Sign in to follow this  
Nestangol

West Hammer lake Canal

It has finally come time for me to open up my big project for public use. Wooden mine doors are still in place but have been set for Freedom Kingdom to be able to pass.

This is actually 2 canals. First one goes from Hammer lake to west, into the Little lake. From there second canal goes all the way to the ocean.

First one is roughly 420 tiles long going from 1721, -4834 to 1296, -4833 on community map. Second one is roughly 720 tiles long from 1033, -4738 to 311, -4736. Below is picture of the locations.

Both canals are passable by any boat. Driving carts or wagons is not possible, but given locations, there would not be much, if any, need for such. For easy passage it is advisable to stay close to north wall of both canals. Canals are 3 tile wide (with only 1 tile wide entrances), but only north lane is completely cleared of veins and lowered for any ship. In the future I will take out veins in middle lane as well and possibly southern too, but that is not a high priority (all walls are reinforced, and since you can pass through with any ship it is time for me to take care of some other projects). Also anyone is welcome to hack out the remaining veins whenever they wish. For people going through on caravel, the shorter eastern canal unfortunately has your head peeking through the ceiling most all of the way, but the longer western canal is better height (somehow the ceiling does come lower in 2 locations, where you will have you head through it for short moment).

PLOHGNU.jpg

Some history:

Spoiler

This was a project I wanted to do some couple years ago, maybe even longer. That was before there was any canals from Hammer Lake. I had scouted this route preliminary, but being relatively newb decided to first try out by building a shorter canal to the southeast end of Hammer Lake. That is when I discovered Puncher and his alliance (sorry, I have forgotten most names) were already on it. So I went back to planning this one. Puncher&co finished their canal before I had really much started mine and he was going to work with me on this second canal-system. Unfortunately something happened and he and most of his alliance quit in what seemed to me like they disappeared overnight. By then we had probably not worked on this project for more than a day or 2. After that I also had other things occupy me for a bit, but returned to this project later.

Then the next change came, plot course. Very nice feature and I like it very much, but before that this canal still would have had important function to be part of a pass through Xanadu (together with the already built southeast canal and some possible future projects). So seeing the declining number of deeds around Hammer lake and less need for the canal I stopped working on this again. Over time practically all of the already dug tunnel collapsed (the short eastern one, the western canal was not even confirmed 100% for the route yet).

But eventually, I wanted to set my 2nd deed at that Little lake west of Hammer lake and I really hate leaving something unfinished once I've started it. So I made the passage to the Little lake, although it had lot of mistakes made in it's initial setup. Then I thought, why not go all the way and went to build the second part as well. That was much easier and I like it much better because this time around I actually knew what I was doing.

Some pictures:

Spoiler

KquSt0a.jpg

Orange gate (The west entrance to the 2nd (western) canal)

jnFEtoR.jpg

Apple gate (The eastern entrance to the 2nd (western) canal)

MEYApLa.jpg

Lemon gate (The western entrance to 1st (eastern) canal)

UbnVRw9.jpg

Cherry gate (The eastern gate to 1st (eastern) canal)

bJrzjvc.jpg

This is from 2nd canal on a caravel. May give slightly claustrophobic feeling, but both canals are completely passable.

I hope these canals will be good help for lot of players and maybe open up the shores of Hammer lake and the Little lake for some more viable deeds.

- Nestangol

• Like 8