Sign in to follow this  
Vannin

Breeding needs a revamp.

The main reason for breeding horses is for the 5 speeds you can produce. Yet at 90 Animal Husbandry the main reason for breeding them seems to be to butcher them as there seems to be less than 50% chance of a 5 speed breeding pair producing a 5 speed foal. There are so many 4 speeds produced and even 3 speeds, this then leads to negative traits. 90 AH should reduce the chance of negative traits not increase it!  What is the point of AH skill if someone lower skilled can produce 5 speed horses purely by ensuring they only have those 5 traits and then breed them? And the colours! Just been attending to my Ebony black horses, 5 foals born all from Ebony parents, not a single Ebony foal was born. That may be bad RNG, but come on, there should be a fail safe in there.

I've had 90 AH for about 3 years and breeding seems to be worse now than it's ever been. Can it get some love please?

• Like 12

My mistake 6 foals from ebony parents, one I missed is actually ebony, but is 4 speed ... :blink:

See this thread for details on just how messed up this is:

You're really shooting yourself in the foot by grinding past 50 AH in the current system, which should show that the system needs to be fixed or redone.

• Like 4

Bumping this because this is a huge issue for my wife, Awen, who is AH 80.44 and just as disheartened about this issue. Something really needs to be done for animal lovers who want to truly benefit from having higher skill.

Quick proposal for a new system.

Just like in the current system, you unlock a new trait slot every 10 skill.

All traits are moved into two lists, "Good" and "Bad".

When you breed two animals, all the trait slots you have available (number of traits the parents have plus 1, up to your maximum) make a roll to determine if they are filled with a good or bad trait. The chance is 50% for a good trait when you first unlock a trait slot, weighted toward the ones the parents have, and increases with skill.

This chance would be affected by things like inbreeding, animal ratio, etc.

Maybe magic potions or spells that give a short boost to your chance of a good trait.

This way it doesn't matter how many total good or bad traits there are (as long as there are at least 10), only your skill and additional effects.

EX:

At 10 skill you have 1 slot, with 50% chance of a good trait + 1% per extra skill.

At 50 skill you have 5 slots, with a 100% chance of a good trait in the first slot and 50% chance of a good trait in the 5th slot.

At 100 Skill you have 10 slots with a 100% chance of a good trait in the first 5 slots and a 50% chance of a good trait in the 10th slot.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Quick proposal for a new system.

Just like in the current system, you unlock a new trait slot every 10 skill.

All traits are moved into two lists, "Good" and "Bad".

When you breed two animals, all the trait slots you have available (number of traits the parents have plus 1, up to your maximum) make a roll to determine if they are filled with a good or bad trait. The chance is 50% for a good trait when you first unlock a trait slot, weighted toward the ones the parents have, and increases with skill.

This chance would be affected by things like inbreeding, animal ratio, etc.

Maybe magic potions or spells that give a short boost to your chance of a good trait.

This way it doesn't matter how many total good or bad traits there are (as long as there are at least 10), only your skill and additional effects.

EX:

At 10 skill you have 1 slot, with 50% chance of a good trait + 1% per extra skill.

At 50 skill you have 5 slots, with a 100% chance of a good trait in the first slot and 50% chance of a good trait in the 5th slot.

At 100 Skill you have 10 slots with a 100% chance of a good trait in the first 5 slots and a 50% chance of a good trait in the 10th slot.

awen and I actually really like this concept.... add in negative percentages for inbreeding or poor animal ratio, and positive percentages for things like generational animals (animals bred through long generations of ancestors).

• Like 1

I'm at low 50 AH and happy about it. A friend is in the high 50 AH and unhappy about it. 

About it getting higher. Of course she was not trying to skill, just breeded and sheared and whatever we do these days that increases AH unwillingly.

This needs some tweaks.

• Like 1

I agree, it needs some serious love. I have been unable to breed a 5 speed on this game yet and I've been playing for 4 years. I'm 62 AH. I go out of my way to not inbreed them, and even throw in some wilds occasionally and just end up with a lot of bad/neutral traited animals. No combinations seem to lead to better traits from what I've seen. Ages don't seem to matter, as I've tried breeding matures, aged, vens...and as a player without a alt priest, all of these bad traited are pretty much a deed ratio buster as I always let my animals eat until they get 'fat' tag before I kill them off...so there's no way to remove any bad/neutrals either...and I live in an area with very few people so it's not like I can call on a passing priest to help me genesis them. The new colors don't seem to pass on either.

Have Genesis spawn the list of traits, so one can choose which ones to kill off, that way one could also do away with neutral traits.

I mean, the current system encourages having vast amounts of animals to push the RNG into giving you that smaller portion of good animals, and I thought the whole point of deed ratio was to counter hoarding.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Have Genesis spawn the list of traits, so one can choose which ones to kill off, that way one could also do away with neutral traits.

Great idea. Similar pop-up windows could be added for Dispel, allowing the caster to pick which enchantment to cancel... and maybe even Strongwall, allowing a choice between cave tile collapse and floor reinforcement. There are probably opportunities to update some other spells this way as well.

But getting back to OP, +1 to any changes bringing AH skill into a consistently linear relationship with breeding benefits. Would also love to see desirable traits unique to each species (as has been suggested in other threads) – many of the standard traits are next to useless in, say, sheep or cows.

• Like 1

If the breeding system is going to get a rework, please could we add the following changes as well?

1. Horse names or parts of names have a higher chance of passing down to offspring at a higher AH level.

2. Males can pass on conditions such as champion, greenish, etc. as well as females with a small chance at first, increasing with AH level.

3. Over 90 AH cared for animals never die of anything (currently they drop dead for no apparent reason, even if it's not often)

There is no other skill that gimps itself the higher the level of the skill gets.

If you want to suggest with the topic, to get more horses with higher skill then -1

If you want to sugggest "tailored" horses, choose traits more flexible and choose colors, then .. meh. Genetics is a bit random always. -1

In fact breeding needs a revampt, that you can't easily floor the server with horses.

Deliverance has the problem that the player deeds own so many horses that there is no wild horses anymore for new players.

I find that inacceptable.

Revampt breeding, so that the server count afffects the survival rate of bred animals, and let animals die much quicker if not cared for, or lower the deed ratios.

• Like 1

Breeding revamp should have nothing to do with animal numbers. I'm not even convinced by using it to introduce selection of traits and colours. The major reason and the simple reason that it NEEDS doing ASAP is that you getter better results with 50 skill in Animal Husbandary than you do with 90. That is ridiculous.

• Like 3

In fact, currently it is much better to get a four speed one negative trait horse/bison/sheep/crab/unicorn than a four speed one good trait animal, because you can get rid of the negative trait and keep breeding with other four speed trait animals and hope for five speed, but you can't get rid of the "good" non speed trait.  When you are over 60 but under 90 AH, you will get the biggest mix of non clean speed animals and be forced to buy clean five speeders from lower skilled chars.

• Like 1

Just wanted to point out that this is possible (and probably shouldn't be):

[12:54:47] It has a strong body. It looks feeble and unhealthy. It looks unusually strong and healthy.

7 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Just wanted to point out that this is possible (and probably shouldn't be):

Other split personalities display It has some kind of illness and it is unusually strong and healthy.  Strong legs and malformed legs or strong legs with legs of different length too...guess those malformed and different length legs are at least strong!

happy-sad-gif.gif

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:53 AM, Vannin said:

The main reason for breeding horses is for the 5 speeds you can produce. Yet at 90 Animal Husbandry the main reason for breeding them seems to be to butcher them as there seems to be less than 50% chance of a 5 speed breeding pair producing a 5 speed foal. There are so many 4 speeds produced and even 3 speeds, this then leads to negative traits. 90 AH should reduce the chance of negative traits not increase it!  What is the point of AH skill if someone lower skilled can produce 5 speed horses purely by ensuring they only have those 5 traits and then breed them? And the colours! Just been attending to my Ebony black horses, 5 foals born all from Ebony parents, not a single Ebony foal was born. That may be bad RNG, but come on, there should be a fail safe in there.

I've had 90 AH for about 3 years and breeding seems to be worse now than it's ever been. Can it get some love please?

+1 bump - please attend to AH so increased skill is worth pursuing WITHOUT risking five speed babies.  Please allow for this:  Five speed bred with five speed automatically transfers five speed traits to baby, plus one GOOD trait at 60 AH.  At 70, five speed with five speed transfers five speeds to baby plus two random GOOD traits.  80 is five speed babies plus 3 good traits.  You get the picture.

If you have a four speed plus four speed at 60 AH, then the baby is automatically five speed plus random good trait.  Even two speed plus 3 speed (so all five speed traits are covered) renders a five speed baby at 60 AH.  

At 70 you can breed a one speed plus four speed (disregard any other good traits) and it gives automatic five speed, plus random two good traits.  Or you can breed a three and two speed to give automatic 5 speed.

At 80 you can breed random horses and almost be guaranteed a five speed baby (regardless of their traits before breeding).  At 90 you can breed wild horses and be guaranteed a five speed baby.

The main idea is that you retain the five speed traits from 50 AH upwards.  The first check is to fill the speed traits.  Random GOOD traits are given after that.  This includes giving specific colours to babies as well, e.g. ebony blacks will transfer to babies and the higher your AH the bigger chance that rare colours can be produced and especially transferred to babies if both parents are that colour (e.g. golden parents give golden baby, piebalds give piebalds etc.)

Please include in this that unicorns being bred can have a random chance to have a coloured baby (just shimmer not skittle).

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2

Really really need them to do something to fix this. It's currently broken and I'm not even bothering with the skill anymore because of it...I randomly breed wilds together now just for horses to use...and I'm about ready to just go with plain wilds for my carts, because no matter what I breed I get bad traits/neutrals thrown in...I'd rather they do an update where we could 'slot' certain traits depending on what we need(Based on skill, obviously), and just add a whole lot more traits to the animals...so we could have stuff that would be helpful for domestics also...like more milk or more wool or something. Make it so we have to actually pick/choose depending on situations...and not just go for 5 traits or whatever...

• Like 1

Please do NOT nerf animal breeding. Wurm if you want to add things to make higher skill more interesting, cool. But for the love of the Wurm, don't nerf it so those of us with 50 skill suddenly can't do what we did before.

+1 to choosing what trait to remove with Genesis.

+1 to something being done to stop us being less skillful the more skilled we become.

• Like 1