Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Wurm VR

So I recently joined VR and bought myself a HTC VIVE. My question here is VR supported in Wurm yet or when is this going to become supported? I remember seeing a teaser for it, wondering if it's still planned.

Thanks.

tat would be kinda neat but isn't the vr equipment still priced outta this world.. I haven't checked for awhile but I do remember the first time i looked it wasn't worth it with the titles out there//let me know if things have changed... thanks./.

Game breaking bugs such as embark bug, hell horses dissapearing inside walls, stability crashes during pvp and boats going rogue while crossing servers have still not been fixed, and you are expecting the implementation of VR? I would sit down while waiting on that if I was you. You might have to wait for a little while.

• Like 2

Just now, Angelklaine said:

Game breaking bugs such as embark bug, hell horses dissapearing inside walls, stability crashes during pvp and boats going rogue while crossing servers have still not been fixed, and you are expecting the implementation of VR? I would sit down while waiting on that if I was you. You might have to wait for a little while.

This game has always had bugs, not sure why any of that matters.

However having those bugs fixed would be a nice addition.

• Like 1

i have not personally tried it, but you should be able to setup vr with vorpx.  I have been meaning to try, i have Oculus and if i have some time i could flesh out a settings file and post somewhere.  As i understand a settings file can be used by Oculus or Vive with, i suspect, minimal tweaks...assuming someone else has not already done this.

Buddha (a dev) is working on it as far as i know.

If you experience VR you would love to play all your games in vr. If a game dev experience vr theres a high chance that he  would love to make his game also vr able.

The price of vr equip doesnt make it less awesome. :D

Without vr you play a game, with vr you are in a game.

Edited by zeeph
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, zeeph said:

Buddha (a dev) is working on it as far as i know.

If you experience VR you would love to play all your games in vr. If a game dev experience vr theres a high chance that he  would love to make his game also vr able.

The price of vr equip doesnt make it less awesome. :D

Without vr you play a game, with vr you are in a game.

Would be nice to get a dev response on this. I wouldn't mind if there was VR on test even so I could try it.

VR is more of a proof of concept than anything actively being worked on, there's currently zero plans on it, plenty more needs to come first. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

VR is more of a proof of concept than anything actively being worked on, there's currently zero plans on it, plenty more needs to come first. 

Why was it teased then. Way to get my hopes up, seems like you also lied about the loyalty improvement thing, it's been months and I haven't seen anything. Another proof of concept I take it.

Edited by Niki

A friend of mine who played WU tried to get his Gear VR working with it. I believe it was more of a virtual desktop type thing though, but had the head movement matched. The downside was a pretty noticeable latency between moving your head, and the characters head moving.

The current state of VR is in its infancy and very crude at that. You have this large uncomfortable mask sitting on your head and must move body parts to "immerse" yourself into whatever platform is attempting to promote this gimmick as anything of substance. When you can just attach some small pads to the side of your head and then are "transported" into another game world or application and then accomplish all things within it without any movement and only *thought*, then you have *Virtual Reality*.

All this current VR nonsense is just that. We have not yet, nor for a long time will, progressed to the Star Trek/Matrix level yet in terms of *thought apparatus*. Good to read that there are "zero plans for it" in WO since zero effort is wasted and other more reasonable progress is on the agenda.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
word

9 minutes ago, Ayes said:

The current state of VR is in its infancy and very crude at that. You have this large uncomfortable mask sitting on your head and must move body parts to "immerse" yourself into whatever platform is attempting to promote this gimmick as anything of substance. When you can just attach some small pads to the side of your head and then are "transported" into another game world or application and then accomplish all things within it without any movement and only *thought*, then you have *Virtual Reality*.

All this current VR nonsense is just that. We have not yet, nor for a long time will, progressed to the Star Trek/Matrix level yet in terms of *thought apparatus*. Good to read that there are "zero plans for it" in WO since zero effort is wasted and other more reasonable progress is on the agenda.

=Ayes=

Have you tried it? I felt the same way until I gave it a shot.

7 hours ago, Niki said:

Have you tried it? I felt the same way until I gave it a shot.

only ppl without vr talk like that. :D

I dont know anybody who talked bad about vr, after he tried it. no matter what age, or if gamer, or non-gamer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zeeph said:

I dont know anybody who talked bad about vr, after he tried it. no matter what age, or if gamer, or non-gamer.

Meet me then... I tried the VIVE and Rift and both left me with throwin up, headaches and so on which totally killed the experience for me.

I'm with Ayes on that subject, because until we get to the "hook your brain up to a virtual world" ala Sword Art Online Tech I just don't see people like me who easily get sick from it getting a good experience out of it.

It is a interesting experiment to me that does have some pratical use in the industry, but for gaming it is just not good enough yet.

Specially for Wurm which I play hours to no end to grind skills, I don't think I need to have my eyes focused on the forge and see it as if it stood in front of me in RL while still pressing my improve and repair hotkeys on items in a window and then I can not even watch a movie besides or do whatever else cause I limit my vision to anything within the VR headset.

Exploring maybe more fun in that way... but I would not switch to a VR headset just for that, I do not explore the Wurm lands enough for that.

Currently it has to many downsides for me to be considered good or worth its money - thats my personal view anyhow.

Even if I did not throw up after 30mins of it though... for me it would need a lot more physical feedback to my body so that I would truely feel as if I was in that world I see there plus not having to dedicate a entire room to VR so I can "move around" or buy other fancy gadgets like treadmills to make this happen and even that is not perfect.

I had big hopes back when the Rift was announced, but they all have been crushed.

My next hope is they build upon it and polish the experience so that when the medical side of things develops a proper brain interface we can go and have fun right away. :3

Give me a Nerve Gear, solves all issues.... introduces a few others, but I can life with those... I think... ^_^

Edited by Milkdrop
typos v.v

I'm inclined to agree with Milkdrop.  VR is a cute thing for those with too much spare cash, but it's not a killer app.  I've tried some of the main current offerings, and in fact contributed a fair bit of research into early VR hardware (15 odd years ago), and although it's fun to play with, it's just not compelling.  It may well be that someone will come up with a really good use, but as of right now, my reaction (and I suspect many others) is 'meh'.  I've seen the 'VR is the next big thing!!!' rollercoaster multiple times already, so I'll be saving my excitement for when it actually takes off.

U should try e.g. Elite Dangerous in vr, i believe u might get then the wow effect.

Also i do watch some series/movies that my gf is not watching with me in a Cinema (with virtual desktop).

So my screen isnt just 22" or whatever, the screen is as huge as in the Cinema.

I understand if someone has medical problems with using VR (what i dont have), but i think its mostly about the price that prevent ppl to see the awesomenes. ;-)

Like i would say who buys a ferrari is kinda stupid, to spend that much money for a car. But if I would have 3423425 zillion €, i would have maybe then one too and would love it and prolly never drive another car.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:16 AM, Firestarter said:

A friend of mine who played WU tried to get his Gear VR working with it. I believe it was more of a virtual desktop type thing though, but had the head movement matched. The downside was a pretty noticeable latency between moving your head, and the characters head moving.

Strange, I did not have that issue with my Gear VR.  Though the experience was not as all encompassing as a full dive would be.

update... oh of course, might have to do with the phone used..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enki said:

Strange, I did not have that issue with my Gear VR.  Though the experience was not as all encompassing as a full dive would be.

update... oh of course, might have to do with the phone used..

I think it was a Samsung Galaxy S6. Might internet be a factor too? I'm not too clued up on the technology.

It wasn't teased as a feature. It was shown as a spare time hobby to show, this could work. It was never said to be coming or to one day be implemented. 

Phone VR just isn't the same unfortunately. I've also tried Samsung Gear once and it felt gimmicky to me at the time, it's cheap and affordable though. I was really against VR thinking it was a tech phase people would grow out of it until I tried HTC Vive and was really impressed. While expensive it does justice to VR.

I can't see wurm as the kind of game to go with VR considering most skills just involve standing in place hitting keybinds.