header.png

“The sea is not our enemy!  It’s those blasted ungainly large rats that chewed through the hull and helped themselves to all of the rum in the hold!  They are the true enemy we face.”

Sir Nimoy at the loading docks

Hi everyone,
A short and sweet news this week, as most work focusing on under the hood features and ongoing feedback discussions, there's a few things that may come but we haven't reached a final decision on the hows or whats, but we still have some things to go into this week!
But first..

Patch Notes

Spoiler

General changes:

• Wires can now be put into bulk bins.
  • Added explanatory note to Manage Roles for  “May Place NPCs” to indicate that the wagoner portion is citizen only.
  • Lurker in the woods cast pendulums will now show the name of the champion creature located instead of “presence”.
  • Lurker in the woods and Lurker in the deep cast pendulums will now scale according to server size:
    • 2048 tile servers will be power / 100 x 64 = tile radius. (100 cast = 64 tile radius, 80 cast = 51 tile radius, 50 cast = 32 tile radius)
    • 4096 servers will be power / 100 x 128  = tile radius. (100 cast = 128 tile radius, 80 cast = 102 tile radius, 50 cast= 64 tile radius)
    • 8192 servers will be power / 100 x 256 = tile radius. (100 cast = 256 tile radius, 80 cast = 204 tile radius. 50 cast = 128 tile radius)

Mission changes and fixes

• If Freedom missions are not 33% complete after half the duration they will be set to expire in 12 hours after the check.
  • Lurker in the Dark cast pendulums will now also find mission traitors.
  • Bugfix:  Deep sea creatures spawned for missions should no longer spawn in shallow waters.
  • Bugfix:  Trees for missions should properly spawn in the perimeters of deeds instead of on deed or very far away.
  • Bugfix:  Traitor name and glow indicator should not disappear with server restarts if the mission is still active.

General fixes:

• Bugfix: Fixed the issue with adding or removing the new brand group permission showed in history as Unknown.  It should now correctly indicate the name ‘Brand Group’.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the ‘That item is already busy’ error when dragging bulk containers after having emptied them.
  • Bugfix:  Combined archaeology armor pieces should now have a material type.

Community Assistant applications 
Community Assistant applications are now open! We're looking for knowledgeable and enthusiastic players to join our CA team to help new and old players alike, if you would like to join the team, and meet the requirements, make sure to apply! 

If you would like to join, but aren't sure how to go about it, we require a minimum amount 30 days of playtime, and we do use participation in CA HELP channels to ensure you know what you're talking about, so keep playing, answering questions, and learning! 

Ongoing optimisations
A big focus of ours is improving performance with the new client, and part of that is focusing on large groupings of players (Be it through travelling, community events, or PvP encounters. One specific area of this is a new player texture system using a compressed format, which will result in faster player texture building (less stutter and faster switching when equipping armour) and less memory consumption when many players are around, as well as less stuttering when players enter local.

These are improvements we've all been eager to see, just in time for the Christmas activities! 

Community Content

This weeks community content is an awesome little plaza I found while travelling Release. Built by Leifar (and maybe others, sorry!) It uses multiple paving types, and diagonal paving to build an awesome design, helpful for anyone lost (especially with how bad the roads are on Release) Have you seen any intricate paving? Share your favourite down below! 

Spoiler

paving.png

That's it for this week, next week we should have a firmer date on the WU beta, and hopefully closer to the release of saddlebags and animal crates (fingers crossed!), so keep tuned for that! until then though, keep on Wurming! 
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 18

That's an amazing display of workmanship on the plaza, well done!

• Like 4

That screen shot does not do Leifar's work enough justice, totally worth seeing it in person if you're out and about on Release! 

• Like 2

That plaza looks amazing but the OCD screams out saying that is not pointed North!

Sadly we have news each week but where are the features promised?

Animal Cages, Saddle Bags

useful archaeology  (we really didn't need more toy skills)

missions that can once again contribute to a players sleep bonus pool

what change is coming up next that will drive more players out of the game?

• Like 3

Awesome looking plaza, now where's the standalone screenshot of it, so I can like it? :D

• Like 1

Any chance of us getting the animal crates by the end of the year? It's be the best Christmas present ever :D

17 minutes ago, Niki said:

dock teaser?

wishful thinking, looks like a normal dirt dock to me

Love seeing community content from my server <3 Leifar did an awesome job, and I get to ride through his plaza often, as we are close neighbors. I do have to agree though, the roads on Release are sadly disappointing. The prospect of smoother events sounds lovely, as that lag when you first hit local with lots of people does get annoying. Excited to see how it works out :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Ongoing optimisations

A big focus of ours is improving performance with the new client, and part of that is focusing on large groupings of players (Be it through travelling, community events, or PvP encounters. One specific area of this is a new player texture system using a compressed format, which will result in faster player texture building (less stutter and faster switching when equipping armour) and less memory consumption when many players are around, as well as less stuttering when players enter local.

These are improvements we've all been eager to see, just in time for the Christmas activities!

The kind of update everyone loves.

Loa pmk set looks sweet, from what I seen, freedom will love the colors. 

• Like 1

I am glad to see improvement from lag.When we have a lot of people in local chat or just from item in game.I live at glasshollow market it seems to me people always talk about lag near us.And I would love to have animal cages.But to improve lag in the game I am willing to wait for the cages.Just my input so keep up the good work Devs I trust your judgement

First of all, thank you for good work all devs and especially any and all optimization.

Secondly, I guess I'll take this chance and snipe in some advertisement on my recent project. My excuse is, it is for public use and I can't find any better way of making people aware of new opportunity (I'm bad at advertising and rarely speak in chats.) Also I know there are people who only read Valrei international and skip lot of other forum posts, especially if not directly related to their own server.

So to put it simply it is two canals, connecting Hammer Lake on Xanadu to smaller lake (which I call Little lake, as it has no commonly accepted name) to west of it. (If you are not familiar with Xanadu or lake names, first canal starts around M11 towards west) Then longer canal connects that lake to ocean at west. Hammer Lake already had 2 canals in existence, so in that way it is only one more passageway to ocean. But the Little lake had no boat access prior to this. Also, the existing 2 canals before this were not accessible for deeper than knarr passage (at least to my knowledge). So this combo of new canals also opens up caravels etc. entering/exiting Hammer lake area.

I hope these will be beneficial to other players.

- Nestangol

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 10:23 AM, Retrograde said:

Ongoing optimisations

So I won't lag constantly on xanadu or constantly get out of position errors when walking at 7km/h? That would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Araxiel said:

So I won't lag constantly on xanadu or constantly get out of position errors when walking at 7km/h? That would be nice.

lol xanadu and wont lag in same sentence, funny stuff

• Like 1

Can't wait for the client to be... OPTIMIZED!

Do look forward to animal cages aswell.

Edited by gooner_

On 12/1/2017 at 9:24 AM, JakeRivers said:

That plaza looks amazing but the OCD screams out saying that is not pointed North!

Sadly we have news each week but where are the features promised?

Animal Cages, Saddle Bags

useful archaeology  (we really didn't need more toy skills)

missions that can once again contribute to a players sleep bonus pool

what change is coming up next that will drive more players out of the game?

Ah yes, the typical "Wah wah, you added new stuff but you didn't add exactly what I want, you're killing the game!" post. The devs announced saddle bags very recently, of course they're not out yet.
Devs, thank you for archaeology, not everything in this game has to be able 'useful items that make me more effective at combat/harvesting/build', the fact that there is so much purely aesthetic, visual fun, 'toy items' gives the game the depth needed to feel like it's so much more than just a bad hack and chop simulator. 
Also, thank you for taking the time to make sure that animal crates and saddle bags aren't rushed out into some buggy, broken state. Sure, waiting can be frustrating, but we have more than enough stuff to keep us busy, so please keep working hard, but know that getting them immediately isn't the end of the world. 

18 hours ago, Arronicus said:

Also, thank you for taking the time to make sure that animal crates and saddle bags aren't rushed out into some buggy, broken state. Sure, waiting can be frustrating, but we have more than enough stuff to keep us busy, so please keep working hard, but know that getting them immediately isn't the end of the world. 

Personally I'd be happy for any animals crossing server borders abilities, even if it is a bit buggy at first while the devs work out any problems. Any new feature is likely to have some hiccups, but I'd rather have that than nothing.

2 minutes ago, Attenia said:

Personally I'd be happy for any animals crossing server borders abilities, even if it is a bit buggy at first while the devs work out any problems. Any new feature is likely to have some hiccups, but I'd rather have that than nothing.

That's what you think now, but if they rushed it out and suddenly you lost several 5 speed horses or bison you would be saying otherwise. Be patient.

• Like 1