / premium players.

 

Different mechanisms, different servers, different playstyle but the same content. Please.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because we have differing opinions does not mean I am treating you or anyone else on Freedom any less. My suggestion on the other thread was not a personal attack, I'm sorry if you misinterpted it that way. It has always been known and claimed even by staff in the past that affinity system is a PVP reward. So my suggestion was to fix that system so that it could work as intended. A simple solution to the affinity farming issue that keeps popping up recently more and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Odynn said:

 

And from your post on the second thread, you do not want those who won those affinities to use them on freedom... Sorry, but that's not how it works... any PvP incentive never brought new players to do PvP, the only things those do is let a large member of the community feeling left out.

 

Freedom want to have access to the full game without being coerced into something they do not want to. The whole PvP argument of 'you should do it to gain access to it' is only dividing this community even more when we can coexist with each others. If you want people to play with you, you need to stop making them feel like second class citizens / members / premium players.

 

Different mechanisms, different servers, different playstyle but the same content. Please.

Exactly, a lot of pvpers feels and often in their statments you can read beetween lines that the game should reward them for pvping and left those who don't pvp out. Forcing people into pvp by setting pvp rewards is wrong and will never actualy increase number of player who want to pvp, everyone should have way to get something by their own way of playing wheather it should be hours long grinding sessions or raids in pvp. It reminds me how some of those players always attack suggestions to bring Lib colosus on freedom, no, no, thats just for us cause we are special because we pvp, if it stays just for pvp more people will come and pvp, yeah right aint gonna happen most people just don't wanna pvp no matter the rewards and will just feel bad as they are left out i hope that some of pvper can comprehend that... Sorry guys but only unique reward for pvping should be the joy of doing something you like imo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a shame to see that people who actively play on Chaos right now are being sterotyped. I know I do not go around the suggestion threads downvoting and trolling, actually it tends to be a large portion of the active Chaos community that contributes and offers some good feedback and suggestions. Yes feedback, that is when someone does -1 a suggestion but gives a solid reason why and is not doing just to troll.

 

Since my downvote on this idea seems to have upset a couple of people I'll try to explain my reasonings a little more.

 

Right now you are suggesting that players are rewarded for essentially just "playing the game". They are not doing anything diferent or special. They are not going out of their way to earn something, all they are doing are playing the game as they would be to get these Freedom affinities. I do not understand how people can justify what I see as a free reward for nothing special. In my opinion it's just greed. You could literally sit infront of a forge and watch netflix and queue up actions. There is no risk, no effort. Meanwhile it would be taking something away from players that are on Chaos or Epic putting effort and risk (not to mention chance/rng of getting that affinity out of everyone on a tab) from a kill.

 

Someone also mentioned temp affinities? Yes that is called the cooking update and they already introduced that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet you still contunue to behave by that stereotype and again calling you who go around and kill people on chaos more special then the ones who stay in front of forge and imp? Some of you are so blind sided That i even wonder why i participate in these discussions. I always state reasons for my downvote and they always are in place, calling them trolling is immature as guess what i don't think your reasons are valid from my perspective. Saying that there is no effort in imping and crafting and valueing effort put into pvp more, are you hearing yourself? Sorry but i don't find pvping that special as you do, i even find crafting more exciting and don't watch netflix or anything else while i do it, but that doesnt mean i'm second class citizen in this game compared to you. And talking about risk affinities are not the only reward from pvp, it is maybe the least of gains you get from being part of pvp so you are very sell compasated for risk even without them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this