Sign in to follow this  
RavenLure

Clay.......

Mix the fluid

Get to 30 faith

Become a priest (no-one charges)

Cast bless to get your fluid (takes <10 mins to get a cast)

Annoy your god till you depriest (go unfaithful and then either cut trees, mine or dig)

Problem solved

This is why I never list transmutation fluid as a priest feature, because it really is just "a little extra effort" for crafters and there is rarely (if ever) a paid priest involved.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Cast bless to get your fluid (takes <10 mins to get a cast)

People are kind enough to cast courier for free, Im sure there is a kind soul out there that could cast bless as well.

As for suggesting transmutation to be easier, nope. Infact id rather transmutation be removed. Regional resources like clay and tar was a cool feature to me, made venturing a requirement and fighting a necessity (or guard tower making/safe houses in trips). The fact dirt and sand can be transformed back and forth easily is also annoying. As for tundra and marsh, It would be nice if there was a "mixed grass + dirt -> steppe equivalent". Something like water mixed with grass placed on dirt for marsh, and snowball + water on dirt to make tundra. Moss is fine to me.

18 hours ago, Roccandil said:

I think my problem with that statement is the almost indefinite harvesting. That seems -odd- to me. For one thing, it isn't real, and affects immersion. For another thing, one of the primary attractions/features of Wurm is terraforming, and anything that makes that nearly impossible is in a way game-breaking and self-contradictory.

I realize almost indefinite harvesting is a "resource depletion prevention" system, in line with trees growing (real), veins falling (not real), but clearly it's causing downstream issues.

Any other reason beside running out of resources that clay, tar, etc. don't follow the normal digging rules? If not, then I'd consider making things like tar and clay removable, just like dirt and sand, and add new ways for them to be reformed, say:

"Tar bubbles up from the depths" (new tar tile randomly forming)

"Sedimentary clay has collected on the shore" (new clay tile randomly forming on a shoreline)

how do you start off with talking about immersion breaking, then ask for tiles to be randomly made?

tar does not bubble up (randomly) nor do clay deposits show up.  It takes an awful long time to make clay beds as the amount of time for suspension of particles and distance from the source (mountain to ocean/lake bottom) etc.. :)

• Like 1

As for off-deed roads.

Drop some dirt at the start and the end of the clay/peat/tar field.

Make nice arched bridge above it.

-1 to " I deeded somewhere stupid and now the game needs to change because i messed up" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brew said:

how do you start off with talking about immersion breaking, then ask for tiles to be randomly made?

tar does not bubble up (randomly) nor do clay deposits show up.  It takes an awful long time to make clay beds as the amount of time for suspension of particles and distance from the source (mountain to ocean/lake bottom) etc.. :)

I wasn't looking for perfect, only an improvement.

12 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Something requiring effort and skill to do does not inherently mean it's flawed.

I really enjoy these *mission impossible* suggestions since when I read all the opposition to them it makes me all the more happy when I can just hop onto my favorite WU server and *easily* accomplish them there; and yes, I will go and do just that. In WO when obstacles such as this arise I just don't bother with them and go do other things that I enjoy. I find *avoidance* to be a key ability to cultivate within WO whereas within WU it is a rare occurrence where it is necessary.

Fairyshine summed up the situation very well in her earlier post on how an "easy" way to convert and remove clay would improve the *joyfulness* level of WO, to which I very much agree. The great thing about this situation is that now within *some* servers in WU there is more joyfulness in this respect. Really though, some should learn that WO will never tread very much into this direction. *shrugs*

=Ayes=

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Build a bridge over the clay section, Steve.

I would, but it's diagonal. 
The bridge would have to go out to sea then back to land. no one would bother using it.
besides, it doesn't matter, I'm moving to exo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steveleeb said:

I would, but it's diagonal. 
The bridge would have to go out to sea then back to land. no one would bother using it.
besides, it doesn't matter, I'm moving to exo

+1 to diagonal bridges!

• Like 3

-1, it's supposed to suck. You are not supposed to rely on this game mechanic. It's supposed to be there for small bits of land, or else it will be an extremely time consuming or expensive problem 

58 minutes ago, BrQQQ said:

-1, it's supposed to suck. You are not supposed to rely on this game mechanic. It's supposed to be there for small bits of land, or else it will be an extremely time consuming or expensive problem 

It is a game, it is supposed to be fun, but I may be wrong. 

Don't think of the reverting of these resources in terms of the current situation which is extremely time consuming and expensive.  Think of the possibilities of this process was easy from clay to dirt and easy from dirt to clay.  If the change of clay to dirt or dirt to clay was easier and less time consuming, it would mean that it WOULD NOT MATTER if people changed clay (even bigger areas of tiles covered by clay) to dirt, or the other way around.  It would become a non-issue in terms of resources.

It is okay though, since Retro already stated that it is intended game mechanic, it will remain as is and people who fear a change can stop worrying :P I guess it is the same people who really should never use plot a course ('cause sailing is supposed to suck), hand deliver stuff (cause trading is supposed to suck and mailboxes would be OP, so get out your deed and travel the servers!) and who would never be caught using a wagoner (as ...etc.)  Oh, and don't forget, never use sleep bonus to grind cause grinding is supposed to suck, never use WoA or CoC cause action timers are fine and skillgain is suppose to be this hard, and never use sleep powders because if you play the game and use your up all your sleep bonus, get a life!  It is simples to get in a bed and get sleep bonus!  (But a big THANK YOU to the devs for making these changes for unworthy Wurmians like me who play the game as a casual player and for fun.)

Edit: I even forgot to mention runes and eating meals for affinities, but that is another story.

Edited by Fairyshine

You know you would be correct saying its hard to do and it was very time consuming but you know what that all changed with the cooking update and easy to harvest forestry, because before the cooking update you would only get 1 fruit per tree.

It takes no time at all to mine 100 lumps and pick a few hundred fruits so don't keep going on about how hard this is, its easy to convert.

If you picked some location covered with hundreds of tiles of peat or clay I would say you suck at planning if you don't want to do the transformation.

It really is not hard to transform dozens of tiles if you put your mind to it.

Spoiler

uDpkdE0.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

You know you would be correct saying its hard to do and it was very time consuming but you know what that all changed with the cooking update and easy to harvest forestry, because before the cooking update you would only get 1 fruit per tree.

It takes no time at all to mine 100 lumps and pick a few hundred fruits so don't keep going on about how hard this is, its easy to convert.

If you picked some location covered with hundreds of tiles of peat or clay I would say you suck at planning if you don't want to do the transformation.

It really is not hard to transform dozens of tiles if you put your mind to it.

Hide contents

uDpkdE0.jpg

Great photo, it always amazes me how people can create such structures in this game.  It is one of the greatest things, that creativity of all types of people, is accommodated. 

Converting tiles is hard for me (qualifier).  As I said, I am a casual player and like things to be fun and relaxing rather than complex and laborious.  This also means I would appreciate it if you could come and do the tiles for me, since it is not hard for you. 

2 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

As I said, I am a casual player and like things to be fun and relaxing rather than complex and laborious.  This also means I would appreciate it if you could come and do the tiles for me, since it is not hard for you. 

It is no harder than you make it, all it takes is time and patience.

I almost feel bad saying this because of archaeology, but I still say that could of been much more fun and rewarding for the effort that goes into it.

Edited by JakeRivers

13 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

As I said, I am a casual player and like things to be fun and relaxing rather than complex and laborious.  This also means I would appreciate it if you could come and do the tiles for me, since it is not hard for you. 

Sure, have the lumps and fruit ready and I can do it easy enough.

On 12/1/2017 at 10:09 PM, Fairyshine said:

It is a game, it is supposed to be fun, but I may be wrong. 

Don't think of the reverting of these resources in terms of the current situation which is extremely time consuming and expensive.  Think of the possibilities of this process was easy from clay to dirt and easy from dirt to clay.  If the change of clay to dirt or dirt to clay was easier and less time consuming, it would mean that it WOULD NOT MATTER if people changed clay (even bigger areas of tiles covered by clay) to dirt, or the other way around.  It would become a non-issue in terms of resources.

It is okay though, since Retro already stated that it is intended game mechanic, it will remain as is and people who fear a change can stop worrying :P I guess it is the same people who really should never use plot a course ('cause sailing is supposed to suck), hand deliver stuff (cause trading is supposed to suck and mailboxes would be OP, so get out your deed and travel the servers!) and who would never be caught using a wagoner (as ...etc.)  Oh, and don't forget, never use sleep bonus to grind cause grinding is supposed to suck, never use WoA or CoC cause action timers are fine and skillgain is suppose to be this hard, and never use sleep powders because if you play the game and use your up all your sleep bonus, get a life!  It is simples to get in a bed and get sleep bonus!  (But a big THANK YOU to the devs for making these changes for unworthy Wurmians like me who play the game as a casual player and for fun.)

Edit: I even forgot to mention runes and eating meals for affinities, but that is another story.

If you came up with an idea to flatten mountains within hours, it would make my life easier too right now, but that doesn't make it a great idea. This idea is just like that, it's just removing an important part of the challenge in Wurm and making picking a proper location even less important.

I'm personally a big fan of QoL updates and general fixes that make life easier. However, this isn't one of them. I think the challenge of having to deal with resources based on location is a good part of Wurm.