Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Apply trait system to farming

Would be very cool if the veggies, seeds, herbs, spices, and other growable things we foraged were "wild" varieties, and if planted and cultivated, could result in appropriately-traited offspring, that we could then develop based on our farming/gardening/forestry skills. :)

If nothing else, the wild, forage-able varieties could be smaller and provide less food.

• Like 1

-1 to any new food additions. There are already plenty of recipes and every affinity can be made. Also, foraging for less yield impacts noobs. 10ql and below for food is already bad enough, wouldnt be fun to lower the weight more.

Er, I wasn't referring to the affinity system. I'm thinking more along these lines for plantlife traits:

"Will yield more/less"

"Will grow quicker/slower

"Will be higher/lower QL"

"Perennial: will reseed after harvesting"

And so forth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armyskin said:

-1. We don't need 5 speed cucumbers.

actually that does sound useful

Could be nice.

Fast growing crops, but less quality.

More abundant harvests that take are more affected by tending (2 or fewer tends in a harvest reduces crop yield compared to not tending normal crop, 3 breaks even, and 4 or more will to higher yields).

Higher quality harvests that take longer to grow.

Rather than having separate breedable plants, I would suggest using a different plant command (like plant center vs planting naturally for sprouts).

• Like 1

stop +1 these posts, I mean if he toss's out a few dozen more he might hit something worth doing a +1 for, so far rip

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

stop +1 these posts, I mean if he toss's out a few dozen more he might hit something worth doing a +1 for, so far rip

All his automation junk is basically crap, but some of his other ideas have merit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Er, I wasn't referring to the affinity system. I'm thinking more along these lines for plantlife traits:

"Will yield more/less"

"Will grow quicker/slower

"Will be higher/lower QL"

"Perennial: will reseed after harvesting"

And so forth.

Oh! Out of all the villages I lived in I heard complaints related to this from the farmers. They asked if there was anything to pay attention to with farming and every answer was just "Plant it and farm it as many times as you can for skill. U get gud and crops get gud". The animal husbandry mechanism is already much more fun to maintain and it would be cool if the crops can undergo the same thing. I think the most positive effect would be to have this apply to trellises (not trees) as well to give them a nice buff that requires work... Trellises are still bad right?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

What, are you -1 just because it's me? :P I'm flattered. :)

• Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 4:20 AM, JakeRivers said:

+1

I agree with Jakerivers, this is a good idea, but could use a little more fleshing out. I particularly like Jake's helpful suggestion that building on the idea more would have it better come across as crops with growth traits and yield or weed resistance traits, instead of assuming silly things like combat rating or movement speed. 

+1

On 11/30/2017 at 1:46 PM, JakeRivers said:
On 11/30/2017 at 0:35 PM, armyskin said:

-1. We don't need 5 speed cucumbers.

actually that does sound useful

We're just skipping past the 5 speed cucumber idea?

...oh.

Okay.

• Like 1