Sign in to follow this  
Shrimp

Advice for a disillusioned Unlimited player?

I purchased Wurm Unlimited over a year ago and it was really good. The sense of exploration was really awesome and you could truly feel that you could make anything if you put your mind into it. However, after a while of playing it i understood that the Unlimited community as a whole is very fragmented: Half of it are empty servers that rarely prosper and the other half are these heavily modified servers that i don't care to play in since i'm a vanilla kind of person. The last server i settled in was this Russian one that had vanilla rates and settings and had its history too, so you could explore all these ruins and wonder what happened there in the past, the best experience i have ever had in Wurm. Sadly it closed down some months ago and i'm not proficient enough in Russian to know what happened, so i was left disappointed and with nowhere to go.

To be honest, i was going to try to leave it there and try to forget all about it, but then i remembered that Wurm Online existed and seeing how Christmas holidays are coming it could be nice to try it out. So i came here seeking advice from people about it.

Comparing it to Unlimited, is it too different? From the point of view of someone coming from WU, is it worth it? seeing how Online has premium and all. From what i see, i like how the whole experience is more unified in WO and how it has quite the history behind it, also seeing how it is the traditional way to play it, an experience that for some reason people in WU are trying to reinvent.

Also to ask about where to start and all those noob questions, I'm quite knowledgeable about playing but since i'm not sure if it's too different i might as well ask about it.

Thanks.

Hello Shrimp,

I suggest to try it out. Its not WO and Wu are not very different, only the skillgain might be slower on WO but thats not a bad thing. WO has a big community ... they might be spread over all those servers, but you can travel from server to server so there is a lot to explore. And you alwas have a help channel and a global channel, both are be seen on all servers and people are very willing to help new players out. There are also some villages that take players in, to give them a save place and a close community to start out smoothly. For you as experienced WU player its probably quite easy to start WO, even with low skills. I would suggest to choose a smaller server to not get lost in the wide lonely lands of big servers. But thats something someone could argue about ;). Just try it out, its free play until you reach 20 skillpoints... if you want more skillpoints - premium can be bought with 2 silvers for the first time, so not expensive at all. And after that you can choose if you like to spend real money on it.

I tried WU also but with WU its always a big hype on a server and then playercounts go lower and lower because people reach their goals to fast and get bored after they finished their deeds... . WO has a lot of players that are there for years.

What many people do is play an initial few weeks on WO as a "free" player, which caps skillgain at 20 (you won;t be able to ride a horse, or drive a cart, and the only boat you can use if a rowboat) but those first weeks should give you a chance to decide whether you like it enough to stay.

A second bit of advice -- every new person's start is unique, not only because of who THEY are, but because of the initial area they chose to start in and the people they initially met. Since you can have five characters per email, you might start several new characters scattered on different servers and with a different "playstyle" -- one might be at an "newbie training village" meant to acclimate the player to Wurm (you won;t need that as much, but it can still be a helpful way to star, and a great way to meet the friendliest people in WO), one as a villager for a  larger alliance, one over on the Epic servers (someone here might volunteer to get you a gentle start, since that is pvp lands) ... well and the others on other  servers (unless you already know you like pvp - since  your favorite WU server was russian, despite not speaking russian, and since russians often seem to enjoy pvp (yes that's an over generalization) , you might already be decided you want to go PVP, in which case you definitely want the epic servers. If you are not the intense action type, I believe some have roles for "carebearish" players who prefer staying behind fortified walls and playing more of a support role. 

Maybe five is a bit too much, but start a few, in different settings, take your time with each. The goal is to get settled in a way where you want to stay and play for YEARS, so "wasting" a few weeks settling in is well worth the extra time, if it means you are more likely to still be here in a year or two. After the first few days you will naturally gravitate to the character you "like" the best, which may be due to something as coincidental as a chance meeting that first day  with someone who becomes a lifelong friend.

The more lottery tickets you scratch, the better the odds that one pays out big.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Well, the Russian server had an epic setting, had the skill curve thing and also had all those very dangerous monsters roaming around (i was once ambushed by a son of nogump, not a fun thing to happen lol). The Russians didn't see me as a threat or something because they all left me alone, so i just kept to myself trying to not bother anyone. They all had their political stuff and everything so i don't think they had the will to deal with someone so small time like me anyways. Maybe the epic servers in here are more free for all? or more aggressive to new people?

The thing is, i kind of prefer pvp more. I am no fighter, but honestly, all there is to do in pve is build stuff and hug friends, and maybe kill critters every once in a while. In pvp you have more things to consider, like relations to other people and security. I do have my noob mistakes and experiences, so i kind of know what i'm talking about.

Join up with my JK deed on Elevation.

Mostly new players on a 1.5 month old deed.  We can give you a safe place to get started without handing you everything on a silver platter, and there's no obligation to stay.  No obligation to leave, either, as long as you're getting along with everyone.

Message me if you're interested.